Minnesota; the most aggressive trading partner at QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings will begin in earnest their next search for a franchise quarterback at the NFL scouting combine next week, with a first-time head coach, an offensive coordinator who has worked with everyone from Troy Aikman to Brandon Weeden, and a general manager who has so far been unable to find the former and has unearthed too many of the latter.

The Vikings will likely add a young quarterback to their roster this offseason, and they could bring in a veteran, too, either by re-signing Matt Cassel -- who opted out of his 2014 contract last week -- or by adding another free agent this spring. They will be aggressive at the position, general manager Rick Spielman said, but they also know they can't reach for a quarterback with the eighth overall pick just to take one at the top of the draft.

Not with the effects of what happened last time they took a quarterback in the first round still so fresh in their minds.

"You go out and do your due diligence and do everything you possibly can to make those decisions right," Spielman said at his pre-combine news conference on Friday. "We really felt, coming out of the playoffs (in 2012), and the way Christian (Ponder) was playing, because he played well toward the end of the season -- he started out strong, and went in that dip, and started to come, that, 'Hey, this is a second-year guy that's on the come,' and the inconsistencies, didn't carry over last year. That's going to make us look and re-evaluate that position. Like I said, it isn't because we're not here working our rear ends off, trying to get it right, but I think teams that don't have a franchise guy are always going to be doing that."

Ponder is under contract for 2014, and "will be here," Spielman said, but the Vikings certainly aren't proceeding with him at the forefront of their plans. He wouldn't rule out the possibility of new offensive coordinator Norv Turner being able to help Ponder put things together, but it's clear Ponder has burned through his time with the benefit of the doubt.

"Well, right now we’re looking at quarterbacks, so we would say we don’t have that position solidified," Spielman said.
"I know Christian does have the physical abilities to do it, but for whatever reason things haven’t come together for him. Sometimes you look at the history of [Alex] Smith, who was out in San Francisco. Sometimes maybe it clicks, maybe it doesn’t. Baltimore went through it a little bit with Kyle Boller, and then they went through it with Joe Flacco. I know we talk about Seattle, they went through their [struggles] and then they hit onRussell Wilson in the third round. You’ve just got to keep getting up there and trying to keep turning it over to try and find that right combination and that right quarterback for your franchise."

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/4906/ponder-will-be-here-but-vikings-want-qb

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Me; I think this is the team that sets the value of our 2nd overall.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Personally I would like them to swap some of them for 2015 picks. Take 1.8, 2.8 and 4th, this year and get 1st, 3rd, and 5th from 2015. That draws out the extra picking and it also allows for more veal time on guys like Quick, or veterans like both Longs.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
amen! It'd be nice.... if nothign else start a bidding war with a team like the Browns more and likely wanting and needing to get the QB of their choice.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
1.8 1,400
2.8 500
3.8 230
5.8 38
2015 1st 434

That's where my negotiations start from.

Would you also ask for a second rounder next year? Or maybe forego the 3 this year for a second and third next year?

I'd like to see some deferred action myself. LOL.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'd take their first and second this year and next year's first. That's a basic trade for any team to surpass if they want to move up to number two overall.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd take their first and second this year and next year's first. That's a basic trade for any team to surpass if they want to move up to number two overall.

Thats not enough for that slot though.

Be greedy.....LOL.....it's free!

Would you also ask for a second rounder next year? Or maybe forego the 3 this year for a second and third next year?

I'd like to see some deferred action myself. LOL.

Their second and third next year (using the Washington discount rate) is worth 226.3, their 3rd this year is worth 230, so it's essentially a 7th round pick in it, I'd probably take the future picks, but it depends what you want.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Demand their 8th pick, 2nd this year and swap our 3rd round pick for their 1st in 2015. I doubt the Vikings give up any insane picks to move up to #2....

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As certain as I am that I want a first next year out of a trade down,if I were Minnesota I'd look at the division, with three established franchise QBs I had to face and tell the Rams that the reason they had that high pick to trade is why I'm not giving more than this yr's first next yrs first and a second this yr. I'd expect I was giving a top ten pick next yr. and if the Rams were not OK with that I'd start talking to someone else,but I'd also do the deal right now without knowing what the Texans were doing.
There is a time value to this stuff and I'd take that deal and get on with setting my board figuring no Watkins,Clowney,Robinson ,Matthews and no QB and IF one of the QBs was there when Tampa was ready to pick ,I'd get them on the phone and offer a 7th to switch and take whichever of those 4 I just named was there with the promise it wasn't going to be a QB I was taking OR tell them to pick the guy I wanted and I'd trade them what I just named.

laramsoriginal

Starter
The value we receive should be this year not next year imo. Its time the rams plan for making a move to the top of the nfcw in 2014 not next year or the year after that. Rams need to fill holes now

tonyl711

Starter
The value we receive should be this year not next year imo. Its time the rams plan for making a move to the top of the nfcw in 2014 not next year or the year after that. Rams need to fill holes now
if we get their 1st and second, this year and their first next year, that leaves us 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 3 thirds and 2 fourths this year, that 4 players out of the first 45, 8 players out of the top 90, I think we can fill most of the holes with that, plus still have 2 first rounders next year.

laramsoriginal

Starter
if we get their 1st and second, this year and their first next year, that leaves us 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 3 thirds and 2 fourths this year, that 4 players out of the first 45, 8 players out of the top 90, I think we can fill most of the holes with that, plus still have 2 first rounders next year.

How about we use their first next year to trade back into the first round this year to select another premier player to help fill the holes for the 2014 season. Rams would have 3 first round picks plus one 2nd and 2 thirds...

My point is the rams need to make a move this season and not keep pushing things out.

Where do the 2 thirds and fourth come from?

tonyl711

Starter
How about we use their first next year to trade back into the first round this year to select another premier player to help fill the holes for the 2014 season. Rams would have 3 first round picks plus one 2nd and 2 thirds...

My point is the rams need to make a move this season and not keep pushing things out.
I think with 4 picks in the top 45 we are filling some major holes, and adding good depth in the third and fourth. I just like the leverage having 2 first round picks gives you every year.