Michael Young on the Rams Offense: “They’re not going to try to trick anybody”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Young talks to Tony Softli about the Rams offense and especially the running game. He’s looking forward to seeing Greg Robinson work inside and how the running game goes. They’re not going to try and trick anybody…run the ball first and pass the ball second. If the Rams are going to get over the hump, both the O and D Lines are going to have to take over games.

Listen to Michael Young Talks Rams Offense

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm thinking this is not really fitting of Fisher's MO. He loves trick plays. Hopefully people believing this to be the case is going to help them be more effective when he throws in the gadget and trick play.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I think it far more likely that they won't try to trick anybody on most plays - but will do just enough trickery where either the defense won't be fully set for the expected plays much of the time, or where when they DO try a trick play it goes for big yardage. So one or two trick plays a game at least.

The no trickery doesn't make sense - especially with what they gave up to get Austin. It'd be insane to have a weapon like that and not use him in all sorts of ways, including unexpected to get him open with enough space to take two steps before players can even hope to get to him. And as we know - give Austin two steps and it's likely to be a LOT more.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sure they're not trying to trick anybody... until they run a reverse to Bailey or Austin. We've seen several trick plays in Fisher's tenure.

Rams will thrive with the PA pass after pounding it with Stacy. That's not a "trick play," but it will fool the crap out of defenses. It's gonna be sheer chaos in the opposing secondary.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they mean that figuratively...

As in they're going to come right at you and make you beat them mano-a-mano.

Sure, they'll be trick plays in there... there always are.

But I think they mean "what you see is what you'll get... we're not going to disguise it".... now, beat us that way.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think the fact that we now have a brute force O line and some legit running threats will open things up for Tavon in a big way. Early in the season, Tavon was ineffective due to being a rookie, and defenders spying his every move because we were not a threat to run...at all. The fact that Tavon came on as the season progressed is a reflection of the running game as much as his maturation. I expect to see Tavon in 1 on 1 coverage quite a bit this year......and that is going to be fun to watch.

Athos

Legend
Well no. That's not the game plan. No high flying trickeration in the passing game. Robinson and Mason picks made it abundantly clear. Smash and dash.

And Bradford proved last season to actually be pretty deadly in the red zone and small volume passing.

Make no mistake though, one or two trick plays will be in the book for every game with Austin and doubly so if and when Bailey makes his return.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
When you have a great O line you can do what you want: early 90's Cowboys and 80's Skins and 2000's Chiefs are a perfect testament to that. Bradford > Trent Green. Ok, he ain't Aikman, yet...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Trent Green so far way superior compared to Sam
Interestingly it was Trent's fifth year before he started playing consistently well. His fourth season was his first full season and his team went 6-10. He had a 56% completion percentage and threw 24 INTs to 17 TDs. His fifth year they added Eddie Kennison to give him EK, and future HOFer Gonzalez to throw to as well as possible HOFer Priest Holmes' 2,200+ all purpose yards. Memory is a funny thing when it comes to certain players. Sam has played more games and has better stats through his first four years so I don't know how anyone could say that Trent was superior let alone way superior. It just doesn't hold up.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Interestingly it was Trent's fifth year before he started playing consistently well. His fourth season was his first full season and his team went 6-10. He had a 56% completion percentage and threw 24 INTs to 17 TDs. His fifth year they added Eddie Kennison to give him EK, and future HOFer Gonzalez to throw to as well as possible HOFer Priest Holmes' 2,200+ all purpose yards. Memory is a funny thing when it comes to certain players. Sam has played more games and has better stats through his first four years so I don't know how anyone could say that Trent was superior let alone way superior. It just doesn't hold up.
Because anyone not named Sam Bradford* > Sam Bradford. Duh.

*not Marc Bulger