Michael Sam on early NFL experience: It’s very positive, very fun

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Michael Sam on early NFL experience: It’s very positive, very fun
Posted by Josh Alper on June 24, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwnmytyymdk1mtlmztc2m2mznji3mde0zgflngy3zmy2-e1403640999502.jpeg
AP

NFC rookies are in Ohio this week for their Rookie Symposium, an event the league holds to help players transition into the professional ranks with discussions about the history of the league, health and wellness and workplace conduct.

That last topic is getting a bit more attention this year after the conduct of the Dolphins’ offensive line became the subject of an investigation last year and also because of the presence of the league’s first openly gay player. Rams defensive end Michael Sam hasn’t experienced a hard time, though.

“It’s very positive, it’s very fun,” Sam said, via the Associated Press. “I’m excited to be playing for the Rams, I’m excited to be in the NFL.”

Sam’s Rams teammate Greg Robinson called Sam “just another guy” and “really cool once you get to know him” while Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans said it was easy to see how much Sam’s new teammates enjoy his company. That’s left Sam with plenty of time to focus on the football side of things.

“It’s very fast. Everything is full speed,” Sam said. “If you make a mistake, it could cost you that win in practice or that win in a game. That one mistake. So you’ve got to pay attention to details.”

Sam isn’t likely to see much time behind Chris Long and Robert Quinn and has been working on special teams in hopes of earning a roster spot with the Rams, which gives him plenty in common with most of the other rookies attending the events in Ohio this week.

Buccaneers' Mike Evans: 'The Rams love' Michael Sam

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Michael Sam was laughing with teammates during a running-back drill for kids, each youngster stiff-arming and juking his way to a touchdown celebration dance in a makeshift end zone.

On Tuesday, the St. Louis Rams' defensive end and the league's first openly gay active player was just another rookie at the NFL's four-day symposium.

"It's very positive, it's very fun," Sam said. "I'm excited to be playing for the Rams, I'm excited to be in the NFL."

Sam was in town with the other NFC rookies, taking part in a PLAY 60 youth football clinic with local children at the Browns' training complex.

The full orientation for the players includes presentations and workshops covering a range of topics under four core teaching principles: NFL History, Total Wellness, Professional Experience and Workplace Conduct.

But workplace conduct — that is, experiencing workplace respect and maintaining positive relationships, two main outlined elements — hasn't been a problem for Sam so far. Not with his teammates and not among the other rookies.

"You don't see anyone not talking to him or against him," said guard Greg Robinson, Sam's teammate in St. Louis and the second overall pick in April's draft. "They look at him as a football player."

That doesn't mean Sam has to shy away from who he is, though. In a meeting during the symposium, he shared some thoughts on his own life with teammates and rookies from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"Just know someone's story before you judge them. That's pretty much what it comes down to," said Tampa Bay wide receiver Mike Evans. "He's a normal guy, just like us. Just here to play football."

Sam is also quickly becoming known for his sense of humor.

"The Rams love him," Evans said. "They always joke around with him. He seems like a fun-loving guy."

And like any rookie, he is adjusting to the stark contrasts between the college and professional game.

The SEC's Co-Defensive Player Of The Year last season was taken with the 249th overall pick in the seventh round of the draft. But Sam is working hard to carve out a role on a loaded Rams' defensive line, led by ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn, who was second in the NFL in sacks last season.

He's also finding work on special teams.

"It's every fast. Everything is full speed," Sam said. "If you make a mistake, it could cost you that win in practice or that win in a game. That one mistake. So you've got to pay attention to details."

As for the details that have followed Sam since he came out to the media in February, they haven't mattered to most in the league, especially those who have met him.

"He's just another guy in the locker room," Robinson said. "He's really cool once you get to know him, and I feel like he has a great story behind him."

That story has resulted in a whirlwind year for Sam, without much time to reflect on becoming an NFL player. It's been a lifelong goal for Sam and others on the field, who were having fun with kids eager to show off their quick feet or sure hands.

