MMQB On Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
sammy-watkins-960-storyimage.jpg

Robert Beck/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB

The NFL’s Next Big Thing Isn’t Really Big at All
But Clemson wideout Sammy Watkins has the strength to outmuscle linebackers and the speed to leave cornerbacks in his dust. Can this potential top five pick break the mold, or will he just end up breaking a general manager’s heart?
By Greg A. Bedard

*A Tavon Austin mention near the end of the article.*

Clemson’s Sammy Watkins is either going to be a prospect who changes the game when it comes to evaluating receivers for the NFL draft, or he’s going to reinforce long-held beliefs about the position.

When you picture the most physically gifted and dominating receivers in today’s NFL, the list goes something like this: Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon and Demaryius Thomas. They are the best of the best, true nightmare matchups, players for whom defensive coordinators must tailor their game plans.

What do they have in common? They are all extremely strong on the ball in contested scenarios, and each is a perfect blend of size, speed and overall athletic ability. And did I mention size? All of the aforementioned but Bryant and Andre Johnson measured 6-foot-3 or taller at their respective combines. And those two—who aren’t exactly smurfs at a combine-measured 6-foot-2—have vertical jumps of at least 38 inches (not to mention 34-inch arms) that allow them to play even bigger.

Watkins is being talked about as a sure-fire top-10 pick in next month’s draft, perhaps even a top-five pick, which means people are expecting him to have the same impact as today’s top receivers. Yet he stands a mere six-feet and three-quarters of an inch, with 32-inch arms, and has a pedestrian 34-inch vertical. Which means Watkins will have to break the mold in order to live up to the hype.

He may be just the player to do it, because he’s so different from any prospect I can remember seeing. Watkins’ closest NFL comparables are Donte’ Stallworth (the 13th overall pick in 2002) and Torrey Smith (the 58th pick in 2011). Neither of those two has ever earned a Pro Bowl nod, although Smith has developed into a very good player and would be a top 20 pick in a redo of his draft.

sammy-watkins-360-inset.jpg

Watkins against Georgia last August. (Al Tielemans/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)

Like Watkins, Stallworth and Smith are just a shade over six feet. And all three can run—Watkins clocked a 4.43 in the 40, while Stallworth and Smith, respectively, posted a 4.22 and a 4.41. If there’s one big difference, however, it’s that Stallworth and Smith have much better vertical leaps (39 and 41 inches).

But it is Watkins’ build that could prove to be the next step in the evolution of wideouts. For a player of his height, we have yet to see his kind of physical package on an NFL field. While Smith and Stallworth were skinny coming out of college, about 200 pounds each, Watkins weighed in at 211 pounds—and he plays even stronger. He’s essentially a young Anquan Boldin, with speed to burn.

Watch Watkins bowl over an Ohio State defender after catching a short pass; watch him block for a teammate; and watch him catch a pass falling out of bounds with a defender all over his back. These are rare qualities to see in a prospect at the nascent stage of his pro career. Even better is Watkins’ ability to catch the ball with his hands—instead of trapping it against his chest—and make receptions outside the frame of his body. Again, these are elite-level qualities for any receiver, let alone one who turns 21 on June 14.

Then there’s Watkins’ ability to use his speed to take the top off a defense while making over-the-shoulder catches seem so natural. Here are but two examples of that speed: against Syracuse and against Georgia.

Last but not least, Watkins’s production was outstanding in college. He finished with 240 receptions, 3,391 receiving yards and 27 receiving touchdowns against good competition—and with a quarterback throwing to him who won’t be playing on Sundays anytime soon. That Tajh Boyd is even being talked about as an NFL prospect is a testament to Watkins and the rest of Clemson’s impressive group of receivers.

Watkins is almost like a hybrid receiver/running back with the ball in his hands, given his strength, ability to break tackles, and field vision. He can do the same on kickoff returns as well.

