MMQB: Rams Preview - Defense Might Not Be Enough

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cracengl

Rookie
I think the offensive identity point is valid. I'd hate to completely abandon the ability to utilize some of the spread formations and have more weapons on the field at one time. You can always get better at doing that sort of stuff as your guys mature and learn to execute it more effectively. But being balanced and staying true to the running game is what made the offense start to tick. That said, I guess it's more on Schotty to figure all of this out without blatantly switching from a run only formation to a pass only formation every time he wants to go from one to the other. And if scrapping the open passing game and chalking the draft and free agent decisions of last year up as a loss results in more wins, then it is what it is.

Irish

Starter
Why not? How many people thought, during the 99 offseason, that adding a rookie receiver, a UDFA QB, a FA RB, and new OC would make the Rams jump up 23 spots in total offense and win a SB?

Rookie Receiver- 6th Pick in the draft. Consensus play maker and instant contributor.
UDFA QB- The Buzz was about Trent Green, if you recall. At this point in the off season people were bullish about Green, especially in St. Louis
FA RB- Marshall Faulk was as good a running back as there was in the league at that point. Also, he was traded to the Rams because he was threatening to hold out following a terrific 98 season

Yeah, I will say if the Rams added a legit starting QB on the rise, had picked the equivalent of AJ Green in the 2014 draft with the number 2 overall pick, and traded for LeSean McCoy in the offseason, pundits would be raving about the Rams and not poo pooing them at every opportunity in the press. The 2014 Rams did none of those things.

but are we seriously expecting the addition of a rookie d lineman who will not play every down and a rotational corner and Gregg Williams defense to account for 6-8 sports up in total defense

Last 12 games we averaged 20.25 points allowed per game which would have been 7th over the entire season, is their any reason to believe that with returning every starter, adding a rookie D lineman, a CB who will play around 60% of the snaps, and a competent DC that we can't play to that level for 16 games? Also worth noting that of the 20.25 points we allowed per game 3.6 of those came on drives starting in our own defensive red zone, cut out those and we would have had the league's number 2 D (but that's unrealistic even with Sam rather than Clemens).

and maybe make us top 5 against the run?

Depends what measure you use, total yards? Probably not, we face two teams who have the highest run/pass ratio in the NFL, 2 times per season. Yards per attempt we were already top 5 (2nd in fact).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rookie Receiver- 6th Pick in the draft. Consensus play maker and instant contributor.
UDFA QB- The Buzz was about Trent Green, if you recall. At this point in the off season people were bullish about Green, especially in St. Louis
FA RB- Marshall Faulk was as good a running back as there was in the league at that point. Also, he was traded to the Rams because he was threatening to hold out following a terrific 98 season

Yeah, I will say if the Rams added a legit starting QB on the rise, had picked the equivalent of AJ Green in the 2014 draft with the number 2 overall pick, and traded for LeSean McCoy in the offseason, pundits would be raving about the Rams and not poo pooing them at every opportunity in the press. The 2014 Rams did none of those things.
I was just trying to make a point about expectations being exceeded. If you don't think '99 is a case of that happening, then w/e. We added some pieces on defense, including the coordinator, that *could* propel them up the ranks. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since Peter King's report is getting no love in its own thread, I'll post it here instead. :cool:

Rams Report: Tough slate will mask improvement
The defensive front is the NFL's best and Sam Bradford's confidence is rising as the talent around him continues to grow. But surviving in division with Seahawks and 49ers might be too much to ask for Jeff Fisher and company
By Peter King

chris-long.jpg

Chris Long is one of four former first-round picks on the Rams’ defensive front. (Jeff Roberson/AP)

The MMQB team rolled west into Earth City, Mo., just west of St. Louis, at the Rams’ football complex. This complex opened 18 years ago, but it’s still got a fresh feel to it. Unfortunately, it was a special-teams practice only in advance of the Friday preseason-opener against the Saints, so we didn’t get to see the rebuilt left knee of Sam Bradford in action. A pity. “Wish you’d gotten to see us practice,’’ Bradford said to me after we spoke. Me too.

ONE VIVID MEMORY FROM WATCHING PRACTICE
Michael Sam running upfield as the right side of the two-man wedge block on the kickoff team. Hey, in a special-teams practice, the pickin’s, as they say, are slim. But here was Michael Sam playing NFL ball. That’s worth something. He looked lithe and agile, having dropped 13 pounds (he’s now 257) from his spring practice weight.

HOW THIS TEAM CAN GO 12–4
It is imperative that Sam Bradford become more comfortable—and therefore more aggressive—in Brian Schottenheimer’s system. Schottenheimer is adept at catering to his quarterback’s needs. Last year, with Bradford and the Rams receivers struggling in a new flex, spread-oriented approach, Schottenheimer dialed back and featured a smash-mouth, between-the-tackles running game.

Drafting Auburn tackle Greg Robinson second overall suggests the Rams could remain smash-mouth; they certainly have a stingy enough defense to compete in close, black-and-blue games. But ideally, Schottenheimer will put more on his quarterback’s plate and creatively use Tavon Austin and Jared Cook in the passing game. If they can conjure big plays through the air, the Rams will be home-run hitters on both sides of the ball.

HOW THIS TEAM CAN GO 4–12
If this four-man pass rush declines, the Rams defense is dead. Their talented but callow secondary can’t be expected to shoulder a heavier load in coverage. Playmaking corners like Janoris Jenkins and, to a lesser extent, Trumaine Johnson, count on being able to plant and drive on erroneous quick passes. Erroneous quick passes stem from pressure on the quarterback.