"It still hasn't hit me yet, it's still like a dream," Sam said.

As he makes his way, one thing sticks out in in his mind.

"They treat me like a rookie," he said.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Sam spoke about his NFL experience thus far, saying it has been “very fun.” NBC's Erik Kuselias wonders if the Rams can cut Sam as easily as they normally could for a seventh round pick. For their part, the Rams have said they will treat Sam the same as they would any other prospect. (2:15)

Watch Sam Story

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
It's cool that Sam's getting along....but frankly, I wish they'd just let this subject die. He appears to be an affable and personable young man, what more do we need to know about him at this point outside of his playing skills?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's cool that Sam's getting along....but frankly, I wish they'd just let this subject die. He appears to be an affable and personable young man, what more do we need to know about him at this point outside of his playing skills?
these are the 'he's a regular guy eventhough he is gay' stories. LOL

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson says Michael Sam receives same respect as all St. Louis teammates
By Mark Inabinett
on June 24, 2014

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/06/greg_robinson_says_michael_sam.html

One of the four cornerstones of the NFL Rookie Symposium is workplace conduct. As the players drafted by NFC teams took their turn at the league's orientation, that issue had a dimension it had not had in any of the previous 16 annual symposiums. Michael Sam, the league's first openly gay player, is attending this week after being selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Rams' first-round selection, offensive lineman Greg Robinson of Auburn, said the workshops and presentations on workplace conduct carried a message he learned as a child.

"Growing up, that's all we used to hear, you know what I'm saying?" Robinson said. "Respect others the way you want to be respected, or treat others the way you want to be treated. Respect is a big deal on the field or off the field."
Michael SamView full sizeSt. Louis Rams defensive end Michael Sam tries to stop a participant during the NFL Play 60 event, part of the NFL's annual Rookie Symposium, at the Cleveland Browns practice facility on Tuesday, June 24, 2014, in Berea, Ohio. AP Photo

Sam said his veteran NFL teammates don't treat him like all the other guys, but as a particular kind of player, and he likes that.

"They treat me like a rookie," he said.

Robinson said Sam is just another teammate to the rest of the Rams.

"You don't see anyone not talking to him or against him," Robinson said. "They look at him as a football player. He's just another guy in the locker room. He's really cool once you get to know him, and I feel like he has a great story behind him."

The second player picked in the draft on May 8, Robinson has been working to learn a new position as he moves from collegiate tackle to pro guard. But the Rams are counting on him to make the shift and start in the opening game of his pro career. On the other hand, Sam is battling to make the team, even though he was the SEC's Co-Defensive Player of the Year for Missouri last season. During offseason practices, he's been working at defensive end and trying to show he can contribute on special teams.

"It's very positive," Sam said of the experience so far. "It's very fun. I'm excited to be playing for the Rams. I'm excited to be in the NFL."

At the Rookie Symposium, the new players also are drilled on NFL history, total wellness and professional experience with videos and workshops on health and safety, decision making, mental health, substance-abuse and domestic-violence prevention and non-discrimination. Panel discussions have titles such as "Expectations of an NFL Player," "Transitioning to the NFL," "Reaching Out," "Defining Success" and "Staying in the Game." Former and current NFL players as well as experts in a variety of fields are speaking to the players.

The 256 players selected in the 2014 NFL Draft are expected to attend the event this week. The NFC rookies are meeting from Sunday through Wednesday. The AFC rookies start a four-day session on Wednesday. Both rookie groups are participating in NFL Play 60 football camps at the Cleveland Browns training complex and will make visits to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, where 2014 inductee Aeneas Williams will lecture on NFL history.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Jeff Fisher won't tolerate bullshit like that on his team. Would you want to anger him if you were a player? And the stuff that happened last year on the Dolphins wouldn't have happened if Fisher was their either. I'm glad he chose us!