Mike Mayock’s 2016 Pre-Combine Conference Call

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tuesday afternoon, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock held his first conference call with the media ahead of the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine and during it he talked extensively about several players in addition to the needs of various teams in the draft. As you can imagine, the session was quite lengthy but definitely well worth a listen.

Listen to Mayock Talk Draft

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Stuff that I think may pertain to Rams.

Draft is a defensive draft. DT and Corner is loaded.

Jaylen Smith would be in conversation for No1 overall. With a clean knee (no nerve damage) still could go 15 and sit a year. Could be top 3 LB in league. Could they resist a guy that is this instinctive?

Does Nkemdiche go top pick? Seriously doubtful. Trouble he was in will definitely push him back considerably. If he dropped to 15....would they?

This draft is so deep at DT that there will be some in round 3 that would be first rounders in most other drafts. If the Rams want one this would be the draft to take one.

WRs in this draft are not nearly as athletic as in recent years. WRs have to fit specifically what teams do.

Not many pure TEs in the drafts anymore. Hunter Henry can do both block and catch and is late first mid second. Next would be Austin Hooper is a Zach Ertz route runner. Likes Adams from S Carolina as under the radar, willing blocker good catcher. Also likes Vannett proven blocker and better receiver than people know.

Thinks Tyler Boyd is a 2nd or 3rd round pick

If Wentz and Goff are gone top 5 are there any other guys worth taking in round 1. Lynch? Year or two away from playing. Names San Fran, Philly and Rams. Says if you think he Lynch can be a franchise guy then you have to take him. Didn't say if he thinks he could be or not. Said he reminds of Flacco.

Cousins didn't have a QB guru at his pro day. He ran his own pro day. Took total control. Made him stand out. Plus had time to develop and right coach. Hogan is most ready pro QB because of Standfords scheme in later rounds.

Again WRs, Treadwell and Coleman are best. Treadwell compares to Jeffery. Coleman is more explosive. Doctson, Thomas, Fuller in second round.

Complicated situation with Cook. He is one of four QBs that has physical talent to be a first rounder. Didn't like completion percentage but said that MSU throws the ball down field a lot so scheme could hurt his %. Why didn't he get named captain, then he didn't go to Senior Bowl.

Eagles have to be looking at Future Qb at 13, so if Lynch is there take him.

Man that was long.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Todd McShay, Mel Kiper Jr. and Chris Sprow discuss the keys to evaluating each position at the Draft Combine, what to look for at the Combine, and they examine picks 21 through 24 in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Listen to Combine Discussion

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFL Network Analyst Mike Mayock Weighs in on NFL Draft QB Prospects with Rich Eisen. Mayock has Wentz as his #1 QB in the draft. He says Wentz is as good or better athlete as Andrew Luck. He compares Paxton Lynch to Joe Flacco. He says there are a lot of questions surrounding Connor Cook.

Listen to Mayock Talk QB's

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I agree that Wentz is a better athlete than Luck.

I like my 85% Big Ben, 15% Cam comparison. He's the ONLY QB I'd trade up for because he can play this year AND he's a scheme fit. Goff's not a scheme fit, Lynch's not going to play this year and I don't think Hogan, Hackenberg, Prescott or Cook are better than Mannion. Each has reasons for misgivings.

IF... IF Cleveland decides to go Goff... and the Chargers don't trade out which I don't think they do in what I'm thinking... then Wentz would be there when the Cowboys are on the clock at 4 and they'd be looking to trade out in the worst way because they desperately need picks in this defense heavy draft. They're going to stock up on front 7 like we stocked up on OL last year, but they need more picks.

I'm going to post a trade scenario in a bit before I forget, but Cleveland getting Goff is about the ONLY way this happens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think Hogan, Hackenberg, Prescott or Cook are better than Mannion

I honestly don't know what they have in Mannion. I loved the guy's junior tape, but his regression his senior year with poor protections and a lesser cast to throw to were very worrying. I did love the way he shouldered the blame and handled the adversity, but the real concern with him is his lack of mobility. Fish loves mobility in his QBs, particularly in this division with these defenses. Mannion kind of sticks out in that way, the dude is a tree in the pocket.

All those prospects you noted above have far better mobility than Mannion. The least athletic of them all is probably Cook, but he is very respectable when he wants to move. And you know IF you have to go with a young QB that is 3 on your depth chart due to injuries him having some mobility is a nice thing, particularly if you need to dumb down the offense.

The real concern for me is that Mannion didn't get into the game late in the season in place of Keenum. That they elected to go with Foles means they don't have a lot of confidence in him, so my assumption is there's no way they're going to enter the season counting on Mannion. Let him compete? Sure. Plan around him? No way.