Mike Maylock's revised Top 100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000161676/article/2013-nfl-draft-mike-mayocks-top-100-prospects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... -prospects</a>

NFL Draft 2013: Mike Mayock Top 100 puts Eric Fisher No. 1
By Louis Bien

Mike Mayock released his updated Top 100 with less than one week to go until the start of the 2013 NFL Draft. Eric Fisher takes over the top spot on the board ahead of Luke Joeckel. Agree?

NFL.com's Mike Mayock released his updated Top 100 less than a week before the start of the 2013 NFL Draft. He hinted at a few shakeups Thursday during a two-hour conference call, and several more became apparent Friday, including a new name at the top of the list: Central Michigan left tackle Eric Fisher.

Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel has long been considered by many to be the top prospect in this year's class, and is the projected pick at No. 1 overall by the Kansas City Chiefs in SB Nation's latest mock draft. He falls to No. 3 overall on Mayock's big board, however. During the conference call, Mayock said that he like Fisher's upside better than Joeckel, and that he wasn't sure that Fisher had any more downside. Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson, who Mayock had nothing but effusive praised for during his conference call, comes in at No. 6 overall.

There are several other notable takeaways. Mayock followed through by putting cornerback D.J. Hayden (No. 14) ahead of Dee Milliner (No. 16), who is considered by many to be the top corner in the draft. Mayock also has Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei at No. 11. Lotulelei comes in at No. 2 on SB Nation's Top 200 big board.

A pretty large gap separated the top two receivers on Mayock's board. He ranked West Virginia's Tavon Austin as the best of the group, putting him at No. 12 overall. The next receiver on his board was Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson, whom he slotted in at No. 30. Justin Hunter was ranked No. 32 and Keenan Allen came in at No. 37.

Getting back to the tackles, Kyle Long made a big jump up the board, coming in at No. 29. Mayock does have him listed as a guard, and there is some debate about what Long's idea position in the NFL would be.

Geno Smith is Mayock's top quarterback prospect. He put the West Virginia signal caller at No. 22 on his list. The next quarterback is Florida State's E.J. Manuel, ranked No. 41. Matt Barkley comes in at No. 43.

Mayock and SB Nation are also at odds over Alabama running back Eddie Lacy. After a poor private workout, Lacy fell to No. 44 overall on SB Nation's big board, but remains relatively high on Mayock's board at No. 18 overall. Both have Lacy as the top overall running back.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The way this board plays, we should probably trade both our #1's
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
train

Thats the difference between player rankings and how teams will draft based on need.

Some guys will go earlier because of need. A run on a position effects decision making too.

But; I am all for trading down and accumulating as many picks in the first two rounds possible this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
nighttrain said:
train

I have been convinced of that for well over two months as you know. Things as they look for now just do not look to be in the Rams favor IMO. Most of all the prospects that this and other forums have been centering in on just do nothing for this Ram fan. Looks to me that we could be in a good not great position to snatch a failing top 15 prospect there @ #16, but would hope that a team behind us would want to jump with crumbs of enticement. If Geno Smith is there @ #16 we may get some small nibbles.

My hope that one of the top three DT's would fall to us @ #16 & the 9ers would have some serious desires to jump with some of their hoard of picks. Still could be an interesting Thursday evening yet. The 9ers have needs @ DT, NT & safety but if Jarvis Jones is there they could see stars with lining up a Sheldon Smith & Jarvis Jones on the outside with their two all pro inside Lb'ers in the middle ....making them the best set of four LB'ers in the NFL!

So for me its to watch to see which of these top prospects fall. The rise of ORT Fluker & Kyle Long are surprising to me.Just goes to show me the value of OL'ers in this 2013 NFL. The protection of Sam Bradford is by far the most critical need of this team to become a winner. Rams when compared to the winning teams in our division have not invested in the OL as they have through the draft. If this continues I see very little hope of overtaking them anytime soon. I have to give credit to those two wining western division teams (9ers & Seahawks) & smart OL investments through the draft.

It appears to me that Mike's top 100 is about as good as there is IMO. Mike has the WR ranks just about right I still think Tavon Austin is ranked too high but the overall rest are second round value to me. I see the Rams top new playmaker UFA Cook more as a receiver category & see the four wide outs as being Quick & Givens outside and with Pettis & Cook roaming the middle myself along with Kendricks so I do not see as most the high need to reach for a WR. Better to let them fall into the Rams later like Givens did.

