Mike Wallace

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Per Howard Balzer...

"As for Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free-agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, who was tendered with a first-round pick as compensation, the Rams are prohibited from making an offer because they don’t have their own first-round in the draft, or a pick that is higher."

http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer ... Receivers/

Wow, I didn't realize that until I saw this story today.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, that rule is in there to prevent teams from doing what we thought was a smart idea, trading down, getting extra picks, then using that lower pick as compensation for Wallace. Oh well, at least we were thinking. :idk?:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Ramhusker said:
Yeah, that rule is in there to prevent teams from doing what we thought was a smart idea, trading down, getting extra picks, then using that lower pick as compensation for Wallace. Oh well, at least we were thinking. :idk?:

If our front office didn't know this rule existed until now... then we are in trouble. And if they admit the same then I will be absolutely shocked.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So I guess trading w/ Cleveland wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Can't they still trade a future 1st round pick if they want?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
So I guess trading w/ Cleveland wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Can't they still trade a future 1st round pick if they want?
Trade is one thing. Trades are always possible. But how much would Pitt require in trade, if they even wanted to trade?

1st round compensation for the loss of a RFA, which does not require Pittsburgh's approval, must be from the signing team's original position or higher. I don't doubt Snead and Fisher knew about this rule, long before they considered dealing the #2 pick.

Just a question, but how many teams actually sign RFAs before the Draft? What is the window of RFA signing? By signing after, wouldn't the signing team be handing over next year's pick?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Broncos and Whiners are threats too sign him. Not sure Snead and/or Fisher would do it for our 1st next year. Best case is work out deal after draft or after rd1 for our 33rd pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
MontanaRamFan said:
Ramhusker said:

If our front office didn't know this rule existed until now... then we are in trouble. And if they admit the same then I will be absolutely shocked.

Did anyone actually hear that our front office was considering trying to get him for the first round tender? I haven't. I'm guessing what is a lot of fan clamoring for Wallace has turned into the Rams are interested in giving up their #1 for the guy. I'm not saying they aren't interested in Wallace. I just haven't seen where they have expressed a serious interest in pursuing the guy. If they are considering trading for him, I'm going to guess that they know the rules and also know that they would likely have to get Pittsburgh to restructure his deal so they could make a real offer and not one that gets him here for one season.

steferfootball

Starter
We'd have to give up 6 overall, then sign him to a FA wide receiver-esk deal. That is a hefty price to pay...specifically if we can't block to let him get open deep.

Wonderboy

Rookie
MontanaRamFan said:
Ramhusker said:

MontanaRamFan, Best. Signature. Ever. PERIOD. Wow, that made my day. Thanks.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
New twist to this one. Word is Mendenhall may miss this whole season. What if Richardson is there at #6? Pittsburgh then may be interested in dealing Wallace for that pick. Would you do that deal?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ramhusker said:
New twist to this one. Word is Mendenhall may miss this whole season. What if Richardson is there at #6? Pittsburgh then may be interested in dealing Wallace for that pick. Would you do that deal?

Pittsburgh isn't one to trade up.

steferfootball

Starter
#6 overall and a huge contract is a pretty penny to pay. Wallace is a good player - specifically as a deep threat, but with our OL, what good is that?

Just playin devil's advocate. Don't mind me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
steferfootball said:
#6 overall and a huge contract is a pretty penny to pay. Wallace is a good player - specifically as a deep threat, but with our OL, what good is that?

Pretty sure Fisher/Snead think the same thing. They probably believe they can find a similar talent in the 4th round or something. Right now they're flying pretty high with confidence. I just hope it maintains and they beat the ever loving shit out of the draft this April.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
steferfootball said:

Pretty sure Fisher/Snead think the same thing. They probably believe they can find a similar talent in the 4th round or something. Right now they're flying pretty high with confidence. I just hope it maintains and they beat the ever loving shyte out of the draft this April.
Oh sorry, I omitted a key fact. Our offensive line's secret weapon is Alex Barron. Dominance we shall have.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe Fisher will just run the ball this season :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ruh Roh.... He's BAAAAAAAAACK...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ams-interested-in-mike-wallace-trade/related/

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill...ut-will-steelers-listen/#.T4cMaWB7eCI.twitter

Interesting quote: "What the Steelers have to decide is whether having Wallace for this year is worth losing a possible third or fourth-round draft choice another team is willing to part with in a trade.

If it is, then they will keep him.

If it isn’t, they will trade him."

So much for giving up a first rounder for him. Just still not sure he is worth Fitz money.

Name
Guido
I don't get all of this interest in Wallace. The man is dead. how could he contribute?

images

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
AsylumGuido said:
I don't get all of this interest in Wallace. The man is dead. how could he contribute?

images

As I said in another thread... you know he can do a full 60 minutes.... er.... well he used to.