Michael Sam "stepping away from the game"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
How about he demonstrates the ability and dedication to actually get significant playing time. That might be a decent first step toward not being declared a failure. No matter how everyone tries to sell it, this guy has been nothing but a train wreck since he left college. I'm not aiming this at you Ky. I just look at all the articles on this guy and see nothing but excuses as to why his supposed greatness just hasn't been realized.

So glad we cut him.
Everyone has to start somewhere. He hasn't earned playing time yet since he's just getting back to the team. I really have no dog in this fight, I just think there are plenty of guys who get a lot more benefit of the doubt. Either way I'm glad he's getting a shot and I hope he earns his way to the respect of fans.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Think he didn't make a tackle his first game either....Good luck Sam...time to get serious and get in shape...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you can play, the NFL wants you. Doesn't discriminate other than it spits out guys who can't cut it.
The way I see things it comes down to the story of 2 players
Player 1 gets his 15 minutes of fame and doesn't cut it. Yet his name keeps pippin up because of his "fame"
Player 2 is Ethan Westbrooks...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Everyone has to start somewhere. He hasn't earned playing time yet since he's just getting back to the team. I really have no dog in this fight, I just think there are plenty of guys who get a lot more benefit of the doubt. Either way I'm glad he's getting a shot and I hope he earns his way to the respect of fans.
Agreed. I have nothing against the kid. Just happy the drama is not on our team.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Done with it... to think football will just be there whenever you want it to be. Good luck in his personal endeavors, but I'd say the football career is done.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any idea how much cfl players make?

Most estimates peg the average CFL salary around $80,000. The minimum for a rookie is $50,000.

Sorry it took so long to answer this. I was busy. :)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm not judging.

I'm just...confused. To fight so hard to get to a point and then...???

Thankfully, my plate is more full than a fat man's plate at Golden Buffet, so I just don't have the time or energy to sweat anyone else's drama.

It'll work out...or it won't.

I was firmly in his corner and hoping he'd make it. It's all I can do as a fan. If the next step is to root for him to be the best office worker he can be, then it is what it is. God bless and go to it.

The NFL season rapidly approaches and...IT'S THE YEAR OF THE RAM!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The drama around this guy is finally done.

I'm not being insensitive or rude. But he got a lot of press for reasons other than football.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
This is the 2nd time he's left due to personal reasons, I'm sure he's done..To me, no team would waste their time on a marginal player who doubles as a head case and doubles again as a circus side show...I have nothing against him, I just think there are tens of thousands of guys (not just in football) who probably are far more deserving of getting their 15 minutes...

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-football--cites-mental-health-234721931.html

After a decorated final college season at Missouri, it has been a difficult run for Sam, who was taken in the seventh round of the 2014 draft by the St. Louis Rams but cut after last preseason. After a spell on the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad last fall, he was cut loose and never hooked up with another NFL club.

Then, after struggling to impress at the NFL veterans combine, Sam got his next chance with the Alouettes, and it appeared to be a good landing spot. He was excited, as was the team, and it appeared Sam had a chance to carve out a niche up north in the wide-open Canadian game as a pass rusher.

But Sam left the team early in his tenure under mysterious circumstances, as rumors circulated about his personal life. Sam returned and the team welcomed him back, but after a short spell — and only one game appearance — he was a noticeable absentee for the team's game this week against the Edmonton Eskimos, and more conjecture about his future swirled.

It turns out that the speculation was rooted in some reality with Sam's announcement on Friday.

It's a sad turn for the first openly gay professional football player, but this might be the best thing for him if he's truly experiencing mental-health concerns. And Sam clearly has thought this through by now.

Is his professional football career over? Sam seemed to leave the door cracked a bit, but a return to the NFL seems all but over at this point.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This is very Un-Halford
Some aren't meant to ROCK!!

image.jpg

fancents86

Starter
I feel bad for the kid. In my opinion, I think he regrets coming out. The kid had a great college run, won SEC defensive player of the year, won the bowl game and a play of his solidified their win...now, he almost went undrafted, can't get on a team, plays/played for a league that's not even in the country he resides in and is only known to the public for being the first openly gay player.

I really didn't see THAT much of a difference bw his play and Westbrooks play when they were competing to say "he won't make a team in the nfl". He has his flaws but his motor made up for that IMO and he made some good plays while he was on this team.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I was a fan, but it just never seemed like his heart was in it. He can say he really wanted to focus on football all he wanted, but at the end of the day his actions shined true. If he wanted to focus on football he wouldn't have made the first thing he did once he was nearing draft day be coming out.

Should have waited to establish himself before he came out, now whatever talent he has isn't worth the PR mistake and his inability to handle the spectacle he created.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Maybe the guy just doesn't want to play football anymore.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Turn the page, fade to black, exit stage left, sayonara!!!:later: