Mixed results for Rams on Day 1 of free agency/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mixed results for Rams on Day 1 of free agency
By Jim Thomas St. Louis Post-Dispatch

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Back in October, cornerback Janoris Jenkins told the Post-Dispatch he was finished negotiating with the Rams and was going to bet on himself in free agency.

It turned out to be a good gamble. Even before the start of the free agency period, Jenkins had agreed to terms with the New York Giants on one of the richest contracts ever for a cornerback _ five years, $62.5 million, with $28.8 million guaranteed according to the Over The Cap web site (@Jason_OTC).

Known for his frequently-controversial tweets, Jenkins took offense to a reported $9 million-a-year offer by the Rams not long before the start of the free agency period _ calling it "total disrespect" on his Twitter account. Maybe Jenkins was right on this one too, because his Giants contract averages $12.5 million a year.

It had bee clear for months that Jenkins was going to the highest bidder, and that's what happened Wednesday. With the Giants, he'll play for defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who was fired as Rams head coach after the 2011 season _ or just months before Jeff Fisher selected Jenkins in the second round of the 2012 draft.

In New York, Jenkins will be reunited with the Rams' defensive coordinator of 2013 _ Tim Walton _ who is cornerbacks coach for the Giants. The Rams and Giants will meet in London next season.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, both Fisher and general manager Les Snead made it clear that re-signing their secondary was the top priority of the team in the upcoming free agency period. But before the formal start of the free agency period Wednesday afternoon, the Rams had lost half of their starting secondary in Jenkins and free safety Rodney McLeod.

McLeod signed a five-year, $35 million contract with Philadelphia including $13 million in guarantees according to Over the Cap. The Rams had known for some time that McLeod's asking price was high, too high than they probably were willing to go.

McLeod didn't play as well in 2015 as he did in '14, taking bad angles to the ball on several occasions, and missing too many tackles even as he became a more physical tackler. Nonetheless, he has come a long way since his special teams days as an undrafted rookie in 2012, developing into a solid free safety.

While the Rams have E.J. Gaines ready to step into Jenkins' starting position at cornerback, they don't have a ready answer at free safety. Eureka High's Maurice Alexander has the frame and playing style of a strong safety.

Cody Davis, who was not tendered as a restricted free agent, but was re-signed by theh Rams later Wednesday nonetheless, is a free safety who excelled on special teams last year but has next to no experience from scrimmage.

League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday night that the team had expressed some interest in Cincinnati free agent free safety Reggie Nelson, and Eric Weddle of San Diego is a free agent as well.

Following those early hits in the secondary, the Rams rallied as the day progressed, re-signing defensive end William Hayes (three years, $21 million) and linebacker/safety Mark Barron (five years, $45 million). They were must "gets" considering they were being counted on to replace recently released Chris Long and James Laurinaitis, respectively, in the starting lineup.

The Rams felt good about retaining Barron and Hayes all along. In the case of Hayes, he has a longstanding relationship and loyalty to Fisher. As for Barron, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams created a unique role for him as a hybrid linebacker-safety _ a role that became a full-time job four games into the season when weakside linebacker Alec Ogletree was lost for the year with an ankle injury.

Although some teams are starting to use safeties in a hybrid linebacker fashion, it's still a relatively new trend in the league, making for an uncertain market for a player with Barron's skill set

The Rams topped the day by re-signing center Tim Barnes to a two-year $5.5 million deal with $3.25 million guaranteed, and re-signing wide receiver Brian Quick to a one-year deal that could max out at $3.75 million with $1.5 million guaranteed, according to the NFL Network.

Just a year ago the Rams didn't even tender Barnes as a restricted free agent, instead signing him to a lesser amount. But the University of Missouri product earned a starting job in a three-way battle at center coming out of training camp, and after some tough moments early in the season played pretty well over the second half of the season.

The Rams also made one-year tender offers to quarterback Case Keenum and running back Benny Cunningham as restricted free agents. They tendered Keenum at the first-round level of $3.64 million, meaning the team gets a first-round draft pick as compensation if Keenum gets an outside offer and the Rams decide not to match.

Cunningham was tendered at the lowest level _ $1.67 million. Since Cunningham wasn't drafted, that means they get matching rights but no draft pick compensation if they choose not to match. Given the low tender, it wouldn't be shocking to see someone make a run at the versatile Cunningham.

The Rams didn't make tender offers to three other restricted free agents: linebacker Daren Bates, running back Chase Reynolds, and center/guard Brian Folkerts. Folkerts, a Hazelwood Central High grad, later re-signed with the Rams, according to the team.

