Mike Karney Q and A

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
Admit it....you've been caught doing your old schtick again and no amount of your posting pages per post of obfuscation will change the fact that you claimed "TEAM" yet can't provide more than two players.
You're missing the point, Squeak. There are very real differences between what happened under Linehan, and what happened under Spagnuolo. Regarding your other posts, I think you're getting too hung up on semantics here. But that's just my observation.

Well those posts are now a heck of a lot of scrolling away....but at issue is his contention that players that speak out negatively in the press towards a coach are not ostracized. That's pure fantasy IMO. The example he gives is only 2 players, both the highest paid vets at that time and both out of reach of the coach.
Well, maybe they are - maybe they aren't. Like you said, it depends on circumstance. That said, has there been even one other player that has chastised Spagnuolo even remotely to the extent that Karney has? One? I think that's the crux of the issue here. We saw *several* players openly mock, decry, defy, and even flat out state that Linehan was out of touch with the team. I think that's the main point here.

Uh.... I think.

And as I've said earlier.....time will tell.
Yep. The great equalizer. But let's say, I don't know, 3 other players come out and say that the atmosphere at Rams Park was stifling or paranoid. What does it matter? Are we (or you) suggesting that it was those *things* that led to the demise of Spagnuolo/Devaney? If so, you pretty much have to discount every other variable. Or, at a minimum, assign a pretty high percentage of blame to his management skills (with players or otherwise). I dunno. Just doesn't seem like this is a productive conversation. We're now holstering Karney's comments in the hopes that someone else says something similar. To what end?

Meh. I'm more invested in analyzing what Fisher/Snead are planning to do, and following how THAT unfolds. Kind of the same thing I did with Spagnuolo/Devaney. They were going to install a system and team concept centered on the four pillars. Maybe if everything went according to plan, it would have been a success. We'll just never know. Now we're doing a 180 with these two new guys. They're going to put everyone on notice and dress everyone down in the hopes of fielding the most competitive and qualified group of guys. Obviously that's going to mean going away from the previous philosophy to an extent. Should be interesting to see how that works out. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just curious as to how it works out. And, of course, I'm behind it 100%.

Anonymous

X, It doesn't matter in the present. However it is illustrative IMO of the culture of dread within Rams Park that we heard about once Spags was fired. For all the excuses of which some are quite legit what really irked me about Spags was his game management. It was lacking. Lacking in as a rookie. For the first time in years it's not learn on the job at Rams Park. It is a well charted course at Rams Park with JF at the helm.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X, It doesn't matter in the present. However it is illustrative IMO of the culture of dread within Rams Park that we heard about once Spags was fired. For all the excuses of which some are quite legit what really irked me about Spags was his game management. It was lacking. Lacking in as a rookie. For the first time in years it's not learn on the job at Rams Park. It is a well charted course at Rams Park with JF at the helm.
Meh. I don't agree with all of that, but it's not important. The one thing we do agree about is, "it's not on the job training." Whether or not that's *the formula for success* is another matter entirely. That is, I'm sure, something we both hope is the answer. And in all honesty, I hope JF doesn't have to deal with nearly every skill position player ending up on IR. I'm kind of tired of defending the coach over things that should be easily acknowledged by the casual fan. To that end, I'd be really curious to see what Titans fans were saying about JF when he *did* have to deal with that very same thing several years ago. The record actually reflected it, so I'm sure there was a sect of fans that ignored the reasons behind it. If you're able to google that, I'm sure you'll see where my head's at.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
squeaky wheel said:

Amen. Instead of defending one ex Ram coach and/or denigrating another, we should be looking at the track record of our current HC. Just to add to the convo, can anyone give examples of players in TN quitting on Fisher or speaking out against him in the media? Just curious.....

EDIT: Wow X, read your post above after I wrote mine and it looks like we are on the same page. You know what they say about small minds.....or is it great mi....what was I talking about again? oh look, something shiny!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Just to add to the convo, can anyone give examples of players in TN quitting on Fisher or speaking out against him in the media? Just curious.....
Yeah, a couple. But it doesn't matter either. A pissed off player is going to spout off. That's just the way it is. Like points raised in this thread, it's not indicative of the team as a whole when 1 or 2 players get chippy. Webster Slaughter comes to mind, and Vince Young of course. Again, none of it matters though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Faceplant said:
Just to add to the convo, can anyone give examples of players in TN quitting on Fisher or speaking out against him in the media? Just curious.....
Yeah, a couple. But it doesn't matter either. A pissed off player is going to spout off. That's just the way it is. Like points raised in this thread, it's not indicative of the team as a whole when 1 or 2 players get chippy. Webster Slaughter comes to mind, and Vince Young of course. Again, none of it matters though.

Agreed, I was just curious and you gave 2 good examples. Webster Slaughter...wow, how long ago was THAT?? :shock:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
X said:
Faceplant said:

Agreed, I was just curious and you gave 2 good examples. Webster Slaughter...wow, how long ago was THAT?? :shock:
[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/longtimeago.mp3[/mp3]

:ww: :cheese:

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
Faceplant said:
X said:
Faceplant said:

[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/longtimeago.mp3[/mp3]

:ww: :cheese:

The name of the sound byte killed me. :rofl:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My last comments in this thread...

We are fortunate to have a new HC that will command respect from day 1. There has been a leadership void at the top of the franchise for years now. Fish is going to fill that void and then some. I can't believe that I don't see more excitement from a bunch of you... landing Fisher is something to shout about my brethren...

I'm looking forward to the future of the team. I could give a fuck about loserhan and Spags,,, I'll never understand the apparent love some of you have for Spags. Like I said earlier, I can't forget them fast enough. I'm moving on from talking about both of them before I start talking too much shit.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Selassie I said:

We are fortunate to have a new HC that will command respect from day 1. There has been a leadership void at the top of the franchise for years now. Fish is going to fill that void and then some. I can't believe that I don't see more excitement from a bunch of you... landing Fisher is something to shout about my brethren...

I'm looking forward to the future of the team. I could give a freak about loserhan and Spags,,, I'll never understand the apparent love some of you have for Spags. Like I said earlier, I can't forget them fast enough. I'm moving on from talking about both of them before I start talking too much shyte.

I believe all HCs do that, however, some aren't successful. And I believe that Spags was successful in doing so.

But Spags is the past, and Fisher is now.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Lesson said:
Selassie I said:

I'm looking forward to the future of the team. I could give a freak about loserhan and Spags,,, I'll never understand the apparent love some of you have for Spags. Like I said earlier, I can't forget them fast enough. I'm moving on from talking about both of them before I start talking too much shyte.

I believe all HCs do that, however, some aren't successful. And I believe that Spags was successful in doing so.

All right,,, this is my last comment on this...

NOPE

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:

I'm looking forward to the future of the team. I could give a fuck about loserhan and Spags,,, I'll never understand the apparent love some of you have for Spags. Like I said earlier, I can't forget them fast enough. I'm moving on from talking about both of them before I start talking too much shit.
Different strokes for different folks, mah brothuh. I'm excited about what the new guys will bring too. Always am stoked for a new season, no matter what the circumstances entail. I don't know that I should be doing written cartwheels over it. I didn't do that when Spags was hired either, so why should I get all giddy over Fisher? Because he coached before? Here's all you need to know. When Fisher begins his resurrection here, I'll have his back like a tramp stamp on Megan Fox. Nothin' but love for the stache. Nothin but love.

Anonymous

Faceplant said:
squeaky wheel said:

Amen. Instead of defending one ex Ram coach and/or denigrating another, we should be looking at the track record of our current HC. Just to add to the convo, can anyone give examples of players in TN quitting on Fisher or speaking out against him in the media? Just curious.....

EDIT: Wow X, read your post above after I wrote mine and it looks like we are on the same page. You know what they say about small minds.....or is it great mi....what was I talking about again? oh look, something shiny!!

The track record of the current HC isn't all that different from the expected formula.

When he had players and a healthy team, he won.

The losing years happened when he had mass injuries and/or cap cuts.

Pretty much what you would expect without looking.

I think Fisher has top notch qualities as a coach but the record doesn't always reveal that, because he has losing seasons where he has to contend with stuff no coach ever overcomes.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Selassie I said:
Lesson said:
Selassie I said:

All right,,, this is my last comment on this...

