Mizzou's Sam as a Ram? Fisher says no problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Yeah because if you don't approve you must be homophobic
I'd actually agree with you. "Homophobic" gets called way more than it actually should. I would limit it to those who would commit violence against homosexuals simply because of their orientation, or knobs like the Westboro "Baptist" "Church".

But if any team was dumb enough to say they wouldn't pick him because of it, do you honestly think it wouldn't be said?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'd actually agree with you. "Homophobic" gets called way more than it actually should. I would limit it to those who would commit violence against homosexuals simply because of their orientation, or knobs like the Westboro "Baptist" "Church".

But if any team was dumb enough to say they wouldn't pick him because of it, do you honestly think it wouldn't be said?

No way anyone would come out and say that, it would be setting him up for that big payday without ever seeing the field.
If I was going to label someone homophobic it would be people who are afraid they will catch being gay from them or someone legitimately afraid of gays, they are out there

Boffo97

Name
Dave
No way anyone would come out and say that, it would be setting him up for that big payday without ever seeing the field.
If I was going to label someone homophobic it would be people who are afraid they will catch being gay from them or someone legitimately afraid of gays, they are out there
In this culture, I have to disagree with you. The word is thrown around way too irresponsibly and for the media types, getting to say so means a huge payday because a lot of people would click on a news article saying "(Team) states they would not sign Sam due to his orientation." (ignoring factors like the adverse media attention.)

I don't have the link handy, but there was an article on Sports Illustrated's website where the author was daring fellow reporters to not publish "anonymous" sources saying they would not sign Sam because of his orientation, but "make them put their name on it or shut the hell up."

But we're veering off into politics now.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I just says no...

He waved the gay flag and the media is following. It puts our team under a microscope.

fearsomefour

Legend
Didn't realize Hayes' contract is up after this year. That said I don't think the Rams draft a DE period. I see him as more of a 3/4 outside backer. The only downside to his announcement is we all are going to be accused of being bigots (football fans, players, football as a whole) if he is not drafted in the first couple of rounds....which Im sure he won't be.
It is sort of humorous watching the sports "press" get to pretend to be real reporters.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I just says no...

He waved the gay flag and the media is following. It puts our team under a microscope.

It puts the entire game of football under the microscope. It was selfish and irresponsible to hold a press conference to announce you're gay. No one cares. Everyone already knew he was gay. He came out in August, or something, to his entire team. Fischer knew. NFL front offices knew. It's just a publicity stunt at this point.

And in my mind how do you draft a guy that has already put himself #1, ahead of the shield of the game. I mean, it's worse than what RGME does.

But I guess I can't call a spade a spade (a publicity whore a publicity whore) because that's homophobic.

So I'll put my head down, close my mouth and go back to watching people SHIT on the game I love.

Then again, maybe I'm just an a**hole and should go to sensitivity training. I really don't know.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It puts the entire game of football under the microscope. It was selfish and irresponsible to hold a press conference to announce you're gay. No one cares. Everyone already knew he was gay. He came out in August, or something, to his entire team. Fischer knew. NFL front offices knew. It's just a publicity stunt at this point.

And in my mind how do you draft a guy that has already put himself #1, ahead of the shield of the game. I mean, it's worse than what RGME does.

But I guess I can't call a spade a spade (a publicity whore a publicity whore) because that's homophobic.

So I'll put my head down, close my mouth and go back to watching people SHIT on the game I love.

Then again, maybe I'm just an a**hole and should go to sensitivity training. I really don't know.

No way, man, your absolutely right. If everyone already knew than he's being a complete media whore. Forget MS, he deserves to go undrafted. He's an unwarranted distractions we don't need. Let him go to a desperate team like JAK or CLE.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/13/michael-sam-film-study-nfl-draft/

Michael Sam: Studying the Game Tape
We’re learning about Michael Sam the man. But what about Michael Sam the player? We watched every snap he played in 12 games for Missouri last fall to get an unfiltered look at the 2014 draft prospect. Here's what we found -
By Greg A. Bedard

My conclusion.

Sam was a good player for one season in college. He was productive, so the accolades he received were earned. But being a good college player and becoming a good NFL player are two different things (see Tim Tebow). Sam did well for Missouri with a lot of talent around him. A majority of his production came in three games against inferior competition without a need to show much of a pass-rushing repertoire.

He doesn’t show much of what the NFL looks for on special teams, and it’s difficult to project a position for him on the next level. For those reasons, Sam would project to be no better than a mid- to late-round pick. He could go undrafted. To my eyes Sam is decidedly average, with nothing exceptional about his game—though he will be helped by the fact that this draft is not deep with pass rushers, and those are always needed.

