Michael Sam Wins Arthur Ashe Award--ESPN Video

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think we should have a little wager. I say he makes the team.........so lets pony up some ROD cheddar.

I'm in for a quarter million on the sports book, but a little side action is fine with me.
I'm actually a little surprised that wasn't already a bet... but I suppose such a bet could be fouled a bit if the Rams put him on the Practice Squad.

As for me though, even if he does make the team, I personally won't think it was because of PR reasons. I think one of the reasons we even took a flyer on the guy was the fact that we were loaded at the position and could say more believably than almost any other team out there that he just didn't make the cut talent wise.

I mean... when Hayes and Sims are the BACKUPS... yeah.

Mick

Pro Bowler
A "hero" is anything you interpret it to be. I am sure my heros are different then yours. That does not make them any less of a "hero"
wrong quote replied to...disregard this post :whistle:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm actually a little surprised that wasn't already a bet... but I suppose such a bet could be fouled a bit if the Rams put him on the Practice Squad.

As for me though, even if he does make the team, I personally won't think it was because of PR reasons. I think one of the reasons we even took a flyer on the guy was the fact that we were loaded at the position and could say more believably than almost any other team out there that he just didn't make the cut talent wise.

I mean... when Hayes and Sims are the BACKUPS... yeah.

It is an actual bet on the sports book, and I have a quarter mil on him making the team.

Mick

Pro Bowler
You clearly have no idea what a "real hero" actually is. What you're describing is a maverick, not a hero. Look it up.
Ok...I did:

a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal

Sounds Like Sam qualifies....courageous to admit to being gay as he enters a work environment that is clearly, demonstrably, hostile in words if not deeds, to the idea of homosexuality.(that isn't to say that all NFL players are this way) Noble quality is serving as a role model for others, and being a pioneer of sorts, who can now look to him and believe that if he can do it, so can they.

I think the last part says it best...."in the opinion of others"....so who the fuck are you to tell someone else what a hero is or isn't. Consider yourself educated on the definition of a hero, and accept my apologies for the harsh tone, but frankly, you deserved it.

jjab360

Legend
Ok...I did:

a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal

Sounds Like Sam qualifies....courageous to admit to being gay as he enters a work environment that is clearly, demonstrably, hostile in words if not deeds, to the idea of homosexuality.(that isn't to say that all NFL players are this way) Noble quality is serving as a role model for others, and being a pioneer of sorts, who can now look to him and believe that if he can do it, so can they.

I think the last part says it best...."in the opinion of others"....so who the fuck are you to tell someone else what a hero is or isn't. Consider yourself educated on the definition of a hero, and accept my apologies for the harsh tone, but frankly, you deserved it.
I'm not the one who was talking about whether Sam deserved to be praised as a hero or not. My response was to someone who claimed Sam wasn't a "real hero" because he didn't fit his personal idea of what a hero is. As you stated, the idea of a hero is in the eye of the beholder, therefore one person doesn't have the right to make that claim or not. You're agreeing with me and responding to the wrong person in this debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I feel like he's going to be a leader in the gay community. I for one am glad that he understands both worlds because it's important that the gay community finds bridges to the straight community (and vice versa). We don't need any further polarization in this country.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I feel like he's going to be a leader in the gay community. I for one am glad that he understands both worlds because it's important that the gay community finds bridges to the straight community (and vice versa). We don't need any further polarization in this country.

Good point and well stated.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Star Chris Long
I'M PROUD OF MICHAEL SAM
... 'Excited to Play with Him'

7/17/2014 10:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE

Michael Sam is impressing his St. Louis Rams teammates -- on and off the field -- so says superstar Chris Long who tells TMZ Sports he's proud of the guy and can't wait to play with him.

After Sam was honored with the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage at the ESPYs last night, Long says he was getting a lot of positive text messages from other players on the Rams.

"I've been hearing a lot of really great feedback," Long says ... "To be able to go up there, when he was nervous I'm sure, and speak about such an emotional topic is impressive."

During the speech, Sam thanked the Rams for supporting him as he tries to become the first openly gay football player to take the field in an NFL game. Long says he's heading in the right direction.

Long also says Sam has done a great job managing the media circus that's been surrounding him ever since he went public with his sexuality.

"When he's been on the football field, it's been all business ... and the team supports him."

Long adds, "He's a great kid."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/17/chris-long-michael-sam-teammate-st-louis-rams/#ixzz37lJXbvOI

Mick

Pro Bowler
I'm not the one who was talking about whether Sam deserved to be praised as a hero or not. My response was to someone who claimed Sam wasn't a "real hero" because he didn't fit his personal idea of what a hero is. As you stated, the idea of a hero is in the eye of the beholder, therefore one person doesn't have the right to make that claim or not. You're agreeing with me and responding to the wrong person in this debate.
Yes...I think my original post, the one I edited to read "wrong post" was the actual correct one...once I got turned around all was lost...I still don't know how to delete a post, which added to my screw up. You are correct in that it was meant for the original post that you quoted, and you have my sincere apology sir. I will do better next time, or fall on my face again...it's really a coin toss each time with me o_O

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My problem with making Sam out to be a hero is this,not that there are no heroic elements to him disclosing his sexual orientation nor that it didn't take some courage, but there are many kids who will see this and attach heroism to being gay. Confused kids willing to do anything to gain status even if it means submitting to sexual predators,fact is Catholic Priests used the hero worship card to prey upon alter boys ,Jerry Sandusky did ,and to be clear I'm not inferring in any way Sam would,or would not for that matter,no one could know that.

I just know as a hetero sexual teen I was solicited by adult homosexuals aggressively as were some of my friends,some of the "soliciters" were teachers, they gave drugs to us ,a few of my friends succumbed even though they became hetero adults but the "guts' angle was tried .

Sex is a very confusing issue for all young people even if they are dead set on what their orientation is, it's IMO ill advised to set one path up as heroic while essentially discouraging others.
Sex is not an act of heroism .