So, yes, all that you’ve heard about Watkins is accurate. He’s largely a complete, polished and outstanding prospect worthy of high praise at such a young age. Watkins shows the potential to be a good route runner, and he appears to play with football intelligence, toughness, competitiveness and, at times, a bit of a nasty edge. There’s little doubt he’ll make his next team better.

But there are a few questions NFL teams should be asking: How high is his ceiling? How does that factor into our decision-making? Does that even matter anymore?

In watching eight of his games from last season, I counted 41 of 80 receptions by Watkins coming behind the line of scrimmage, meaning 51.3% of his catches weren’t contested by defenders and were schemed by the offense, with the blocking set up. That is definitely not going to happen in the NFL.

sammy-watkins-chart-800-bedard.jpg

Being a dynamic playmaker in the NFL requires more than simply running past opponents. That will happen on occasion, likely due to a busted assignment, but that’s not how the elite receivers earn zeros-laden paychecks. The best show a consistent ability to beat man coverage. Watkins, thanks to his strength and some shiftiness, appears to have good potential, but he hasn’t come close to proving that just yet. Almost all collegiate pass coverage (save Alabama, which Clemson didn’t play) lines up anywhere from five to 10 yards off the receiver. Watkins has also flashed some ability to win 50-50 balls and make plays that seem virtually impossible, but he still has far to go in this regard, which really separates the very good from the dynamic playmakers.

Elite NFL receivers have height, length and/or jumping ability to help them make game-changing plays. Watkins lacks those qualities. But his vast strengths, which some of the league’s elite receivers don’t possess, may compensate for any perceived deficiencies.

So, too, might changes in NFL offenses.

While the big and fast receivers still dominate the NFL, the trend toward using more multiple receiver sets and spread offense tactics has raised the profile of the multidimensional receivers. The Rams took 5′ 8½” “receiver” Tavon Austin with the eighth overall pick in ’13, a clear departure from traditional top-10 receivers. While Austin’s initial impact was minimal, the shift in NFL thinking at the position was real. Watkins represents a true tweener, between the Tavon Austins of the world and the position’s long-established prototype.

Sammy Watkins just might be the right guy, at the right time, to change the game at receiver.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Tavon Austins of the world? I dont know that ive seen a player quite like tavon before. Some lofty praise for Watkins in this article, will be interesting to see how it pans out

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, there was certainly a lot of hyperbole in that article. *ducks* :LOL:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well that article just changed my mind. I'm serious.

Sammy turns 21 on the same day my oldest son turns 21 which also happens to be Flag Day. Sam Bradford was born on November 8th which happens to be MY birthday. So we'd have Sammy born on my birthday throwing to Sammy born on my oldest son's birthday. And being that Sammy was born on Flag Day, they have to honor him by allowing him to draw flags on the defenders. There is too much of a coincidence there to overlook. It was meant to be. Kismet as it were.

Make it happen Rams.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sammy turns 21 on the same day my oldest son turns 21 which also happens to be Flag Day. Sam Bradford was born on November 8th which happens to be MY birthday. So we'd have Sammy born on my birthday throwing to Sammy born on my oldest son's birthday. And being that Sammy was born on Flag Day, they have to honor him by allowing him to draw flags on the defenders. There is too much of a coincidence there to overlook. It was meant to be. Kismet as it were.

Make it happen Rams.

im sold...cant fight fate

paceram

Pro Bowler

Make it happen Rams.

Sounds like a "SIGN" to me! I will not be unhappy at all if the Rams choose Watkins with their 1st pick (although, I am still keeping my fingers crossed they end up with Clowney!)!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Make it happen Rams.
Logical.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seemed pretty objective to me.

It wasn't that the article was poor or unfair. He just lost me in a couple areas that I felt were a bit exaggerated:
Watch Watkins bowl over an Ohio State defender after catching a short pass; watch him block for a teammate; and watch him catch a pass falling out of bounds with a defender all over his back. These are rare qualities to see in a prospect at the nascent stage of his pro career.

Watkins has also flashed some ability to win 50-50 balls and make plays that seem virtually impossible

These two areas are the best examples.

