Mismatched stats suggest another pass rusher could take us to the next level on defense.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Sometimes, stats just don't seem to go together.

Here's an example...

The Rams are 7th in the NFL with a 76.7 passer rating allowed, and third in the NFL with a 56.9 completion percentage allowed.

They are also 28th in sacks per game (1.7) and 29th in sack percentage (4.67).

Clearly, the DBs have been doing a pretty good job, and you have to give a shout out to the defensive coaching staff as well. To maintain this level of effectiveness against the pass with what could only be described as an unproductive pass rush is noteworthy.

So, if the Rams are looking for one move that could make a huge difference in their playoff push, clearly that move would be the acquisition of a quality pass rusher.

The Rams are constrained by the cap, of course, and I don't think anyone here is looking to simply rent a player for the balance of this year, or to give up a future first round pick.

That said, if the Rams could make a move for a guy who could add some punch to the pass rush within their "budget," that could turn our pass defense from good to great.

Get to work, Les!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

geno smith
brock purdy
one leg joe burrow
anthony richardson
jalen hurts
josh dobbs

this list speaks for itself.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

geno smith
brock purdy
one leg joe burrow
anthony richardson
jalen hurts
josh dobbs

this list speaks for itself.

Every one of those QBs for the season as a whole has a higher passer rating than 76.7 and a higher completion percentage than 56.9. That means that the Rams, on average, have been more successful against this group than the rest of their opponents have been.

You can disagree with my point if you like, but simply listing the QBs and suggesting that the Rams have not faced a formidable group does not disprove anything I asserted.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every one of those QBs for the season as a whole has a higher passer rating than 76.7 and a higher completion percentage than 56.9. That means that the Rams, on average, have been more successful against this group than the rest of their opponents have been.

You can disagree with my point if you like, but simply listing the QBs and suggesting that the Rams have not faced a formidable group does not disprove anything I asserted.

i'm not disproving what you're saying. i'm just saying these qbs won't make a d pay like the better qbs.

purdy had the chance to put the rams d to the sword and he couldn't do it. burrow was a cripple. arich is a raw rookie. hurts did some torching but still not a great passer. and dobbs is what he is.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
If we get another quality pass rusher, I think we eliminate those long drives. They’ve been frustrating to watch and it needs to get fixed if we seriously want to make a run in the playoffs.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The other day, I was looking at 2024 free agent Edge players; and it's a solid list.

Here are some names and the players' age:
Brian Burns (Carolina / 25)
Josh Allen (Jacksonville / 26)
Chase Young (WSH / 25)
Rashan Gary (G.B. / 25)
Montez Sweat (WSH / 27)

A.J. Epenesa (Buffalo / 25)
Josh Uche (N.E. / 25)
Danielle Hunter (MN / 30)
Dorance Armstrong (Dallas / 26)

Marcus Davenport (MN / 27)
Yannick Ngakoue (Chicago / 29)
Za’Darius Smith (Cleveland / 31)
Carl Lawson (NY Jets / 28)
Charles Harris (Detroit / 29)
Yetur Gross-Matos (Carolina / 26)

Many of these guys may not be available. Some will be re-signed, and others will get the Franchise Tag. However, a few should come free. I grouped them based on talent and preference for the Rams (my opinion).

The top-5 will all get huge contracts; and a number of the others will also do very well. Lots of teams will have cap space; and every team wants/needs additional Edge-talent

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Does the passer rating allowed take into account penalties? Cause if they did, it would be considerably higher me thinks.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Does the passer rating allowed take into account penalties? Cause if they did, it would be considerably higher me thinks.
No, but that’s not really a big factor.

The Rams have had a total of 10 coverage penalties (PI, defensive holding, illegal contact). If you count all of those as completions, that would raise the competition % allowed to 58.9, which would still rank 3rd in the league.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We've seen a lot of rollout passes to the right that negate AD. Also half of those guys were more running back than quarter back.
I did however see the other team with all day to throw on several occasions.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Seems like some of the responses are intended to downplay the positive stats.

Bottom line is that, without the benefit of a consistent pass rush, the pass defense is doing a very good job.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I was happy to see the rams win against the cardinals. we should beat that team. It looked hard. It looked like maybe we turned a corner on offence figuring out how to make points in the second half. The defense was playing at a better level against them. we were close with san fran and close with the eagles but not quite there yet. We will probably go with what we got but it feels like we are an edge away to really go far this year. It was the cards after all so perspective is in order. we will see. go rams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
i'm not disproving what you're saying. i'm just saying these qbs won't make a d pay like the better qbs.

purdy had the chance to put the rams d to the sword and he couldn't do it. burrow was a cripple. arich is a raw rookie. hurts did some torching but still not a great passer. and dobbs is what he is.

Purdy has lit everyone up with all of his weapons.
Hurt has a 66% completion rate and 84 rating. So, the Rams pulled his numbers down.

I'm TREMENDOUSLY worried about the lack of pass rush.. but something decent has been happening on the back end.

dang

Legend
The Rams know the value of an elite Edge pash rusher. As a result I’m not sure they're content with settling for just any FA that would become available to them. If they continue to win I could see a trade for an elite Edge they’re targeting before the trade deadline. The impact of cap space lowers with each week of the season. If they don’t continue to win this will be a priority post season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes the secondary has consistently been carrying this defense. They're not a shutdown unit. But they play together, have good discipline on the call (rare to see blown coverages), and are tenacious. Never see their heads down. This makes them very easy to root for even if they still need some pieces back there.