Mind-blowing stat of Rams star Aaron Donald could help finish GOAT debates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Mind-blowing stat of Rams star Aaron Donald could help finish GOAT debates​

Is Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald the most dominant defensive player in the history of the game? Well, the numbers certainly back up his case.

Donald is a three-time Defensive Player of the Year who has also made the Pro Bowl in all of his nine seasons so far in the NFL. He is a model of consistency, and while he hasn't won DPOY since 2020, that doesn't really say everything about how phenomenal he has been throughout his career.

One Donald stat is currently going viral on Twitter, and it speaks volumes of how unstoppable the Rams DT has been since 2017 at least. Apparently, Donald has faced 1,797 double teams throughout that span–which is 152 more than anyone else on the list–but he still leads all defensive tackles in pass-rush win rate, via JPA Football.

View: https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1681854018769895424?s=20

If that doesn't put Aaron Donald in the GOAT conversation among all great defensive players, then it would be utter blasphemy.

Donald was a big reason why the Rams won Super Bowl LVI back in 2021. Overall in his career, Donald has recorded 18 passes defended, 24 forced fumbles and 490 combined tackles. He also has 237 QB hits and 167 tackles for lass, though the most impressive among those numbers is his 103.0 sacks.

The Rams star's dominance hasn't gone unnoticed, though. Just look at his latest Madden 2K24 rating. He's at 99 once again for the seventh straight year, breaking the record for the most consecutive years to have the highest rating possible in the video game. Peyton Manning previously held the record with six straight.

Hopefully, other fans and experts give him the same respect and appreciation.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
In the conversation?

There is no conversation to be had. Anyone who doesn’t recognise him as the greatest defensive player of all time is simply wrong.

We are so lucky to have had him in the horns.

oldnotdead

Legend
Donald's production is down under Morris because Raheem wants him to "read" first and penetrate second. Morris is bad for Donald's legacy.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Would be fun if they had a "closer" stat... I mean, have you ever seen a defensive player in the NFL just close out games on the regular?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Donald's production is down under Morris because Raheem wants him to "read" first and penetrate second. Morris is bad for Donald's legacy.

hair sigh GIF

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Would be fun if they had a "closer" stat... I mean, have you ever seen a defensive player in the NFL just close out games on the regular?

This. The single most amazing thing to me about our SB run is how AD closed both the NFCCG and the SB in the exact same way.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Some have referenced the SB and how dominant he was. Truthfully I felt at the time he should have been Co-MVP with Kupp. Both equally deserved it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What's crazy is he's had a great edge next to him only one time. And we won it all that year.

Out of all the IFs and moving parts of this crazy offseason edge remains that position where, if they hit big on one of these guys as a rusher, they are in business. Because nobody can deal with a top edge threat next to AD. It's unlikely they hit big though. But boy can I dream about it. Sure would like to see AD finish up his final years with a monster pairing on that side.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What's crazy is he's had a great edge next to him only one time. And we won it all that year.

Out of all the IFs and moving parts of this crazy offseason edge remains that position where, if they hit big on one of these guys as a rusher, they are in business. Because nobody can deal with a top edge threat next to AD. It's unlikely they hit big though. But boy can I dream about it. Sure would like to see AD finish up his final years with a monster pairing on that side.

I dunno. The comp for Byron Young is Von Miller… he’s explosive and violent off the edge it wouldn’t surprise me if the light turns on for him early and he becomes a DROY candidate.

I’m very high on “Lord Byron” as I shall call him

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Here's something else I find mind-blowing about AD. We are a franchise that had the Fearsome Foursome, including HOFers Merlin Olsen and Deacon Jones. We also had Jack Youngblood, another HOFer.

And yet, with all of that historical talent, AD is head and shoulders above those guys.

That was one draft pick I got at least partly right. I wanted the Rams to draft him, very much. I knew he'd be good. But damn ... I did not know he'd be this good ... holy shit.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald destroys NFL OL all over the league for years. Is unstoppable. Then his Kryptonite is hired as the Rams DC. Seriously…WTH…SMH

@oldnotdead is correct on this one!