NOPE

Coaches don't get to the HC position without demanding respect, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Faceplant said:
squeaky wheel said:

The track record of the current HC isn't all that different from the expected formula.

I think Fisher has top notch qualities as a coach but the record doesn't always reveal that, because he has losing seasons where he has to contend with stuff no coach ever overcomes.
That's all I'm saying.

Right there.

Again, let's all hope he doesn't have to deal with the same shit. We're all due a break here.

Anonymous

squeaky wheel said:
Admit it....you've been caught doing your old schtick again and no amount of your posting pages per post of obfuscation will change the fact that you claimed "TEAM" yet can't provide more than two players.

Well first off that's a personal attack. Not an argument.

Secondly more than 2 players were named. In each case the ones named were team leaders.

Thirdly the writers all make reference to the locker room and/or team atmosphere. That's something veteran writers familiar with a team notice when they are around a team.

If you gathered all the writers who actually knew the team from 2008 and said the team had NOT turned on Linehan, you would be laughed out of the room.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Wow X, read your post above after I wrote mine and it looks like we are on the same page. You know what they say about small minds.....or is it great mi....what was I talking about again? oh look, something shiny!!
fingerguns.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Seemed like he was okay with it WHEN it happened....

Karney knew his days with Rams were numbered

Jim Thomas
February 9, 2011
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1nAOJNTxV

It's not like veteran fullback Mike Karney was blindsided by the news. He could see the handwriting on the wall for months — in large lettering — that he wasn't in the Rams' plans.

The news became official this week when coach Steve Spagnuolo informed Karney that he was being released.

"It's kind of been in the works for some time now," Karney said Tuesday. "Throughout the process of me being inactive for four weeks my agent had been calling and talking to Kevin Demoff just about what was going on."

Beginning with Denver on Nov. 28, Karney was placed on the pregame inactive list for Games 11-14. He saw action in the final two games of the 2010 season only because his replacement, Brit Miller, suffered a season-ending knee injury in Game 14 against Kansas City.

[hil]Once the regular season ended, Karney had a regular dialogue with coach Steve Spagnuolo, via text and phone conversations.[/hil] Once Pat Shurmur was hired as head coach in Cleveland, Karney was anxious to see who would replace Shurmur as offensive coordinator in St. Louis. [hil]When Josh McDaniels was hired, Karney knew his days were really numbered in St. Louis.[/hil]

"I know what offenses (McDaniels) has run," Karney said.[hil]"I know Josh is not known to use a fullback."[/hil]

So Karney's release came basically through mutual agreement; he was actually informed Monday by Spagnuolo.

[hil]"It's been an open, good relationship throughout this whole thing," Karney said. "I have no animosity. I'm not bitter. I'm just happy that the decision's been made and both parties can move forward.[/hil]

"They've made a decision to fit the offense towards Sam (Bradford). And I respect that. He's a great quarterback, and obviously the future of the Rams. But it was just nice of them to make the decision early."

Karney had one year left on a three-year, $3.5 million free-agent deal he signed with the Rams in March 2009. As a released player, Karney can be signed immediately — he doesn't have to wait until the start of the free agency and trading period March 4.

(Of course, there won't be a free agency and trading period March 4 without a new collective bargaining agreement between the players and the owners.)

"My agent and I really wanted to have this done now, so that we have a chance (to sign elsewhere) in this next month before a potential lockout," Karney said.

Hooking up with another team in the next 3½ weeks may be a long shot given the labor uncertainty, but at least Karney can let teams know that he's available.

"We felt that the sooner the better, and we conveyed that to the Rams," Karney said. "They agreed, and out of respect they granted our wish at the end of the day. [hil]You know, teams can really hold onto these things and wait. They were respectful enough, professional enough, and they felt that way about me to where, 'Hey, look, you're a good enough player but we want to give you the opportunity to find a team as soon as possible.' "[/hil]

Karney's cause in St. Louis was hurt by the fact that he played very little on special teams. Miller, on the other hand, is one of the team's best special teams performers.

There was no bigger advocate for Karney on the Rams' roster than running back Steven Jackson, who was ecstatic to get a lead-blocking fullback two years ago when Karney was signed.

On Tuesday, Jackson tweeted: "I hear my 'bro' Karney was released. I'm bummed out about the news but that's the business. He's my true friend and not just a teammate."

Karney said, "Steven and I had a lot of aspirations of doing well together. That he and I couldn't really establish more of what we wanted to do on the field, that kind of is the saddest part."

Karney's wife Kim gave birth to their first child Friday, a boy named Daxton Michael Karney.

superfan24

Starter
Re: Seemed like he was okay with it WHEN it happened....

X said:
Karney knew his days with Rams were numbered

Jim Thomas
February 9, 2011
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1nAOJNTxV

It's not like veteran fullback Mike Karney was blindsided by the news. He could see the handwriting on the wall for months — in large lettering — that he wasn't in the Rams' plans.

The news became official this week when coach Steve Spagnuolo informed Karney that he was being released.

"It's kind of been in the works for some time now," Karney said Tuesday. "Throughout the process of me being inactive for four weeks my agent had been calling and talking to Kevin Demoff just about what was going on."

Beginning with Denver on Nov. 28, Karney was placed on the pregame inactive list for Games 11-14. He saw action in the final two games of the 2010 season only because his replacement, Brit Miller, suffered a season-ending knee injury in Game 14 against Kansas City.

[hil]Once the regular season ended, Karney had a regular dialogue with coach Steve Spagnuolo, via text and phone conversations.[/hil] Once Pat Shurmur was hired as head coach in Cleveland, Karney was anxious to see who would replace Shurmur as offensive coordinator in St. Louis. [hil]When Josh McDaniels was hired, Karney knew his days were really numbered in St. Louis.[/hil]

"I know what offenses (McDaniels) has run," Karney said.[hil]"I know Josh is not known to use a fullback."[/hil]

So Karney's release came basically through mutual agreement; he was actually informed Monday by Spagnuolo.

[hil]"It's been an open, good relationship throughout this whole thing," Karney said. "I have no animosity. I'm not bitter. I'm just happy that the decision's been made and both parties can move forward.[/hil]

"They've made a decision to fit the offense towards Sam (Bradford). And I respect that. He's a great quarterback, and obviously the future of the Rams. But it was just nice of them to make the decision early."

Karney had one year left on a three-year, $3.5 million free-agent deal he signed with the Rams in March 2009. As a released player, Karney can be signed immediately — he doesn't have to wait until the start of the free agency and trading period March 4.

(Of course, there won't be a free agency and trading period March 4 without a new collective bargaining agreement between the players and the owners.)

"My agent and I really wanted to have this done now, so that we have a chance (to sign elsewhere) in this next month before a potential lockout," Karney said.

Hooking up with another team in the next 3½ weeks may be a long shot given the labor uncertainty, but at least Karney can let teams know that he's available.

"We felt that the sooner the better, and we conveyed that to the Rams," Karney said. "They agreed, and out of respect they granted our wish at the end of the day. [hil]You know, teams can really hold onto these things and wait. They were respectful enough, professional enough, and they felt that way about me to where, 'Hey, look, you're a good enough player but we want to give you the opportunity to find a team as soon as possible.' "[/hil]

Karney's cause in St. Louis was hurt by the fact that he played very little on special teams. Miller, on the other hand, is one of the team's best special teams performers.

There was no bigger advocate for Karney on the Rams' roster than running back Steven Jackson, who was ecstatic to get a lead-blocking fullback two years ago when Karney was signed.

On Tuesday, Jackson tweeted: "I hear my 'bro' Karney was released. I'm bummed out about the news but that's the business. He's my true friend and not just a teammate."

Karney said, "Steven and I had a lot of aspirations of doing well together. That he and I couldn't really establish more of what we wanted to do on the field, that kind of is the saddest part."

Karney's wife Kim gave birth to their first child Friday, a boy named Daxton Michael Karney.

:what: just had to laugh after reading the highlighted parts and what karney is saying now.

superfan24

Starter
zn said:
Faceplant said:
squeaky wheel said:

Yep same thing has/would happen if Spags were still here. As X said, we are due for a few straight healthy seasons. Go get 'em Fish.
GO RAMS