Miklasz leaving Post-Dispatch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/othe...cle_b9671b8d-8f97-5a5a-8a0e-1734af3ab475.html
Longtime St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports columnist Bernie Miklasz has announced that he is leaving the newspaper after 26 years. His last column will appear on Aug. 9.

Miklasz, 56, joined the Post-Dispatch as an NFL writer in 1985. After the St. Louis football Cardinals moved to Arizona in 1988, he moved to Texas to cover the Cowboys for The Dallas Morning News. In July 1989, the Post-Dispatch hired Miklasz as a sports columnist, and he has since written thousands of columns on local teams and sports issues over the last quarter century.

“Growing up, all I ever wanted to do was become a sportswriter,” Miklasz said. “It was my dream, and the Post-Dispatch gave me the chance to follow that dream, and make it come true.

“Everything I have that is good in my life is in some way connected to the Post-Dispatch. And I’m eternally grateful to the newspaper for giving me the opportunity to make St. Louis my home, to build a rewarding career, and to work with so many talented and dedicated reporters and editors.

“And I’m thankful to the readers for their interest in my work. And for making this old Baltimore boy feel at home. The Post-Dispatch readers challenged me, made me think, and sharpened me. I may have angered them at times, but my simple goal was to express an honest opinion. It’s been an honor to write for them, through the good times and bad of St. Louis sports.

“Coming to the Post-Dispatch to write a sports column was the easiest decision I’ve ever made. And I have to say that leaving the Post-Dispatch after a wonderful 26-year run in my dream job is the most difficult decision I’ve ever made.”

Miklasz is joining 101 ESPN in St. Louis to host a three-hour, weekday radio talk show.

The Post-Dispatch will immediately begin a national search for a sports columnist to bring a strong voice to our sports pages.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well; that's a big blow to the Post Dispatch.

It sounds like he's staying in St. Louis?

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll miss him. He could be annoying at times but he was great with stats and he often had an unusual take on things which was a good thing in a world where you can read a write up of a game at ESPN, SI, NFL.com and the like and they would be identical. A unique voice is always a good thing IMO. He'll be staying in the Lou so who knows, we might be reading him again or find ourselves listening to a stream of his take on the Rams in a post here at the ROD.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well; that's a big blow to the Post Dispatch.

It sounds like he's staying in St. Louis?
I know he initially left 101 because he couldn't do both the writing and the radio show. Now it seems like he's probably wanting to slow things down in his life so he's leaving the writing business for a radio job that isn't nearly as stressful. Just a guess, though.

Alan

Legend
Now here's a guy that I'm more than happy to never hear from again:
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...-espn-air-comments-dominican-republic-players
Colin Cowherd no longer on ESPN air after comments about
Dominicans

Radio host Colin Cowherd no longer will appear on ESPN following comments he made questioning the intelligence of Dominican Republic players related to baseball one day earlier, the company said in a statement Friday.

"Colin Cowherd's comments over the past two days do not reflect the values of ESPN or our employees," ESPN said in a statement. "Colin will no longer appear on ESPN."

Cowherd issued an apology later Friday via Twitter.

Colin Cowherd: I did not intend to offend anyone w my comments. I realize my choice of words was poor and not reflective of who I am. I am sorry.

Cowherd had said Thursday that he didn't believe baseball was complex, saying a third of the sport was from the Dominican Republic, which had "not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities.''

Major League Baseball on Friday said Cowherd owes Dominican players an apology for the remarks, and the MLB Players Association also condemned his comments.

Earlier Friday, Cowherd addressed his remarks from Thursday during The Herd.

"I could've made the point without using one country, and there's all sorts of smart people from the Dominican Republic," Cowherd said. "I could've said a third of baseball's talent is being furnished from countries with economic hardships, therefore educational hurdles. For the record, I used the Dominican Republic because they've furnished baseball with so many great players."

