Mike Munchak in LA consulting for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, it's obvious that McVay is not overlooking the OL like he may have in the past. It seems to be his #1 focus.

Afterall, he knows he will only have Stafford for as long as the OL can protect him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I hope this in No Way undermines Ryan Wendell, who has 21 fewer years experience.
I think his experience can only help Wendel.

Hell , if Jim Hanifan was still alive, I’d welcome him in as well.

The GSOT doesn’t exist, without guys like Pace and the Donut bros and Hanifan coaching them up.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think his experience can only help Wendel.

Hell , if Jim Hanifan was still alive, I’d welcome him in as well.

The GSOT doesn’t exist, without guys like Pace and the Donut bros and Hanifan coaching them up.

I got the distinct impression that Kevin Carberry wasn't that great of a line coach and when you top that off with a historic (most injuries on an oline since they were recorded) amount of injuries last year, there wasn't a lot of teaching going on with these guys.

This team needs every minute they can get of tutelage on the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Jourdan even said that Carberry would have been let go last year had they had the time to find someone new but the Superbowl made it impossible to do with the short offseason window.

Coaches can't be with the guys every minute so consultants coming in, veteran players giving tips, and old pros like Whitworth are welcome.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everywhere Munchak goes the OL improves and when he leaves they regress. Just look at Bolles in Denver as a prime example. With Munchak he's a top notch LT without he's a bust.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This can only help. Munchak was a legendary O-lineman and an amazing O-lineman coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I got the distinct impression that Kevin Carberry wasn't that great of a line coach and when you top that off with a historic (most injuries on an oline since they were recorded) amount of injuries last year, there wasn't a lot of teaching going on with these guys.
I don't disagree. But his OL did win a Super Bowl. So that year's line showed a lot of growth in the season. They really came a long way in stunts for example, as they were shit at it early in the season. But yes he had to go, there were plenty of reasons for that firing.

Looking at the OL I think one truth is that it's held McVay back more than any other unit. Also it's been dependent on player additions from outside the organization. Imagine if he had not signed Whit as a FA for example. McVay might be looked at a lot differently right now, with maybe no Super Bowl appearances and losses in the playoffs. Because we don't seem to be very good at evaluating these guys from college on into the draft. And we don't seem to be very good at evaluating them at times even on the roster when they keep trotting guys out there who haven't been able to consistently produce like Demby, Boom (early on was very ugly even though he has improved), Evans, etc.

What's funny is look how McVay is with his WRs. That's his little project group. That feels to me at least where a large amount of his focus is, that and QB. He is not patient with any of those guys and in fact has gone through both parts of the roster with a battle axe when he feels they're not good enough. But for some reason with OL he hasn't held the same standards and it's honestly his fault that unit has given him those problems.

But on the flipside the top OL coaches are worth their weight in gold. I like that McVay at least tried to steal a guy who was under a great coach in New England. But up until the point where you know you found that gem you gotta keep digging.

Lastly I'd like to see the Rams overhaul their entire organization's evaluation of OL. This might be what McVay is doing now idk. Because we have to start with good drafting of these guys for the pipeline if we want to operate that way. It's a big problem that we seem to be incapable of drafting those positions well.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree. But his OL did win a Super Bowl. So that year's line showed a lot of growth in the season. They really came a long way in stunts for example, as they were shit at it early in the season. But yes he had to go, there were plenty of reasons for that firing.

Looking at the OL I think one truth is that it's held McVay back more than any other unit. Also it's been dependent on player additions from outside the organization. Imagine if he had not signed Whit as a FA for example. McVay might be looked at a lot differently right now, with maybe no Super Bowl appearances and losses in the playoffs. Because we don't seem to be very good at evaluating these guys from college on into the draft. And we don't seem to be very good at evaluating them at times even on the roster when they keep trotting guys out there who haven't been able to consistently produce like Demby, Boom (early on was very ugly even though he has improved), Evans, etc.

What's funny is look how McVay is with his WRs. That's his little project group. That feels to me at least where a large amount of his focus is, that and QB. He is not patient with any of those guys and in fact has gone through both parts of the roster with a battle axe when he feels they're not good enough. But for some reason with OL he hasn't held the same standards and it's honestly his fault that unit has given him those problems.

But on the flipside the top OL coaches are worth their weight in gold. I like that McVay at least tried to steal a guy who was under a great coach in New England. But up until the point where you know you found that gem you gotta keep digging.

Lastly I'd like to see the Rams overhaul their entire organization's evaluation of OL. This might be what McVay is doing now idk. Because we have to start with good drafting of these guys for the pipeline if we want to operate that way. It's a big problem that we seem to be incapable of drafting those positions well.
I need more trophies for this post.^

WestCoastRam

Legend

It does seem like part of the team building model was to spend late round picks on the oline and coach them up. However, you typically need to find your LT in the 1st or maybe 2nd round and we haven't had a lot of those picks.

We did start to plan for Whit's retirement a couple years ago with the Boom pick but Whit was a beast and just kept going. Sadly, Boom hasn't been healthy enough to put it all together.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It does seem like part of the team building model was to spend late round picks on the oline and coach them up. However, you typically need to find your LT in the 1st or maybe 2nd round and we haven't had a lot of those picks.

We did start to plan for Whit's retirement a couple years ago with the Boom pick but Whit was a beast and just kept going. Sadly, Boom hasn't been healthy enough to put it all together.
Yeah and this is why I think if there's a LT they like in this draft when they're up he'll be the pick. They'd have to be crazy to not use it on either that or edge if the value is there. But I think LT is likely barring Jackson being unreal this season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah and this is why I think if there's a LT they like in this draft when they're up he'll be the pick. They'd have to be crazy to not use it on either that or edge if the value is there. But I think LT is likely barring Jackson being unreal this season.

Agree, I can easily see our #1 Draft pick being a LT and an EDGE coming from free agency now that we'll finally have some 2024 CAP dollars to burn.

WestCoastRam

Legend
But but... what if we can get Marvin Harrison Jr.