Middle Linebacker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Is anyone else concerned about MLB? I have seen nothing from any of them.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Ogletree missed most of last season and starts at a new position this season, so while you are right that he's not looking seasoned just yet, he does have to shake off some rust while getting accustomed to his new responsibilities. I'll worry if he's still shaky on game 1, not today.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Ogletree missed most of last season and starts at a new position this season, so while you are right that he's not looking seasoned just yet, he does have to shake off some rust while getting accustomed to his new responsibilities. I'll worry if he's still shaky on game 1, not today.

This. Only my worry is it might take Ogletree a lot longer than a few more pre-season games to get up to speed. He could quite feasibly be struggling for months. :/ Let's hope not and he's ready to go ASAP.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This. Only my worry is it might take Ogletree a lot longer than a few more pre-season games to get up to speed. He could quite feasibly be struggling for months. :/ Let's hope not and he's ready to go ASAP.

That is my concern. I think it takes him more than just preseason and that's not good for our D. He wasn't even in on any running plays he had 1 assist.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Definitely nowhere close to what we are used to seeing from our defensive leader but Tree will grow into it as the year progresses. I just hope GW is able to coach him up and that it will not cost us in crucial moments early in the season.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Ogletrees weakness as a pro has been blockshedding and coming downhill imho. As an outisde backer he was quick, fast and was playing instinctively and looked like a real playmaker. My worry was when they moved him - we'd be weakening 2 positions on our linebacking corps. One - by losing his playmaking as an outside backer - Two - because he'd struggle at Mike. We'll see about that. I may be wrong.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Ogletrees weakness as a pro has been blockshedding and coming downhill imho. As an outisde backer he was quick, fast and was playing instinctively and looked like a real playmaker. My worry was when they moved him - we'd be weakening 2 positions on our linebacking corps. One - by losing his playmaking as an outside backer - Two - because he'd struggle at Mike. We'll see about that. I may be wrong.

Barron on the outside means that position remains strong whatever happens. While I don't believe it will come down to it, in a worse case scenario, Ogletree moves back to WLB, Barron goes back to SS, Hager starts at MLB. Has anyone been paying attention to Hager, because i've got nothing on him this pre-season. More competition at FS, so who wins it between TJ, Randolph and Davis ?

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Super double secret Plan B
i.png
:D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ogletree seems like a better WLB. I hope he can make Williams look like a genius for moving him there but I am skeptical after hearing how hard he has worked at studying mlb in the offseason, and him now.

Maybe he is playing safe after a year off due to injury. Tough to read vets in pre-season games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the preseason. This isn't our real defense. And I doubt a lot of the proven vets are giving 110% out there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am sure Aaron could play MLB'er but I prefer that he in lined up in front of the QB so he can smile @ him each & every play:heh:.

No I not concerned about Ogletree at all. He has proven to be a very good SSLB'er his rookie season then flipped & played WSLB'er like an all pro. While he may never be a going forward thumper like many ILB'ers are today he can cover many fast playmakers much better than the thumpers. He fits Gregg Williams style of defense perfect.

Right now MLB'er Tree has Hager & Chubb playing behind him & neither of these two is close to pushing Tree out of his starting job. Speaking of pushing..........WSLB'er & Mark Barron's main back up Cam Lynch played like :puke:last night. Each & every opportunity where he was to deliver he failed:death:....however Lynch's back up WSLB'er rookie Cory Littleton was the total opposite of what Lynch was:bow:. As far as I am concerned Cory Littleton was the best LB'er that I saw on the field last night:yess:.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It's the preseason. This isn't our real defense. And I doubt a lot of the proven vets are giving 110% out there.
History has shown us that what the Rams do in preseason directly translate into the regular season.
I see the Dallas rookie QB is tearing it up, RGIII is looking good, Hundley looks good, Foles looked good... Ogeltree is lost at MLB
This team needs to be playoff ready NOW! not next year or the year after. The Rams are already losing drafts picks to other teams.
6-8 at best.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree with jrry32...Vets are not playing hard...They don't really hit in practice...rust is obvious....it's why we begin EVERY YEAR acting like we can't tackle....Should be the best tackling preseason game yet vs DENVER....

One thing I did notice, Ayers was clarifying something with Tree b4 a play when they stuffed KC's RB....as long as they're communicating, everything will be fine....talent is there in the front 7

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Yes sir, jrry.... this is a generic defense fine tuning itself at the moment... Ideally I would rather have Tree and Barron both on the outside but until Tree shows he can't handle the job in the regular season this is preseason speculation...

We can't forget how GW blitzed MLB James Laurinaitis, so I'm sure that little trick secret weapon using Tree will be called a couple times WK1 at Frisco & could be lethal. Even the first half defense at Denver next week will be a deceiving display of what we will see week 1.

I haven't seen one post about Barron good/bad or indifferent since preseason. He was the talk of the town in 2015. #26 flying under the radar :cool:

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
AO flashed his strength already once or twice with a stuff where he diagnosed a run up the middle and in the blink of an eye stopped it for no gain. Something the Rams haven't had at MLB for a while. But he also has flashed his weakness much more by missing his read, not shedding blocks and getting blown out of the middle. The line adjustments don't concern me as much but it is a bit weird that Ayers seems to be making as many or more adjustments right now. AO needs to step up if he's gonna QB this defense, but so far he's exactly what we thought we'd get -- the anti-JL, a guy that can make the "wow" play but is gonna whiff a lot. The defense is gonna be a roller coaster of big plays, for and against, so buckle up.

Hager to me has already become the new JL, when he's in he plays the same "prevent MLB" role. You'll see him aligned a yard further back, he's virtually backpedaling at snap. He's just trying to cover for other guys and prevent big plays, not actually make plays.

Chubb was a nice look. He's obviously done his homework, he was out there barking getting the 4th stringers and scrubs into position. He showed the confidence AO needs, and certainly looks the part. I'm assuming the roster numbers game is against him but I'm going to move him to my personal front burner of guys to watch.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lets face it Gregg Williams places tons of weight on the shoulders of his MLB'er each & every defensive play. Gregg I sure is schooling Tree right now & the pressure is high on him. If he succeeds then he will get a sizable new future contract & reward for him & his new family .....if not he could be playing LB'er for another team when his 5th yr is up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
History has shown us that what the Rams do in preseason directly translate into the regular season.
I see the Dallas rookie QB is tearing it up, RGIII is looking good, Hundley looks good, Foles looked good... Ogeltree is lost at MLB
This team needs to be playoff ready NOW! not next year or the year after. The Rams are already losing drafts picks to other teams.
6-8 at best.

Like when the Rams went 10-2 under Spags and then 10-38 in the regular season? If anything, history shows that preseason results are meaningless.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I have no idea how the Rams won either of these games, other then the Cowboys and Chiefs both completely gave up in the 2nd , that's the only explanation

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I would ask anybody who thinks Ogletree is not the guy, to let me know who is...I'm not being a smart ass here, I really don't see anybody... (as a starter)