But there’s a saying in the NFL: It only takes one team. One team that sees Sam’s ability better than I do, one team that believes that his courage in announcing he is gay before the NFL Scouting Combine is a trait that can help them.

On draft weekend, nothing is a surprise. And draft position doesn’t really matter all that much; many undrafted players go on to have long and successful NFL careers. They just need to land in the right situation, with the right coaches, to unlock their potential. It’s happened before, and famously with undersized defensive players like London Fletcher. I don’t see it, but it could happen with Sam.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler

We’re learning about Michael Sam the man. But what about Michael Sam the player? We watched every snap he played in 12 games for Missouri last fall to get an unfiltered look at the 2014 draft prospect. Here's what we found -
By Greg A. Bedard

My conclusion.

Sam was a good player for one season in college. He was productive, so the accolades he received were earned. But being a good college player and becoming a good NFL player are two different things (see Tim Tebow). Sam did well for Missouri with a lot of talent around him. A majority of his production came in three games against inferior competition without a need to show much of a pass-rushing
If the guy wanted to draw an objective conclusion why only watch 12 games? As far as the talent around him, their production could have benefited from his play in just the same way.
You don't win DPOY in the SEC by being average, the kid can ball. No way he goes undrafted

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I only posted his conclusion. The entire article is at the link. Here's one of his comments on why he watched only 12 games..."Several hours, 12 games and 922 Missouri defensive snaps later (I couldn’t get my hands on the Indiana and Kentucky games)."

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I only posted his conclusion. The entire article is at the link. Here's one of his comments on why he watched only 12 games..."Several hours, 12 games and 922 Missouri defensive snaps later (I couldn’t get my hands on the Indiana and Kentucky games)."
I get that, but he has played well in previous years. That should be accounted for as well.

I don't have a dog in the fight, just could care less about his off field life and since he announced it seems like his on field skills are being challenged.

EliteRam

I get that, but he has played well in previous years. That should be accounted for as well.

I don't have a dog in the fight, just could care less about his off field life and since he announced it seems like his on field skills are being challenged.
In his previous 3 years... 1 sack, 1.5 sacks, and 4.5 sacks. 7 sacks in 3 years is not that good at all for a DE.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

By Greg A. Bedard

My conclusion.

Sam was a good player for one season in college. He was productive, so the accolades he received were earned. But being a good college player and becoming a good NFL player are two different things (see Tim Tebow). Sam did well for Missouri with a lot of talent around him. A majority of his production came in three games against inferior competition without a need to show much of a pass-rushing repertoire.

He doesn’t show much of what the NFL looks for on special teams, and it’s difficult to project a position for him on the next level. For those reasons, Sam would project to be no better than a mid- to late-round pick. He could go undrafted. To my eyes Sam is decidedly average, with nothing exceptional about his game—though he will be helped by the fact that this draft is not deep with pass rushers, and those are always needed.

But there’s a saying in the NFL: It only takes one team. One team that sees Sam’s ability better than I do, one team that believes that his courage in announcing he is gay before the NFL Scouting Combine is a trait that can help them.

On draft weekend, nothing is a surprise. And draft position doesn’t really matter all that much; many undrafted players go on to have long and successful NFL careers. They just need to land in the right situation, with the right coaches, to unlock their potential. It’s happened before, and famously with undersized defensive players like London Fletcher. I don’t see it, but it could happen with Sam.

The NFL is going to get KILLED if Sam goes undrafted. I mean it'll be a headline story with every feminists and apologist-male screaming at the top of their collective lungs. It will be devastating for the NFL from a PR standpoint.

I guarantee you that the commissioner MAKES a team draft him, rather than allow him to go undrafted.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
As a side note to all this, I wonder if the Bradford haters are enjoying a chance to post "Sam is gay" without any kind of backlash.

The NFL is going to get KILLED if Sam goes undrafted. I mean it'll be a headline story with every feminists and apologist-male screaming at the top of their collective lungs. It will be devastating for the NFL from a PR standpoint.

I guarantee you that the commissioner MAKES a team draft him, rather than allow him to go undrafted.
I disagree. In fact, I'm all but certain he will go undrafted. There are too many players just as good or better than him that don't come with the distraction. Sure, people will scream, but that's going to happen anyway if Sam doesn't start, or reports any behavior that's not absolutely fawning respect, or a litany of other possibilities.

Every team out there would rather have the PC screaming at the whole league in general rather than their team in particular.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Every team out there would rather have the PC screaming at the whole league in general rather than their team in particular.

True that quote.

The problem as I can see it is that he won the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. So your average person, who doesn't understand why a slow, 6'2'' DE isn't a great fit in the NFL, is going to use that award as a basis for their hate.