Mike Zimmer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Mike Zimmer has been fired. Like so many others he wasn't the greatest HC but there is no denying he's a good DC. He plays a very aggressive scheme. His base is actually a nickel. He uses a 4 man front 2 LBs and a SCB as his nickel. He prioritizes stopping the run.

The Rams have the players. What they lack is a DC who knows how to use them aggressively. IMO the Rams should cut Morris loose and hire Zimmer or Pleasant. If Morris continues to play his passive scheme the Rams won't get far in the playoffs.

C'mon Snead, if McVay lacks the balls to fire his friend you need to step up and do it.

At the beginning of the Niners game, Morris opened up with an absolutely smothering defense both run and pass. Then after that, he simply loosened up and never returned to that opening style. What a fucking whimp of a DC. People may not like Zimmer but his defenses have been good. With the personnel the Rams have Zimmer could return this defense to its elite level.

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I can't see Zimmer wanting to play second fiddle to a coach as young as McVay. Zimmer's personality also does not seem to mesh with the sort of culture this locker room has. He is a capable defensive mind. There is no doubting that. Although the Vikings have had plenty of so-so defensive performances over the past two years that would rival even our own flops, which does give me pause. I am in the camp that wants Morris gone. I'd take Zimmer over Morris. But many others before Zimmer.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Considering he let JG March up the field with no timeouts and one of the worst supporting cast in football for the W....I'll pass
Now vic fangio...I'm all in

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm all for any DC that has the balls to continue doing what is working even after getting a lead. Morris gave away the game yesterday with his decision to stop doing what is working well and go to a more passive approach.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he retired and spent the rest of his days banging his young model girlfriend. I definitely can’t see him taking a DC position anywhere right now.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he retired and spent the rest of his days banging his young model girlfriend. I definitely can’t see him taking a DC position anywhere right now.
1641865584523.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hate Zimmer but the dude is a good DC. I would think him and McVay would be downright nasty as a combo.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Nothing I have seen from the Vikings d the last few years has made me envious. Meh.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nothing I have seen from the Vikings d the last few years has made me envious. Meh.
He's been a head coach. Lot of these guys bounce back very well from head coach failureville when things are back to just running the defense. He will make a big impact for someone.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I hate to say it but if the choice is Fangio vs anyone else, I think I'd rather give Morris another year.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Staley is a Fangio disciple so yes his defense will work really well in LA. That said the weakness of the Fangio system is defending the run. This is why Staley's defense couldn't stop the Niner's rushing attack. Fangio and Staley ask their front 7 to play the run second to defending the pass. The front 4 play the run on their way to the QB.

The Niners have emerged as the primary competition for the Rams within the division. Zimmer takes a different approach philosophically. He prioritizes the run on early downs to get the offense behind the chains. Then he plays the pass. That kind of emphasis change is what is going to be needed to beat the Niners consistently. He also does a lot to confuse the QB as to what he's facing.

This is why I like Fangio, but the Rams need to scheme to stop strong running teams like the Niners. IMO they would get that more with Zimmer than Fangio.

He probably would be open to the Ram's DC job as it will open doors for him to return as a HC if he wants. But he's 65 right now so finishing his career as a DC might appeal to him. There is no question that the Rams roster would be enticing.