In conclusion our current OL is full of medical patients, rehabbers, IR'ers (Long- Wells- Dahl- Saffold & Watkins) & a bunch of waver line pick ups (Smith- Barksdale- Washington-Barnes & Nsekhe) hoping for Boudreau to try to extract some working value from them, all assigned to protect the Rams most important investment Sam Bradford.

bluesjoc

Long time poster,First time reader
Name
Jeff
BonifayRam said:
nighttrain said:
train

I have been convinced of that for well over two months as you know. Things as they look for now just do not look to be in the Rams favor IMO. Most of all the prospects that this and other forums have been centering in on just do nothing for this Ram fan. Looks to me that we could be in a good not great position to snatch a failing top 15 prospect there @ #16, but would hope that a team behind us would want to jump with crumbs of enticement. If Geno Smith is there @ #16 we may get some small nibbles.

My hope that one of the top three DT's would fall to us @ #16 & the 9ers would have some serious desires to jump with some of their hoard of picks. Still could be an interesting Thursday evening yet. The 9ers have needs @ DT, NT & safety but if Jarvis Jones is there they could see stars with lining up a Sheldon Smith & Jarvis Jones on the outside with their two all pro inside Lb'ers in the middle ....making them the best set of four LB'ers in the NFL!

So for me its to watch to see which of these top prospects fall. The rise of ORT Fluker & Kyle Long are surprising to me.Just goes to show me the value of OL'ers in this 2013 NFL. The protection of Sam Bradford is by far the most critical need of this team to become a winner. Rams when compared to the winning teams in our division have not invested in the OL as they have through the draft. If this continues I see very little hope of overtaking them anytime soon. I have to give credit to those two wining western division teams (9ers & Seahawks) & smart OL investments through the draft.

It appears to me that Mike's top 100 is about as good as there is IMO. Mike has the WR ranks just about right I still think Tavon Austin is ranked too high but the overall rest are second round value to me. I see the Rams top new playmaker UFA Cook more as a receiver category & see the four wide outs as being Quick & Givens outside and with Pettis & Cook roaming the middle myself along with Kendricks so I do not see as most the high need to reach for a WR. Better to let them fall into the Rams later like Givens did.

In conclusion our current OL is full of medical patients, rehabbers, IR'ers (Long- Wells- Dahl- Saffold & Watkins) & a bunch of waver line pick ups (Smith- Barksdale- Washington-Barnes & Nsekhe) hoping for Boudreau to try to extract some working value from them, all assigned to protect the Rams most important investment Sam Bradford.
:good1:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
train

Thats the difference between player rankings and how teams will draft based on need.

Some guys will go earlier because of need. A run on a position effects decision making too.

But; I am all for trading down and accumulating as many picks in the first two rounds possible this year.

Ehh somewhat. You also have to keep in mind that player rankings drastically differ depending on the team. Teams rate players based on how they fit into their schemes.

It's why I've always seen big boards as a waste of time. Unless you're rating guys for a very particular scheme, your big board is going to lack direction and accuracy. I mean, how do you compare a press man CB and a zone CB? Is a zone team really going to care that the press man CB is the overall more effective player when you consider both man and zone coverage? No. They're going to want the guy who best fits their scheme.

It's why I don't bother. I know how I rate guys in my head. I know who I want the most and I know who I don't want. I know who I think fits in our scheme and who I don't really think fits. But if you asked me to make you my big board, I'd just politely say no.

jap

Legend
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
train

Ehh somewhat. You also have to keep in mind that player rankings drastically differ depending on the team. Teams rate players based on how they fit into their schemes.

It's why I've always seen big boards as a waste of time. Unless you're rating guys for a very particular scheme, your big board is going to lack direction and accuracy. I mean, how do you compare a press man CB and a zone CB? Is a zone team really going to care that the press man CB is the overall more effective player when you consider both man and zone coverage? No. They're going to want the guy who best fits their scheme.

It's why I don't bother. I know how I rate guys in my head. I know who I want the most and I know who I don't want. I know who I think fits in our scheme and who I don't really think fits. But if you asked me to make you my big board, I'd just politely say no.

Completely agree! I ignore virtually all of the Mock draft mania unless it is specifically targeted for the Rams and their specific scheme needs. The key question is always: How are the Rams going to employ this player in their offensive/defensive/special team plays?