Mike Munchak in LA consulting for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I don't disagree. But his OL did win a Super Bowl. So that year's line showed a lot of growth in the season. They really came a long way in stunts for example, as they were shit at it early in the season. But yes he had to go, there were plenty of reasons for that firing.

Looking at the OL I think one truth is that it's held McVay back more than any other unit. Also it's been dependent on player additions from outside the organization. Imagine if he had not signed Whit as a FA for example. McVay might be looked at a lot differently right now, with maybe no Super Bowl appearances and losses in the playoffs. Because we don't seem to be very good at evaluating these guys from college on into the draft. And we don't seem to be very good at evaluating them at times even on the roster when they keep trotting guys out there who haven't been able to consistently produce like Demby, Boom (early on was very ugly even though he has improved), Evans, etc.

What's funny is look how McVay is with his WRs. That's his little project group. That feels to me at least where a large amount of his focus is, that and QB. He is not patient with any of those guys and in fact has gone through both parts of the roster with a battle axe when he feels they're not good enough. But for some reason with OL he hasn't held the same standards and it's honestly his fault that unit has given him those problems.

But on the flipside the top OL coaches are worth their weight in gold. I like that McVay at least tried to steal a guy who was under a great coach in New England. But up until the point where you know you found that gem you gotta keep digging.

Lastly I'd like to see the Rams overhaul their entire organization's evaluation of OL. This might be what McVay is doing now idk. Because we have to start with good drafting of these guys for the pipeline if we want to operate that way. It's a big problem that we seem to be incapable of drafting those positions well.
True on the overhaul of the OL thing. But we havent exactly had a ton of premium picks due to the philosophy of getting the Ramsey's and Staffords of the world and shipping off top picks. Except for that one time we had the pick and chose to go midget WR. But I digress before I burst into flames in rage.

And yes I get the "can find a good Olinemen in rounds3-5" and all. But if there is one critique of Mcvay that I think is fair, it's that he needs to prioritize the Oline a little more.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
True on the overhaul of the OL thing. But we havent exactly had a ton of premium picks due to the philosophy of getting the Ramsey's and Staffords of the world and shipping off top picks. Except for that one time we had the pick and chose to go midget WR. But I digress before I burst into flames in rage.

And yes I get the "can find a good Olinemen in rounds3-5" and all. But if there is one critique of Mcvay that I think is fair, it's that he needs to prioritize the Oline a little more.
3rd round picks are pretty typical for OL, outside of maybe LT. And they have spent a lot of 3rd & 4th rounders on OL. Unfortunately they kind of missed on Edwards (5th) since he didn't get a 2nd deal and was inconsistent. Then of course Evans was just bad, while Noteboom & Allen can't stay healthy. Now they drafted Avila in the 2nd.

And they dealt a 5th for Corbett, which worked out, they just failed to keep him. Wasted money on Wagner & Robinson instead of keeping a guy like Corbett.

So it would be fair to be critical of that move. Assuming a late 3rd would walk in and start at OG on day one, especially a guy who played RT in college.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree. But his OL did win a Super Bowl. So that year's line showed a lot of growth in the season. They really came a long way in stunts for example, as they were shit at it early in the season. But yes he had to go, there were plenty of reasons for that firing.

Looking at the OL I think one truth is that it's held McVay back more than any other unit. Also it's been dependent on player additions from outside the organization. Imagine if he had not signed Whit as a FA for example. McVay might be looked at a lot differently right now, with maybe no Super Bowl appearances and losses in the playoffs. Because we don't seem to be very good at evaluating these guys from college on into the draft. And we don't seem to be very good at evaluating them at times even on the roster when they keep trotting guys out there who haven't been able to consistently produce like Demby, Boom (early on was very ugly even though he has improved), Evans, etc.

What's funny is look how McVay is with his WRs. That's his little project group. That feels to me at least where a large amount of his focus is, that and QB. He is not patient with any of those guys and in fact has gone through both parts of the roster with a battle axe when he feels they're not good enough. But for some reason with OL he hasn't held the same standards and it's honestly his fault that unit has given him those problems.

But on the flipside the top OL coaches are worth their weight in gold. I like that McVay at least tried to steal a guy who was under a great coach in New England. But up until the point where you know you found that gem you gotta keep digging.

Lastly I'd like to see the Rams overhaul their entire organization's evaluation of OL. This might be what McVay is doing now idk. Because we have to start with good drafting of these guys for the pipeline if we want to operate that way. It's a big problem that we seem to be incapable of drafting those positions well.
Steve Avila was a great pick, I think.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thank You @OldSchool this is welcomed news. Always respected Mike Munchak they way he played and an excellent OL Coach too. I actually thought he might have been hired by McVay as the OL Coach, but maybe Munchak just wanted to take a laid back approach.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
One of the bad philosophies to me is picking college tackles and trying to convert them to guards. I was happy to see movement away from that with Avila this year.

With all the street guys they dealt with last year they were constantly teach new guys the scheme I din’t think they had much time to di technique adjustments.

Getting Bruss to play guard was another bad idea along the we can make them fit model. Same with Edwards. Now at least they have a few guys who can play inside even if they are shuffling because of injuries throughout the year.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I don't think it is coincidence that on both of the Rams super bowl championship teams have had premier LT's. In fact Whit will probably join Pace in the hall of fame. Most Championship teams have/need at least one elite OL (if not more). Maybe Avilla can be one, but right now the Rams do not have any top tier linemen. I like Jackson at LT better than Boom but Jackson will probably never be an elite Lt. I know many may disagree but Havenstien when healthy is the closest thing the Rams have to an elite lineman for now.

Note: it was interesting to get Whitworth's perspective on some of the the OL during the preseason broadcast. He had pretty good things to say about Noteboom and Jackson but i just do not see it with Boom.

I agree with those who think LT and edge should probably be where the Rams focus at the top of their draft board next year. Right now edge actually seems like the bigger need but if an elite LT is there and he is rated higher than the edge guy the Rams should take one. Jackson has the potentail to be a pretty good Lt but I think he would flourish inside at RG.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
One of the bad philosophies to me is picking college tackles and trying to convert them to guards. I was happy to see movement away from that with Avila this year.

With all the street guys they dealt with last year they were constantly teach new guys the scheme I din’t think they had much time to di technique adjustments.

Getting Bruss to play guard was another bad idea along the we can make them fit model. Same with Edwards. Now at least they have a few guys who can play inside even if they are shuffling because of injuries throughout the year.
I think that goes to the pass first mentality of McVay. OTs are generally better pass blockers and I think that is what he stressed. Getting a pure roadgrading G is a welcome change

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Well, it's obvious that McVay is not overlooking the OL like he may have in the past. It seems to be his #1 focus.

Afterall, he knows he will only have Stafford for as long as the OL can protect him.
Yes that's correct if Stafford gets injured due to bad OL play we are sunk. Bennett is not the current answer maybe down the line but not this year for sure.

Glad to see the team take the OL more serious.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes that's correct if Stafford gets injured due to bad OL play we are sunk. Bennett is not the current answer maybe down the line but not this year for sure.

Glad to see the team take the OL more serious.
Yep, If it's all about 24' then their #1 goal is to get Stafford through this season relatively unscathed.

That then sets up 24' for FA spending, trades, and at least one more run for a title... maybe two. No Stafford and that all goes up in smoke or you trade for a retread or a sign a vet FA. I don't see a Stafford level guy being available in a trade next yr.