Midseason rookie review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
By Daniel Jeremiah at NFL.com

THREE MOST DYNAMIC ROOKIES

Amari Cooper, WR, Oakland Raiders

2015 stats (7 games): 38 receptions, 565 yards, 3 touchdowns.
th

His production is excellent, but I've been more impressed with his polish. He understands how to set up defenders and create separation. His explosiveness is easy to identify, both before and after the catch. There have been a couple communication errors with his quarterback, but I expect that to improve through experience.

Todd Gurley, RB, St. Louis Rams

2015 stats (5 games): 94 carries, 575 yards (6.1 ypc), 3 touchdowns; 10 receptions, 68 yards.
th

The Rams were smart to ease Gurley into action following his knee surgery last fall. He looks even better than he did at Georgia. Gurley runs angry inside the tackles and has been a nightmare to tackle at the second and third level of the defense. He hasn't been a big factor in the passing game, but that should change as he gets more accustomed to the offense

Tyler Lockett, WR/PR/KR, Seattle Seahawks

2015 stats (8 games): 20 receptions, 253 yards, 1 touchdown; 24 punt returns, 195 yards (8.1 ypr), 1 touchdown; 14 kick returns, 356 yards (25.4 ypr), 1 touchdown.
th

It was easy to spot Lockett when studying him at Kansas State: He was the guy who was always WIDE OPEN. Not much has changed at the NFL level. He knows how to leverage defenders and has another gear when the ball is in the air. Lockett's combination of vision, toughness and burst has him on the verge of earning a trip to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner. His role in the offense should continue to increase in the second half of the season.

THREE MOST DISRUPTIVE ROOKIES

Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, New Orleans Saints

2015 stats (8 games): 38 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 forced fumbles.
th

I love the way he plays the game. He has very strong hands to torque and turn OTs, and his motor never stops. He looks like a legitimate double-digit sack artist. There are times when he loses sight of the ball, but he's been a force for a struggling Saints defense.

Marcus Peters, CB, Kansas City Chiefs/Ronald Darby, CB, Buffalo Bills

Peters' 2015 stats (8 games): 38 tackles, 11 passes defensed, 3 interceptions, 1 touchdown.
Darby's 2015 stats (7 games): 34 tackles, 14 passes defensed, 2 interceptions.

th
th

OK, I cheated. I originally pegged Peters for this spot, but after studying more of Darby, I've decided to split my vote. Both of these young corners are playing at a very high level. Peters is very physical in press coverage and shows outstanding route recognition down the field. Darby has displayed excellent recovery speed and ball awareness. I'd like to see both convert more breakups into interceptions in the second half of the season.

Kwon Alexander, MLB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2015 stats (7 games): 49 tackles, 1 sack, 7 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, 1 forced fumble.
th

It's rare that a rookie almost single-handedly carries a defense to a win, but that was the case with Alexander at Atlanta last Sunday. He generated two turnovers (one forced fumble and one interception) against an offense that was moving the ball up and down the field. Alexander was made to play in this defense. He has shown outstanding range, instincts and versatility. He's never going to be a thumper inside, but he can improve in taking on blocks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-review-amari-cooper-todd-gurley-flourishing