Mike Sando Chat (Rams Q & A Only)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jeff Fisher (Ram OTA's)
If you had Austin on your team would yo give him carries out of the backfield? He had 62 his senior yr

Mike Sando (1:09 PM)
Yeah, I'd give him some carries, enough to keep alive the threat and make other teams account for that element. The Rams will get some direct gains through the yards Austin makes, plus any indirect gains available through improved matchups elsewhere on the field. I would not want to give Austin lots of carries, for obvious reasons relating to his size. But I would want to run him on select plays, and keep defenses guessing.

David (Maryland)
Does James Laurinaitis get enough credit around the league for being a rock in the middle?

Mike Sando (1:18 PM)
He is overshadowed a bit by better inside linebackers in his own division.

Caleb (CT)
Which under-the-radar new addition to the NFC West will improve their team the most this season? Greater team success will help him as well.

Mike Sando (1:19 PM)
I wonder if it might be Rashard Mendenhall. The Cardinals were a mess at running back last season. Mendenhall has real talent. This season is a big opportunity for him. I'm not betting on it. I'm not going out there writing blog items about how Mendenhall will be the under-the-radar new addition improving his team the most. But since you asked, yeah, I could see him qualifying. You figure he's going to get the ball a ton. And while other additions such as Carson Palmer, Anquan Boldin, Percy Harvin and Tavon Austin rightfully command our attention, Mendenhall is in position to do good things, too.

Joey (California)
WIll Richardson be able to hold off Pead as the lead back in STL? You'd think Rams would want Pead to be primary back with that 2nd round investment

Mike Sando (1:20 PM)
Pead seems like a change-of-pace runner more than an early-down runner. I would not be surprised if Zac Stacy were the lead back. But it is hard to say because he's a rookie and we have not seen him yet.

Isaac (Chicago)
If this year's draft class for the Rams contributes as much as last year's, does Les Snead start getting recognized as one of the better GMs in the league?

Mike Sando (1:26 PM)
That really depends upon the team's record at the end of the season. That will influence perceptions about progress.

Eddie Roche (Holliston)
Alot of people are always quick to point to Jeff Fisher's "average" record as a HC with the Titans. More often than not, these people fail to realize that he was often hamstrung by a notoriously cheap owner. As a result of that, he was forced to rebuild that team afew times over. Now that he is seemingly paired with an owner in Stan Kroenke that doesn't have a death grip around his wallet, is Fisher primed for a strong run?

Mike Sando (1:33 PM)
At the very least, people should admit that Jeff Fisher seems to be insurance against horrible seasons. A bad year for him is usually going to be 7-9. I also think Fisher hasn't always had a stable presence at quarterback. Sam Bradford is someone I think he can win with. What I saw from Fisher last season was impressive, especially within the division.

Tom (Denver)
It looks like the Rams are positioning themselves to be more of a sling the ball around, speed based team next year. This is not the type the approach you'd expect from a Jeff Fischer coached team. How do you think a speedy pass reliant team stacks up against the bigger physical defenses in the NFC West? More likely they'll run past/around the big defenses, or get pushed and bullied 6 games a year? Thanks1

Mike Sando (1:44 PM)
Smart teams play to their strengths. The Rams want to get the most from Sam Bradford. Building this type of faster-paced offense could help them do that. I think we still need to see how things play out. However, Tavon Austin and Jared Cook were the two skill players St. Louis spent the most on this offseason, and both are fast, relatively finesse-type athletes by NFL standards. The offensive line has some nasty guys on it, though. I don't see the Rams being a soft team on offense with Jake Long, Scott Wells and Harvey Dahl out there. Remember, too, that the Rams are still building. They are a work in progress. They will add more pieces next offseason. In the meantime, they look like a speed-oriented team on both sides of the ball. They have get-up-the-field pass-rushers too.

Jean-Luc Picard (USS Enterprise)
Alot of NFC West-ites are quick to point to Tavon Austin's lack of size as a determent to him succeeding in the NFL. I personally think his speed and elusiveness will make up for his small stature. I also think he is going to be able to take advantage of favorable matchups against NFC West nickelbacks, none of whom have the speed on paper to take him on. Another fact that should be considered is that he has 0 injury history going all the way back to his high school days.

Mike Sando (1:47 PM)
They are not going to play him at guard. They'll play to his strengths. Austin also said he's going to be smart. No need to be a hero out there. Get your yards and get down if necessary.

andrew (stl)
rams d is on the rise can they have the best d in the divison next year or am i just dreaming thanks

Mike Sando (1:51 PM)
Yes, they could. Some would depend upon whether the 49ers' defense fell off some while transitioning (potentially) away from Justin Smith (depending on how long he plays). Safety is a position where I have some Rams-related question marks, also.

Ryan (Montreal)
How much longer do you think Dahl and Wells have left in the tank? Seems like with them being up there in age and Saffold possibly gone after the season, the Rams O-Line might need a major overhaul.

Mike Sando (1:55 PM)
The line is a position the Rams must target next offseason. I think they'll get at least one new starter next offseason and possibly more if Rodger Saffold does leave.

chris (pleasant grove ca)
Chris Givens is not getting the respect he earned on the field last year. The rams felt comfortable enough to not resing there two starting wide outs with Givens progress and need to fill the slot position. Hense the drafting of Austin. I think Givens will lead the team in yards and TD your thoughts?

Mike Sando (1:59 PM)
Good point. Tavon Austin will get a ton of attention, but Chris Givens might be more likely to lead the team in receiving yardage. He was the primary reason the Rams ranked respectably in long pass plays last season.

Casey (Tor)
Do you Lance Kendricks being involved much in the passing game or will most of his play time come from being a blocking FB?

Mike Sando (1:59 PM)
Yeah, I see him playing more of the h-back type role with Jared Cook as more of the route-running downfield tight end.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/48110/nfl-blogger-mike-sando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... mike-sando</a>