Mitigating damage on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think that's the name of the game, for the moment. It's a long season, players and schemes can grow.
One thing that's obvious is that if Long is matched up on a bigger WR, teams are just going to go after him, over and over and over.
So, for the time being, I think you have to get away from that.
One of the reasons that Ramsey is in the Star so much, in my opinion, is that it gives the defense a higher upside. More confusing matchups, more chances to create mistakes and turnovers. Putting him on the outside on a team's best WR is a good option, but it automatically helps the offense focus on where to go next. You think Rapp is an issue in coverage now? What happens when Ramsey is counted on to be on the outside, far away from the middle? Makes it that much easier to target him, imo.

That being said.. I think they need to make that adjustment, at least for this week and for a majority of the time. Hopefully Rochelle can grow up quickly, because he has the size needed for that spot.

The irony is that I think this morphs this defense into much more of a "bend don't break" unit than what they were trying to do.

We'll see.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Long is on his 3rd year by now he should handle the challenge. It appears to most he can't

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Putting him on the outside on a team's best WR is a good option, but it automatically helps the offense focus on where to go next.

Good point.

In some games you may or may not want that, matchup wise.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Putting Ramsey on the outside on their best receiver does more than helps them focus on where to go next. It limits their options as to where to go. That also means it is likely the next receiver will be doubled. Which limits them even more. So Putting Ramsey on the outside is never going to be a bad thing. Wasting him on a blitz that he doesn't get there on when some one else can do the same thing is a waste of his talent more often then not.

oldnotdead

Legend
The problem with the defense is the same as it was with the OL. Everyone blamed the players saying they weren't good enough. But now look at how good they are with the same guys. Why? Because they have Carberry coaching them.

This same defense was #1 last year. That wasn't an accident. It was a DC coaching to the strengths of his players. Now these same players look like clowns. CHANGE THE DAMN DC! It's clear as day. It's not the players its the coach. It's that simple.

This defense was built to play aggressively. Morris is playing it scared. Bend not break is a frightened DC's scheme. Save the damn season and change the damn DC! The cure is that simple. This is the same thing I said about Kromer and no one believed me. But Carberry coaching the same personnel are playing at an elite level. This is exactly the same problem with the defense. Morris is a clear downgrade from Staley so why can't the Ram's FO see that?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Putting Ramsey on the outside on their best receiver does more than helps them focus on where to go next. It limits their options as to where to go. That also means it is likely the next receiver will be doubled. Which limits them even more. So Putting Ramsey on the outside is never going to be a bad thing. Wasting him on a blitz that he doesn't get there on when some one else can do the same thing is a waste of his talent more often then not.
But it’s not “blitz or outside”… it’s isolated or deployed all over the field & the QB has to adjust, every play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The problem with the defense is the same as it was with the OL. Everyone blamed the players saying they weren't good enough. But now look at how good they are with the same guys. Why? Because they have Carberry coaching them.

This same defense was #1 last year. That wasn't an accident. It was a DC coaching to the strengths of his players. Now these same players look like clowns. CHANGE THE DAMN DC! It's clear as day. It's not the players its the coach. It's that simple.

This defense was built to play aggressively. Morris is playing it scared. Bend not break is a frightened DC's scheme. Save the damn season and change the damn DC! The cure is that simple. This is the same thing I said about Kromer and no one believed me. But Carberry coaching the same personnel are playing at an elite level. This is exactly the same problem with the defense. Morris is a clear downgrade from Staley so why can't the Ram's FO see that?
Well.. Morris may be conservative in some coverages but he blitzes more than Staley did.
So, it’s not as simple as “lack of aggression”.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
But it’s not “blitz or outside”… it’s isolated or deployed all over the field & the QB has to adjust, every play.
And how did that work out against the cards. For some teams I think you are doing them a favor.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And how did that work out against the cards. For some teams I think you are doing them a favor.
If David Long is matched up with a big WR? Absolutely, you’re doing them a favor. That’s why we all want to see Rochelle.