The three examples he used, I wouldn't really call rare qualities. I have a really high standard for what I'd call "rare". Tavon Austin's elusiveness is "rare". JaDeveon Clowney's speed is "rare" for his size/position. Larry Fitzgerald's hands are "rare". Again, I'm not trying to marginalize Watkins's skill-set. All three videos show positive attributes. But I could show you Mike Evans doing the same thing. Could find examples of other WRs in this class doing it as well. Which is why I think rare is an exaggeration.

And while the catch in the video above is a great play. I wouldn't call it a "virtually impossible" play. This is what I'd call a virtually impossible play:

Am I nitpicking? Yea. You got me. But I just think he was being hyperbolic.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Watkins will be burning NFL CBs and running them the fuck over in his rookie year. He will become more of a Steve Smith type bully WR as he gains NFL experience.

All teams that pass on him will regret it.

Words from The Most High. Remember them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
im sold...cant fight fate
No doubt. Think about it. We know what we read and see on film and in some cases what we've seen while watching games. Pretty easy to put the best impression out there with those sources. We all watch as players climb the boards after the season. You KNOW most of that has to be hype. So what are you left with? Hunches based on the info the powers that be want you to have?

I'm going with the REAL intangibles.

And before anyone thinks I'm trying to poke fun at the Watkins crowd, I'm not. Look. There are four or five players in this draft at or around our first pick that would all look good in horns. I'll continue to want them to draft a couple studs for the O-line. But when it comes right down to it, I'm a fan and the NFL is entertainment for me. I'm not going to sway Snead or Fish with my brilliant scouting takes. I might as well make the first pick of the draft something fun for me to pull for.

So from here on out, I am in the draft Sammy Watkins camp. I've always believed he'd be a very good player anyway. So rather than argue for someone else that I might have thought was a better pick or a better fit, I'm all in on Sammy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And while the catch in the video above is a great play. I wouldn't call it a "virtually impossible" play. This is what I'd call a virtually impossible play:

Oh yeah?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Watkins will be burning NFL CBs and running them the freak over in his rookie year. He will become more of a Steve Smith type bully WR as he gains NFL experience.

All teams that pass on him will regret it.

Words from The Most High. Remember them.
But only because he was born on my son's birthday.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Marc Bulger signed his big contract on my birthday.... I thought it was a good sign.... I thought wrong.

As for Watkins, i have cooled off on him a bit. Was high on him for a while now its meh. He is still a great prospect, dont get me wrong, just dont think he is going to be as good some analysts and people think. We shall see though. If the rams select him i know we will all hope he does great.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Marc Bulger signed his big contract on my birthday.... I thought jt was a good sign.... I thought wrong.

As for Watkins, i have cooled off on him a bit. Was high on him for a while now its meh. He is still a great prospect, dont get me wrong, just dont think he is going to be as good some analysts and people think. We shall see though. If the rams select him i know we will all hope he does great.
No more birthdays for you.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Torrey Smith / Donte Stallworth comparion? I see more of a Torrey Smith / Chris Chambers comparison only with better hands. Either way a good WR, but not the elite guy that some seem to want to believe, IMO.

tbux

Rookie
Torrey Smith / Donte Stallworth comparion? I see more of a Torrey Smith / Chris Chambers comparison only with better hands. Either way a good WR, but not the elite guy that some seem to want to believe, IMO.

Yeah dont see either of those guys in his play- I agree more on a faster Boldin type. And who wouldnt want a fast Boldin? he was pretty great with less than avg speed- imagine him with 4.4 speed and quickness- whoa. He is going to be a great one- not much doubt in my mind.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think this is going to weigh heavy on evaluators;

In watching eight of his games from last season, I counted 41 of 80 receptions by Watkins coming behind the line of scrimmage, meaning 51.3% of his catches weren’t contested by defenders and were schemed by the offense, with the blocking set up. That is definitely not going to happen in the NFL.

I like the player, gets me a little excited for Sam Bradford, but I'll be shocked if we drafted him.