Cowherd on Friday also cited reports and statistics to back up what he said about the country's ranking when it comes to primary education.

"I understand that when you mention a specific country, they get offended," Cowherd said. "I get it. I do. And for that, I feel bad. I do. But I have four reports in front of me ... where there are discussions of major deficiencies in the education sector at all levels. ... It wasn't a shot at them. It was data. Five, seven years ago I talked about the same subject. Was I clunky? Perhaps. Did people not like my tone? I get it. Sometimes my tone stinks.

"I think when you host a radio show, just like Jon Stewart hosts a show, I think sometimes I bring up stuff ... that makes people cringe. I'm not saying there's not intelligent, educated people from the Dominican Republic. I cringe at the data, too."

Major League Baseball issued its statement after Cowherd's show aired Friday.

"Major League Baseball condemns the remarks made by Colin Cowherd, which were inappropriate, offensive and completely inconsistent with the values of our game," it said. "Mr. Cowherd owes our players of Dominican origin, and Dominican people generally, an apology."

Tony Clark, executive director of the MLBPA, also issued a statement in which he took issue with Cowherd's response Friday to his original comments.

"As a veteran of 15 MLB seasons, I can assure you that our sport is infinitely more complex than some in the media would have you believe," Clark said. "To suggest otherwise is ignorant, and to make an ignorant point by denigrating the intelligence of our Dominican members was not 'clunky' -- it was offensive.

"These recent comments are particularly disappointing when viewed against the backdrop of the important work being done to celebrate and improve the cultural diversity of our game. Baseball's partners and stakeholders should help such efforts, not undermine them."

There were 83 Dominican players on Opening Day rosters this year, representing about 10 percent of all players in the majors.

The flap stems from Cowherd's comments on Thursday, which were made while debating whether it was difficult for a front-office executive to take over managerial duties -- using current Miami Marlins general manager/manager Dan Jennings as an example.

"It's baseball," Cowherd said Thursday. "You don't think a general manager can manage? Like it's impossible? The game is too complex? I've never bought into that, 'Baseball's just too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world-class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.

"Baseball is like any sport. It's mostly instincts. A sports writer who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and have a real baseball argument, and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There's not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole 'thinking-man's game.' Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It's not being a concert pianist. It's in the same family."

Cowherd's comments drew the attention of Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista, a native of the Dominican Republic who asked Cowherd via Twitter for further clarification concerning his remarks on Thursday.

Jose Bautista: Dear Mr. @ESPN_Colin before i rip you a new one i would like for you to explain what u meant to say about baseball and dominicans, please

Cowherd, who had been with ESPN for 12 years, announced earlier this week that he's leaving the company for another business opportunity.

And yeah, his words WERE reflective of who he is.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I probably should just keep my mouth shut since I really don't have anything positive to say but here goes anyway. Can't say I'll miss him as I haven't visited the PD since joining here. For awhile I read his columns that were posted here but got tired of the negativity.

Have to disagree that Bernie was great with stats. Bernie routinely and selectively dredged up stats to support his opinion, whatever it may have been at any given moment.

IMO, all of the writers at the PD took the easy way when confronted with a Rams FO that likes to play their cards close to the vest, which they handled in a very personal manner instead of as professionals. Wouldn't miss any of them if they left. Don't miss their website and won't listen to any of their interviews, radio shows, etc.

I realize their job is to attract readers/listeners but I find most of their output disappointing and not worth the time it takes to read or listen to it.

Greg Stone

Rookie
The key to Bernie was the sheer quantity of content he provided. The writing was good in that context. I was not a fan of his frequent use of straw men and the way he baited readers to increase clicks but I have to admit that these traits work on radio. Bernie would agree that he has the face and physique of a radio star. Good luck, Bernie.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I liked Cowherd even though I didn't agree with him a lot. What ever happen to allowing opinions? I guess ESPNever is on the PC path like everyone else. I hate this bear scat!