Bates and Reynolds were among the Rams' top special teams players, Bates in fact was the Rams' special teams captain. The Rams want Reynolds back if they can get him for a lower figure; and that's probably the case with Bates as well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JT seems to have forgotten LaMarcus Joyner was a FS in college and is on the Rams roster.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PFF’S TOP 75 FREE AGENTS OF 2016
Matt Claassen reveals the top 75 players on the free agent market, selected by PFF's team of senior analysts.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/15/pro-pffs-top-75-free-agents-of-2016/

4. Eric Weddle, S
2015 team: San Diego Chargers

Weddle is still one of the better coverage safeties in the league, but did not have his best year in run defense. His 85.9 coverage grade ranked second among safeties in 2015.

16. Reggie Nelson, S
2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals

Best as a deep safety, Nelson has earned positive coverage grades each of the past five seasons, with last year’s +8.1 cumulative grade being the second-highest of his nine-year career.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
interested in Weddle and Nelson. intriguing names at FS. Little older than what we go for, but the Rams could use a vet presence instead of going through the blown coverage development we went through while Mcleod developed.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
JT seems to have forgotten LaMarcus Joyner was a FS in college and is on the Rams roster.

I don't think he has even played FS in practice in the NFL. Not saying he can't but moving him to FS stunts his development at nickel where he has improved and also just shifts the hole from FS to nickel. FS is probably the more important position but the rams play the majority of their snaps in sub.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They tendered Keenum at the first-round level of $3.64 million, meaning the team gets a first-round draft pick as compensation if Keenum gets an outside offer and the Rams decide not to match.
I like this ^!! Would this 1st round pick come in 2016!? that's My question!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
TJ will step into McLeod's role and play great. I'm telling you guys, Rams have a safety pipeline going. People thought we needed a safety prior to the 2014 season and overlooked McLeod. TJ knows this defense cold and has great coaching. And Mo played exceptionally well down the stretch and got a lot of playing time.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
TJ will step into McLeod's role and play great. I'm telling you guys, Rams have a safety pipeline going. People thought we needed a safety prior to the 2014 season and overlooked McLeod. TJ knows this defense cold and has great coaching. And Mo played exceptionally well down the stretch and got a lot of playing time.

Moving TJ to FS isn't playing to his strengths. He is better in the box where he is a terrific run defender and where he can use his size to match up with TEs. He is also not great in coverage so he could struggle in a single high role where our FS predominantly plays. Mo may be a good safety and was pretty good against the run when he started at SS, but he was far from exceptional in coverage. He wasn't great in coverage in playing primarily in the box and I don't see him getting any better playing in a single high role where his coverage skills will be tested more often.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Moving TJ to FS isn't playing to his strengths. He is better in the box where he is a terrific run defender and where he can use his size to match up with TEs. He is also not great in coverage so he could struggle in a single high role where our FS predominantly plays. Mo may be a good safety and was pretty good against the run when he started at SS, but he was far from exceptional in coverage. He wasn't great in coverage in playing primarily in the box and I don't see him getting any better playing in a single high role where his coverage skills will be tested more often.

I think you and most others are underestimating these guys. If Williams felt like you do about them there is no way the Rams would have allowed McLeod to walk. Queue up some of those games in the final third of the season. Mo made enormous strides and made some excellent plays in coverage. TJ has always been used near the LOS because he's big as F and hits like a tank. But he is more athletic than most realize IMO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cunningham was tendered at the lowest level _ $1.67 million. Since Cunningham wasn't drafted, that means they get matching rights but no draft pick compensation if they choose not to match. Given the low tender, it wouldn't be shocking to see someone make a run at the versatile Cunningham.
Nitpicking here...but see, instead of rewarding Brian Quick, I would have rather thrown Benny a bone and locked him up on a low end 2 or 3 year deal. He's a role player i get that, but he's proven himself, he's been durable, and now with Tre Mason's troubles...

Not a big deal and maybe Benny doesn't want a long term deal but still, Benny has earned an extension. Quick? Not really.

JMO

tempests

Hall of Fame

Agreed. I'd go further and say both McDonald and Alexander are below average in coverage.

Alexander in particular was just getting his feet wet on defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's an old saying in sales that a great salesman can sell you your own car and make you feel like you got a great deal.
That's the impression I get from this (and years past) FA.
Except I'm not buying.
We need WR help desperately and there were legit options. And the best we could come up with is the bust aka Brian Quick

Ram65

Legend
Nitpicking here...but see, instead of rewarding Brian Quick, I would have rather thrown Benny a bone and locked him up on a low end 2 or 3 year deal. He's a role player i get that, but he's proven himself, he's been durable, and now with Tre Mason's troubles...

Not a big deal and maybe Benny doesn't want a long term deal but still, Benny has earned an extension. Quick? Not really.

JMO

I don't think 1.5 Mil one year deal is a reward.

