Mike Williams traded to Buffalo Bills from Buccaneers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mike Williams quit the Syracuse football team under Doug Marrone midway through the 2009 season. Five years later, Marrone is giving him another chance.

Evans to Bucs at No. 7?
0ap2000000339424.jpg
The Bucs need to fill a void at wideout after trading away Mike Williams, and a perfect replacement should be sitting there at the No. 7 pick in the draft. More ...
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports the Buffalo Billshave acquired Williams from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick, according to a source informed of the transaction. ESPN's James Walker first had the news. Both teams later officially announced the trade in separate releases.

The surprising move looks like a win-win for both sides. TheBuccaneers' new staff clearly was not enamored with Williams on and off the field. Williams was arrested on charges of trespassing and criminal mischief in December.

He reportedly racked up big fines for missing meetings last season. He was able to play in just six games in 2013 because of a hamstring injury suffered after Williams signed a huge six-year, $40.5 million contract last July.

The Buccaneers would have incurred a huge salary-cap hit if they cut Williams. By trading Williams, they cleanly get out of a bad deal.

It's a reasonable gamble for the Bills, too. Buffalo only owes Williams $1.8 million in 2014 pay, and that includes a hefty workout bonus. That pay jumps all the way to $6.8 million in 2015, so Williams will have to perform well to stay on the team.

Marrone obviously knows Williams and is comfortable giving him a chance. If the marriage doesn't work out, the Bills can release him after the season without much trouble.

The move gives Buffalo an intriguing wide receiver group with Williams, Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, T.J. Grahamand Marquise Goodwin. Almost all of them can go deep.

The Buccaneers, meanwhile, look rather thin at the position. They are strong candidates to draft a wideout with the No. 7 overall pick, with Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans the most likely candidates.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...liams-traded-to-buffalo-bills-from-buccaneers

duckhunter

Starter
Both could very easily take Evans.

If we take Clowney at 2, Buffalo would be a trade up option for us from 13 plus our 3rd to select Matthews would he fall that far.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Both could very easily take Evans.

If we take Clowney at 2, Buffalo would be a trade up option for us from 13 plus our 3rd to select Matthews would he fall that far.

Clowney and Matthews! Now we're talkin. If Jakes not there, Lewan will be. Do we still pull the trigger?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Tampa Bay @#7 desires the best wide out they will have to get in front of Oakland @#5. They already have a tall big wide out in Vincent Jackson but Evans could fit in well too. TB is a little short on draft picks. If I was Lovie I sure would want Sammy Watkins!

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Tampa Bay @#7 desires the best wide out they will have to get in front of Oakland @#5. They already have a tall big wide out in Vincent Jackson but Evans could fit in well too. TB is a little short on draft picks. If I was Lovie I sure would want Sammy Watkins!

Then Oakland will need to move to two to stay in front. Cha Ching.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The Bucs didn't need to cut Williams, his brother took care of that for them.

Please direct all thrown tomatoes to my agent.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like it. The more needy teams around us in the top half of the 1st round the better.

duckhunter

Starter
Clowney and Matthews! Now we're talkin. If Jakes not there, Lewan will be. Do we still pull the trigger?

Matthews is the only guy I would trade up for from 13.

I wouldn't move up for Lewan. I think Lewan can be coached up. Most of his shortcomings are correctable. But it's their decision based on the off the field stuff. They will know but I don't. And if they pass we'll never know the reasons because they just don't talk bad about players too often.

Particularly if guys like Dennard or Gilbert are on the board. Might also find a team willing to come up and give a 1 and 2/3 which can translate to Verrett or Ha Ha later in the mid 20s plus a safety like Ward or Reynolds with the 2/3.

Won't know till it happens.