Mike Thomas explains jersey number significance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thomas drops more balls than he catches and he's had that habit since high school. I don't expect that to change.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Thomas drops more balls than he catches and he's had that habit since high school. I don't expect that to change.

They may never fully go away, but he can improve on them. Some players see their dreams coming to an end and it ignites something inside them. Hopefully that's Thomas. I feel like he got open on a majority of his snaps, and that's huge for a rookie in the NFL.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There is hope. Some things can't be coached up. Just pointing out that Thomas' drops are nothing new. running precise routes and getting open really doesn't matter if you are not dependable at catching the ball. In the NFL, all it takes are one or two drops in critical situations to exclude yourself as a "go to" guy. Thomas' drops and mishandling of kickoffs has him on the bubble of making the 53 man roster. He has to catch the ball in TC and pre season. 4 or 5 dropped catchable balls and he could be gone.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Four to five drops in training camp and preseason and he's gone?

That seems a tad harsh.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Four to five drops in training camp and preseason and he's gone?

That seems a tad harsh.

Maybe, but the competition will be stiff. If I recall correctly, reports last year through rookie camp, mini-camp, TC and the first preseason game were that Spruce dropped one ball.
MT will be in camp with at least two guys who hold their schools' all-time receptions records (Woods, Spruce). Guys like that don't get "dropsies."

If Thomas drops 5 against that kind of competition, he might be Not For Long. WRs need to catch the ball or GTFO.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is hope. Some things can't be coached up. Just pointing out that Thomas' drops are nothing new. running precise routes and getting open really doesn't matter if you are not dependable at catching the ball. In the NFL, all it takes are one or two drops in critical situations to exclude yourself as a "go to" guy. Thomas' drops and mishandling of kickoffs has him on the bubble of making the 53 man roster. He has to catch the ball in TC and pre season. 4 or 5 dropped catchable balls and he could be gone.

That's not really true. If you're good enough at getting open, you'll stick around. Ted Ginn has stuck around for years because he's amongst the best in the game at getting vertical. That man has two left hands. Brandon Marshall, Wes Welker, Terrell Owens, etc. were routinely among the worst in the league when it came to dropped passes.

Team will accept 10 to 15 drops per year if you can give them 75+ catches, 1000+ yards, and 8+ TDs. Can Thomas do that? We'll find out. Can Thomas overcome the drops? We'll find out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm pulling hard for this guy. (man that sounds bad). There's something about this guy that gets me going. (even worse). What coach doesn't like a player that can get open deep?

bnw

Pro Bowler
I can, especially when it's a rookie WR.

i think some of the trouble with this offense in the recent past is mistaking expectation for improvement. With a WR you have to catch the ball. It should be as natural as breathing. If you can't then all the time spent running routes and coaching directed towards you is wasted. Rams can't afford projects.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This guy glides when he runs. Just the way he moves reminds me of Ike. He's a very smooth athlete IMO. If he's been working on his craft hard I fully expect him to grab some attention in camp. His releases on ST would get my eyes wide. He wins very quickly off the line and he's not small at 6'1 200.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i think some of the trouble with this offense in the recent past is mistaking expectation for improvement. With a WR you have to catch the ball. It should be as natural as breathing. If you can't then all the time spent running routes and coaching directed towards you is wasted. Rams can't afford projects.

I think the trouble with this offense was not having a staff in place that could help the players progress enough. Rookie WRs will drop passes. You've got a guy who is mentally overwhelmed. If your mind isn't 100% focused on catching the football, it will lead to mistakes. So when you're thinking about the depth of your route, the leverage of the CB, where the safety is lurking, how to make your break, when the ball is going to get there, etc., it's understandable that you might make a mistake.

It's why rookie WRs dropping passes is quite common. Even A.J. Green dropped a buttload of passes as a rookie, as did Amari Cooper.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I can, especially when it's a rookie WR.
Plus the guys still practice squad eligible.
He'll get a fair shake but the best receivers should definitely be on the field.
This ain't a beauty contest.

I have a good feeling about him though.