Mike Martz Talks Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
http://www.rams-news.com/mike-martz-talks-rams-and-sam-bradford-radio-interview/

Mike Martz joined Nick Wagoner and Reed Low as apart of our salute to coaches week, as he talks about when he found out he wanted to be a coach, who was some of his inspirations, and Mike really digs into some of his biggest regrets and mistakes he made as a coach and what he’d do over again. Martz then jumps into the draft conversation and suggest the Rams take a WR and stick with Bradford at QB.

I can't embed this link so you can just play the media on the website. If someone can show me how to later, I'd appreciate it. For some reason this specific link won't work...

Hope you all enjoy it!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Enjoyed hearing Martz talk about his roots.

Also, admitting what he did wrong as a head coach.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Martz would draft a WR. Watkins it is then!
Exactly what I thought when I read that! lol He'd take Watkins without a doubt if he were running the show... Imagine a Martz offense? with our defense? It's a dream but I miss me some Mad Mike! Always entertaining!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Great interview. I had a love/hate relationship with Mad Mike as a fan back in then but i always enjoy listening to his takes on offense,QB's and football in general.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He also said they need OL help, and taking an OT would be ok too.

What he made clear was that Bradford was the real deal and they should just help him with a WR that can win on the outside and an OL that protects him better. He said the defense is good enough to win a SB with right now.

Ram_of_Old

Of course Martz and his empty backfield formations are the reason that Warner was shipped off to the Giants and then the cards....and another Super Bowl.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Of course Martz and his empty backfield formations are the reason that Warner was shipped off to the Giants and then the cards....and another Super Bowl.
And because Bulger was hot and healthy.
Commence debate! Lol no j.k. Its a tired debate...and an old one.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Martz for several reasons. Some directly related to the Rams and some not.
What I like about him now is with a little time away from the game the guy seems genuine and genuinely thankful for his time coaching.
A guy who used to be very arrogant has gotten pretty humble.

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's always nice to see improvement from people, that's why I love sports so much! It's always easier to analyze yourself when you take a step back (like not coaching) to think about your positive and negatives. He was an overall pretty darn good offensive coach, hard to argue against that. Yea he made his mistakes, but without him, we wouldn't have had one of the most decorated teams of all time. Dick Vermiel and Mike Martz deserve lots of props, love listening to these guys on the radio!

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I loved mad mike. He was never in a position to succeed with no front office. What could have been with a real GM...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I always thought he was a great coach even though some might not. When he was fired, that was the time when we became the worst team in history over the span of several years. Could he have kept us afloat if he was still our HC during that time? Impossible to say for sure but I almost tend to think he could have...

Ram_of_Old

If Martz would come back as out OC, that would be fine. Fisher could control him like Dick did. But he was not a good head coach. He put Warner in positions that nearly ended his career. Kurt went to the Giants, recuperated, and went back to another SB for the Cards.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wonder if Martz likes Watkins coming out of college as much as he liked Trung. :D

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He also said they need OL help, and taking an OT would be ok too.

What he made clear was that Bradford was the real deal and they should just help him with a WR that can win on the outside and an OL that protects him better. He said the defense is good enough to win a SB with right now.
He did color on a couple Rams games last year, with Sam, and he raved about some of his throws during the game.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He did color on a couple Rams games last year, with Sam, and he raved about some of his throws during the game.
Yes. And he said the Rams WRs can't get no separation.

That should be the theme song for the a Rams WRs.

"I can't get no, separation"
And I try, and I try, and I try, and I try.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What can't be doubted about Martz is his knowledge of the QB position. He managed to identify guys like Trent Green, Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger and Ryan Fitzpatrick as legitimate talents when no one else did. And he coached them up. I trust the man's ability to evaluate QBs.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yes. And he said the Rams WRs can't get no separation.

That should be the theme song for the a Rams WRs.

"I can't get no, separation"
And I try, and I try, and I try, and I try.
I do remember him saying that. Of course that was with Givens and Pettis starting. I think Austin and Bailey in their second years will be able to do better