I really like Bennie! The Rams could be seeing what he is worth on the market and will match it. They could be talking a long term deal as we speak. I hope they get it done because I don't want to lose him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

JMO
I don't think 1.5 is much of a reward and with the ridiculous numbers the 2nd tier guys in FA were getting its a bargain. Benny probably declined to turn down an offer and wanted to see what he could get for an offer on the open market. He has had some problems putting the ball on the ground but seemed to be a little better in 2015 and was very good in KO returns so he probably thinks he has some leverage.

RamBill

Legend
Grading the Rams on Day 1 of free agency
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27539/grading-the-rams-on-day-one-of-free-agency

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- What would an NFL offseason activity be without some sort of instant grades and snap judgments?

Thankfully, that's what pros like ESPN's Bill Barnwell and Kevin Seifert are here for.

Barnwell actually took it a step further Wednesday as he offered real-time grades on every free-agent move as they happened. In Los Angeles Rams-related grades, Barnwell gave them a "C" for re-signing linebacker/safety Mark Barron and defensive end William Hayes, noting that Barron's deal is somewhat speculative based on the price relative to his overall production and that the Rams' money was probably better spent elsewhere than defensive end.

In other moves, Barnwell gave the Giants' move to sign cornerback Janoris Jenkins a C-plus, calling it risky based on Jenkins' history of gambling.

Seifert, meanwhile, took a more overarching approach with a look at the winners and losers of Day 1. Not many mentions of the Rams there with so many things going on but he did have an amusing take on what he called the "best preview of looming apocalypse" about the Rams' decision to extend a first-round qualifying offer to restricted free-agent quarterback Case Keenum.

As always, both pieces are well worth your time and a good way to get caught up to speed on the first day of free agency.

BadCompany

Rookie
So, one day into the "new" season, and we have lost Cook, Long, Laurinaitis, Jenkins, and McCleod, and added... no one?

I know it's early, and I know there were legitimate (though I suppose debatable) reasons for losing each and every one of those guys... but geez...

RamBill

Legend
Mason and Ireland discuss the Los Angeles Rams quarterback options, Case Keenum’s status, Tavon Austin’s role with the Rams, and why the team should look to draft a wide receiver.

Listen to Mason/Ireland Talk Rams

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hard to grade because it's going on the known information of how that player has performed with a unique team & scheme versus the unknown of new coaching & teammates. But of course I'll do it anyway because I'm just that kind of idiot! And sadly I'm pretty disappointed so far (the key being *so far*, lots still to happen I think).

* Hayes signing is a wash with the loss of C.Long. Gives a similar floor of performance with slightly better ceiling. A little less consistent. Will give up more in the typical run play, but has the ability to step it up in big situations with a crucial sack at a key moment. The money was stupid, and I think Hayes' injury history/age is going to bite the Rams here. I will not be shocked if he's in and out the whole season with nagging injuries while Westbrook/Longacre get most of the snaps -- like I said, pretty much a wash with Long, same difference in the end. I simply don't envision him unleashing some fountain of youth ability we haven't seen yet just because he's now a starter making the big bucks -- we know what we got, which is okay on the one hand of consistency but of course takes away the chance of finding something better.

* I like the Barron signing, the money is too high but that's a product of the circumstances right now with the cap going up and the free agent market going nuts, oh well. He's just such a mismatch for offenses to account for, it's changing the philosophy of defense. That said the Rams must build a better base around him, some true run-stuffing fat guy DLs that can plug in on 4th and 1, or else the defense is just too undersized. Barron is a two-outcome guy -- a home run or whiff -- and combined with Ogletree being similar it's going to be fascinating to see the defense fly around either making ridiculous stuffs or getting gashed for huge plays. Losing our only experienced free safety kind of makes this gamble a bit more risky, the defense lost both captains that were in charge of making sure people were in the right place.

* Barnes is the same commentary I had for Hayes except that he's replacing -- er, himself. We know what he is, not great but not horrible yet somehow both at times. Maybe he'll be a little better with another year but very small odds of him magically blossoming into an elite player. So the Rams traded the possibility of a greater ceiling for a known floor of "okay". His cap hit is less than Hekker so can't really complain about the contract too much.

* I have no problem losing McLeod if there's a plan to replace him. He would have been the same commentary as Barnes/Hayes but he had the best upside of the three so kind of sucks he's the one that walked. Since the Rams are gambling at LB, I say they go all in and get a home-run type FS too, a guy that maybe is raw but can make some big play turnovers happen. But I would understand if they go for a McLeod clone of limited play-making but that can maybe mitigate the big play risk and plug some holes when there's breakdowns.

* Losing JJ was a no-brainer. He had a great season but no way would I pay that kind of money.

* The Keenum comment by ESPN is funny, the offer was so lame, now the Rams have two QBs that I don't even want on the roster making way too much money. Wait, I agree with ESPN? That's probably the biggest sign of the apocalypse. But hey I still hate PFF and Bleacher Report so hell is safe from freezing over.