Greg Stone

Rookie
On Cowherd I don't see the problem. He talked about quality of academic training, not intelligence. It seems the ESPN is reacting to a reaction rather than the actual content.

edit- It must also be said that it was a stupid thing to say. The "academic" training in baseball is at a very high level in the Dominican Republic and players from there are at no disadvantage in understanding the nuances of baseball.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On Cowherd I don't see the problem. He talked about quality of academic training, not intelligence. It seems the ESPN is reacting to a reaction rather than the actual content.

edit- It must also be said that it was a stupid thing to say. The "academic" training in baseball is at a very high level in the Dominican Republic and players from there are at no disadvantage in understanding the nuances of baseball.
I agree. If anything, what he said was in support of Dominicans. He didnt say they lacked intelligence, he just said they lacked proper education.
Good grief.

Alan

Legend
Oldgeek with this:
I liked Cowherd even though I didn't agree with him a lot. What ever happen to allowing opinions? I guess ESPNever is on the PC path like everyone else. I hate this bear scat!
""It's baseball," Cowherd said Thursday. "You don't think a general manager can manage? Like it's impossible? The game is too complex? I've never bought into that, 'Baseball's just too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world-class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have."
Really @Oldgeek ? Are you saying that isn't racist?

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-25_9-21-27.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_9-21-27.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 156

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The only thing about Bernie is, who steps up to cover the Rams? Sure Bernie had the ability to put everyone in a tizzy around here with his takes from time to time, but it seems the only other alternatives taking time to write about the team are Joe Random at the Bleacher Report/TST or Wagoner, whose takes have become less and less original and more a regurgitation of the same shit the football media at large trots out.

And the Cowherd thing. ESPN was beholden to the MLB on that one. They were catching a lot of heat publicly from Dominican players and rumored to be getting bullied by the MLBPA as well. ESPN has already lost a lot of ground to FOX in terms of baseball rights (World Series, All Star game) and didn't want a slip up to cost them even more moving ahead.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cowherd was already on his way out supposedly - I'd heard he was already signed to Fox Sports. All ESPN is doing is hastening the process by a few weeks.

In terms of Bernie leaving the PD - smart move. Newspapers are slowly dying, but talk radio isn't. He's likely getting more money, and it's a more secure gig.

Alan

Legend
For those who are saying that he just talked about them not having an education I'll do my best to explain the context.
This has nothing to do with a lack of education and everything to do with his perception of their whole race having lass intelligence than his race.

What does a lack of education have to do with "The game is too complex" ?
What does a lack of education have to do with "Baseball's just too complex" ?

Those two comments have nothing to do with a lack of education and everything to do with a lack of intelligence.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I think he's citing lack of academic abilities, educational opportunities and the fact that the league is 1/3 Dominican in support of his assertion that he doesn't buy that baseball is too complex.

Either way it does sound racist to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My best to Mr. Miklasz had opportunities to converse with Bernie a few times when I was in St. Louis and it was cordial and I enjoyed the interaction.

Problem today is everyone takes things far too personal similar to the Cowherd situation although anytime you focus on a certain culture or particular race you're better off playing it close to the vest.

Anyway what I find ironic is people want individuals with an edge everyone will say they love the person that says what's on their mind and does not care until like Cowherd an organization gets pressure and they crucify them with that edge.

Cowherd should have said Third World Counties instead of the Dominican Republic or third world counties like the Dominican Republic, but the Mother Ship sank him in a nanosecond and thus is the world we live in now.

Back to Bernie I wish him the very best I never take things too person where I wish irreparable harm on anyone just because they don't agree with me. Now I will annotate why I feel otherwise, but I never make it personal, call people names and things of that nature I would like to believe I'm above reproach and know where to draw the line, but I do believe it would behoove the PD to hire someone who could focus on the actually game of football and not the drama surrounding it, but usually the latter sells more and that in itself is unfortunate.

Last edited: