"middle school offense"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Comparing Sean McVay’s offense to Jeff Fisher’s for Los Angeles Rams
by Noah Schlaebitz http://ramblinfan.com/2017/06/19/los-angeles-rams-head-to-san-francisco-for-a-week-3/
With Sean McVay entering his first year as head coach for the Los Angeles Rams, let’s take a look at how the offense compares to former head coach Jeff Fisher.
After the offense finished last in the league last year by only averaging 14 points per game, Sean McVay seems to be just what the Los Angeles Rams needed at head coach. McVay’s offense when he was offensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins is very different to Jeff Fisher‘s style of ground and pound.

Under McVay, Kirk Cousins transcended from a fourth-round pick to eventually being a solid starter at quarterback, and helped play a key role in the Redskins become NFC East Champions in 2016. Rams fans are hoping he can do the same to Jared Goff after his disastrous rookie year, and when looking at the Washington’s numbers from the last two seasons with Cousins, it’s easy to see why McVay was hired by Los Angeles to help improve the offense with Goff.

From a comparison standpoint, the Rams’ offense doesn’t even come close to what McVay had to work with during his time with the Redskins, and rightfully so since he was fortunate enough to have key playmakers like DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon to work with. Not only did Washington have more first downs (315) when compared to Los Angeles (219), but 226 of those first downs came from pass plays.

When it came to overall yardage, the Redskins were significantly better than the Rams. Even though both head coaches ran the football around the same amount of times from a percentage standpoint (Fisher’s 41 percent compared to McVay’s 38 percent), McVay was known to use the passing game more to setup the run.

In other words, this made Washington’s offense less predictable than Los Angeles, who basically force fed the run. When comparing the two offensive units, the Redskins had 1,885 more yards of total offense.

On top of that, Washington had a higher third-down efficiency at 45 percent compared to Los Angeles’ 31 percent. Of the 1,885 yards on offense, 1,445 of those yards were from passing. The disturbing part is Fisher prides himself on being able to run the football, yet produced 440 less rushing yards.

With McVay changing the offensive scheme in Los Angeles to fit what he did in Washington, Rams fans hope he can replicate the numbers that he produced as offensive coordinator with the Redskins. If McVay pulls it off the Rams fan base will have a bright future to look forward to.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Well we already know that the offense we witnessed last season was horrid. So any other offensive scheme has better stats so the McVay stats don't mean much compared to the Rams. McVay's stats compared to the rest of the league is whats meaningful. The talent McVay had was also much better than the Rams and no matter how good he is at coaching he can't overcome a huge lack of talent....at least not this season. This team needs good luck and lots of it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Doesn't such a comparison result in a divide by zero error?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The talent McVay had was also much better than the Rams and no matter how good he is at coaching he can't overcome a huge lack of talent....at least not this season. This team needs good luck and lots of it.
This^ sounds like your saying, the Rams this year are suffering from a Huge Lack of Talent! IF that's correct, I think your Dead Wrong!! JMHO!

bnw

Pro Bowler
Doesn't such a comparison result in a divide by zero error?

If a line is to represent game outcome then the negative direction would represent losing while the positive direction would represent winning, an even tug between the two directions would be an 8-8 season. How to work infinity into this is beyond me since I do believe the Rams will not lose every game nor win every game. I have a headache.:rant:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
with all the variables such as new coach/schemes/players/etc .... I can realistically say we could be anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6. We are going to need luck to bounce our way on the injury front, but if it does ... I see it more an 8-8 to 10-6 type season. there are going to be some growing pains. But i think the professionalism and work ethic is going to be a major factor in an uptick swing. McVay just oozes that characteristic. It will rub off on the entire organization.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
After that comment was made, it was pretty much the beginning of the end for Fisher

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
no comparison...

I'd say that Schotty, Boras...and the other OC are comparing themselves to McVay...

Remember, Washington had some terrible REDZONE offense too...and a whole lotta int's.