Last season, Robert Quinn was far and away the most dominant edge player in the NFL. With offenses double-teaming and sliding protections towards Quinn, this defensive front’s other first-rounders—end Chris Long, tackle Michael Brockers and rookie tackle Aaron Donald—will draw favorable one-on-one situations. If they cannot take advantage, this defense will become reactionary and incapable of carrying the offense.

NOW, FROM FANTASYLAND …

zac-stacy.jpg

Zac Stacy was a pleasant surprise as a rookie but he’ll have to fight for carries in 2014. (Jeff Roberson/AP)

Keep these tips in mind in this year’s fantasy drafts:

1. Quietly, Zac Stacy has become a very solid running back. He proved as a fifth-round rookie starter last season that he can be a bell cow. True, his 3.9 yards per carry is not gaudy, but with an improved O-line, that number should go up. More importantly, the Rams have shown they’re willing to scale back their offense and pound the rock. Of course, some of Stacy’s touches will go to third-round rookie Tre Mason, but that’s not likely to happen in the tight red zone, where fantasy points can come in bunches.

2. Kenny Britt has been running with the first team so far—a surprise to anyone who has seen the ex-Titan hobble around a balky knee for most of the past two years. The Rams will likely spread the ball around; Britt is just one of six viable receivers to choose from. But chances are good you’ll be able to draft the soon-to-be 26-year-old in the later rounds. He could be a steal.

3. Sad thing for fantasians, the four-game suspension to Stedman Bailey. Sam Bradford loves him, and there was a real chance he’d have been draftable as a deep threat opposite Tavon Austin. Now you can wait till Week 5 to take a flyer on him if you’re desperate for a wideout.

With Stedman Bailey on a four-game league suspension (PEDs) to start the season, playing time at the receiver slots is wide open. The stunning starter should be Britt—still just 25—and Austin will be a regular in the slot. But the other receiver spot will be Quick or Pettis or sometimes Austin, and when Austin moves outside, Jared Cook could play in the slot some …

Tre Mason has earned the chance to take away a bunch of Stacy’s carries … Amazing on defense that not much is up for grabs, other than rotational playing time. If Michael Sam makes it, he’s got to win a roster battle with several fellow defensive linemen. A surprising contender has emerged in camp: free-agent defensive tackle Ethan Westbrooks, who has shown some pass-rush ability from the side.

BEST NEW PLAYER IN CAMP
(tie) Aaron Donald, defensive tackle; Lamarcus Joyner, nickel back. The first- and second-round rookies have been really good early in camp. Donald will be a seven-man defensive-line rotation, and Jeff Fisher indicated to me that the only one of those seven players who will play significantly more than others is Robert Quinn. So Donald will be in the game as the three-technique tackle and maybe even playing outside in some instances. Joyner’s been exactly what Gregg Williams wanted as his nickel—a pain-in-the-rear needler and more physical than a 5-8, 184-pounder should be. And he played lots of nickel at Florida State, so he didn’t have to make much of an adjustment.

STRONG OPINION THAT I MAY REGRET BY NOVEMBER
Aaron Donald will be the defensive rookie of the year.

SOMETHING I’VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE
An openly gay player playing football. Michael Sam was running downfield on the one special-teams unit, kickoff coverage, he is slated to play. If you watch Friday night when the Rams open their preseason against New Orleans at home, Sam will be wearing number 96, and you’ll see him in the middle of the kick-coverage team.

WHAT I THOUGHT WHEN I WALKED OUT OF CAMP
Three things: Sam Bradford is significantly more confident than I remember in either of the previous two camps I’ve seen … Michael Sam is not a distraction of any sort … The Rams might be significantly improved, but the schedule is a bear, and how do you climb Mount Ninerhawk in the NFC West? St. Louis could finish 9-7, out of the playoffs money, and still call the season a success.

*To see Peter King's projected starting lineup click the link and scroll down*

Edit: 4 Michael Sam mentions in this article PK, really? Try to hide your agenda a little better next time. ;)

I think 9-7 has to be considered a success, but I see no reason we shouldn't expect to compete with those two, they both sucked at one point too.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who wishes when we quote from articles that it didn't lead off with our screen name, as if we're the ones who wrote them, especially when they're really dumb statements. :sneaky:

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who wishes when we quote from articles that it didn't lead off with our screen name, as if we're the ones who wrote them, especially when they're really dumb statements. :sneaky:

Stop posting dumb statements then :whistle:.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Wow that guy is an idiot that obviously hasnt seen the rams at all this year, and im not sure he saw them last year. The first 4 games they didnt run a spread. Its not that they didnt want to run, they couldnt run the ball. Richardson was aweful and it wasn't until they let stacy run that the offence became balanced. Unfortunately Bradford got hurt and they couldnt pass as effective. They really only had two and a half games where the offense was complete. The comments on the wrs are idiotic, Bailey came on pretty quick for a rookie, Quick and Britt are looking great, and I must have missed those 151 carries that Austin had. This defense will be great thats all that needs to be said there. Wow....how some people can write crap like that is amazing

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn, getting like a lot of you...But I'll cut him some slack.....Maybe Schotty's mistake was running a spread scheme with wr's that couldn't get open & struggled to catch the rock when they were open. How's a system supposed to work well with these basic limitations? It was doomed by Givens & Tavon....add in Cook too...maybe it would work with Britt & the new & improved Quick, with Steadmon in the slot? I'll read this whole thing later...But his assumptions are a turn off...

Irish

Starter
To his point, if Sam was put in the Oklahoma offense again and had receivers that, you know, could get open and catch, it would cure a lot of the Rams ills. They would be able to score quickly, which would mean they wouldn't be out of games, and it would put less defenders in the box which would be good for Stacy and co.

Honestly, I kind of hope the Rams are able to incorporate more and more of the spread into the offense. Hurry up, quick hitting routes, keep the defenses on their toes and don't let them change personnel.