MMQB: Let Goff Sit (Just Look at Bortles)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
i mean i get fisher is pretty much in a position where a number of things happen and there's more bad than good

Truth. Fish needs to win, otherwise he's gonna get railed regardless of outcome with Goff.

I think Goff will look good when they put him in, and of course as you point out all the negative questioning will change to "why didn't you start him sooner?" Which will be valid too, btw. Only way to circumvent all that is a nice win streak that positions the Rams for the playoffs, which means we need our defense to actually show the F up for the next four weeks and squeeze out at least three wins.

The only way Fish wins is if the team is positioned well for the playoffs and the kid comes in and makes the offense better.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The media types love to trot out the comparisons, but the problem is we can never know the alternate reality. If Aaron Rodgers didn't sit for three years, would he still have ended up the Aaron Rodgers of today? No way to tell. No way to know exactly what he got out of sitting versus what he would have got out of playing. Every person is different. Everyone learns different. No way to know if Goff is getting more out of sitting than playing. Call me crazy, but those that don't know where the sun rises like Goff might not be the big book lernin' type. My hunch is that he'd learn way more by actually playing in one "unprepared not ready" game than one year of training on a virtual reality system or against scout D or watching film or having Weinke scribbling things on a surface pad during the game while Goff's checking out the cheerleaders. But Goff's saying all the right things about sitting out helping him, and obviously the coaching staff is seeing progress while he sits, so we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Goff and Bortles are totally different.... And I like Bortles too...but man he was throwing the rock terrible the other day....He always threw like that? His receivers sure are helping him.... hahahahahaha

Goff needs to play...No other way around it...Unless Keenum can WIN more games than he LOSES....and he's showing he can't win very winnable games.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Bortles is a Local for me so I hear a lot about him from our media. Just yesterday, my afternoon sports talk radio show shared something that was kinda interesting....

Bortles informed the team yesterday that he has hired his own personal QB coach to come in and work with him at ALL times (so during Jag practices and games) on his mechanics. Blake has made it known that he feels the current coaching staff (and apparently they have a good size staff just for the QB and offense) has not done enough for his development.
Wow.
What a slap in the face to the coaching staff.
I see no way the jags don't clean house this offseason.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If Goff is comfortable with the play book, he's ready to start.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
im trying to work out if we agree or not ;)

but i feel like its time to see what Goff has ,.. let him take his lumps and see what happens

i mean i get fisher is pretty much in a position where a number of things happen and there's more bad than good

Sits Keenum and Goff lights it up and the rams go on to win the division and into the playoffs ? good

sits keenum.. goff lights up but we miss the playoffs ..Fisher will get asked why didn't he start Goff sooner ... not so good not but that bad if fisher plays the looks good for the future card

then theres a host of scenarios where its all bad or worse for fisher..from Goff looking totally abysmal and everyone will question the pick or Fishers inability to coach Goff up ...
I wasn't commenting on Fisher's ramifications on starting Goff and when, but rather your speculation on whether or not he is or ever was ready to actually back up Keenum.

And I thought it was an interesting point, because I doubt he was ready at first. Now, I'm speculating that they are actually comfortable with him as the true #2 in a backup role, which is what I think was meant when stating they were getting Goff ready with more reps in practice during the bye. He understands what they want him to do, so now it's just practice and execution.

I think he starts at some point this year and that was the plan all along. Next year is when they planned on tailoring the offense to his strengths some more.

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't think you go with Goff until it's obvious you won't make the playoffs.

Meantime it's so odd that Mannion isn't even given an opportunity. I wonder how he feels through all this. He's certainly shown he's capable.

He was QB2 week one...since then he hasn't suited up. Wonder what the staff is saying to him. He's out in the cold barring a QB injury.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Love the Rounders sound bite!!! Great Movie BY THE WAY

I think it has everything to do w/ attempting to min the chance of Goff falling into bad habits by delaying his career start time as long as possible. Coaches gotta have a sense on what will Goff do when things are not going smoothly during games. Does he have the brains to continue to use the so-called reprogram skills taught or the chance of falling into bad habit muscle memory.
He's 21 years old, one would think a good chance of the latter occurring has better odds.
I too want him to play, but I'm willing to wash this season out if it gives Goff the best future possible.
Besides I'm more worried about our run def to be honest!!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The media types love to trot out the comparisons, but the problem is we can never know the alternate reality. If Aaron Rodgers didn't sit for three years, would he still have ended up the Aaron Rodgers of today? No way to tell. No way to know exactly what he got out of sitting versus what he would have got out of playing. Every person is different. Everyone learns different. No way to know if Goff is getting more out of sitting than playing. Call me crazy, but those that don't know where the sun rises like Goff might not be the big book lernin' type. My hunch is that he'd learn way more by actually playing in one "unprepared not ready" game than one year of training on a virtual reality system or against scout D or watching film or having Weinke scribbling things on a surface pad during the game while Goff's checking out the cheerleaders. But Goff's saying all the right things about sitting out helping him, and obviously the coaching staff is seeing progress while he sits, so we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Doubtful. The Packers reworked his mechanics. If you're drafting a QB and he needs significant mechanical work, you sit him imo. If he doesn't, you play him as soon as he's mentally prepared.

Goff and Bortles are totally different.... And I like Bortles too...but man he was throwing the rock terrible the other day....He always threw like that? His receivers sure are helping him.... hahahahahaha

Goff needs to play...No other way around it...Unless Keenum can WIN more games than he LOSES....and he's showing he can't win very winnable games.

Nah. His mechanics have gotten worse. His first year, they were not good. He fixed it his second year. And then they've completely fallen apart this year.

And the Jaguars staff have more or less not cared. Which is why he's making a good call hiring a coach to work with him on his mechanics. I respect the move. It shows that he knows what's wrong and cares enough to fix it.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Jacksonville's coaching staff is atrocious. Bortles is a quality QB if he is put in the right situation and that's the thing. It is all about the situation. If Bortles is in Dallas, he is probably 6-1 like Prescott if not 7-0. I have seen more of Bortles than almost any other QB being from UCF and living in FL. He has everything you want and I would take him as our starter right now.

Goff on the other hand, I can't speak for. This coaching staff isn't any more equipped to develop Goff than Jacksonville's and is not as pro-ready as Bortles was. Everyone has talked him up like some sort of savior because of these magically throwing mechanics and footwork. In the preseason, the only thing that looked smooth like butter was the snaps slipping through his hands. Dude can't even find the field when Keenum is throwing out picks like candy on Halloween because the dude doesn't know what a pro-style offense is.

Yeah, I'd say it's a bit too early to count Goff as better than Bortles folks. Still waiting on the golden egg to hatch...

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Not only his mechanical flaws coming in from college but also getting pressured as much as bottles does will change a qb . If we are using him as a comparison then I'm completely fine with Goff sitting..our o line needs to improve and I can't imagine him starting week 1 and having to deal with all of the issues as a rookie.