Michael Sam: I'd Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn't Come Out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I watched Sam play with Montreal and he looked pretty good. He didn't get cut from the CFL. He quit on them. The guy can play, but he seems to be a head case, and most teams won't be willing to deal with that.
-------
This is a major part of it. There is no shame in playing in Canada. It still puts you in the higher reaches of football. Why he quit, I don't know....he sure seems to feel entitled.

"Prime Time:Why do you think you are special? If it's because you're gay, then you are guilty of holding the same double standard you accuse others of having. YOu can't claim discrimination and then also demand to be treated differently because you are gay."

This is the new standard. Bigotry is fine as long as it is running one way.
If I could speak to Sam one on one I would kindly advise his to work his ass off like never before if he wants to play pro ball again....whether in the NFL or elsewhere. To please realize he is not entitled to anything. I would also advise him to take a step back, realize he is a young guy and it seems he feels overwhelmed by his circumstance. One that he helped create in a way. If he feels extra pressure because he thinks he fails as some sort of role model if he doesn't make the NFL....forget all that. He had a great college career, he is an educated guy and I am sure a likable guy. If you want to give it another go, do it the way others that have come back after being rejected....by working harder than everyone else when the cameras are not on. Do it with humility and be thankful for what you do have....from the outside looking in, it seems to be quite a bit.

Debacled

Starter
4.99 second 40 time. Undersized to be a 4-3 end. Almost too small to play a 3-4 outside backer. Bulk up and get slower? Try to get faster to show off lacking coverage skills as a OLB?

No fit in the NFL. You aren't big/good/fast enough. Has nothing to do with being too gay

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You are exactly where you belong Mr. Sam. If you don't like it, spit the sour grapes out and DO something about it. Excuses are for losers.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I kind of gather that he didn't really want to have this become a media circus...If there was ever a chance for that not to happen, I think he probably gave up the ghost when he kissed his boyfriend on national TV...

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Michael Sam thread and somehow Tebow still gets mentioned. Wow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give it a rest. He would have been drafted a couple rounds higher if he weren't gay but he wouldn't have been much of anything in the NFL. He had a chance to make the Rams, Westbrooks beat him out. I don't want to hear that they were even. They weren't. Sam picked up a couple of sacks during the preseason but Westbrooks thoroughly outplayed him.

And if Sam were really dedicated to playing pro football, he wouldn't have quit on his CFL team. If anything, I think he's the reason why he couldn't hack it. If he wanted it bad enough, he wouldn't have walked away.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd have to concur with most people here. He wasn't good enough to play in the NFL. The Rams releasing him was no surprise.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If the NFL discriminates it only because they favor the color green. As in money. If you're good enough you will play. Teams don't care about what you do behind closed doors. Thats up to the talk shows for that. Teams want to win. And you win with the best players.

There are thousands of hopefuls out there who believe they're good enough. But in reality they're not. And only a small handful of those will improve enough to make a roster over the next few years. Odds for Sam ain't good. Maybe he should parlay his fame and go into something else.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
there it is. I've been waiting for him to throw it out there. little punk bitch just wanted attention. more interested in reality TV, Oprah, the ESPY's etc than playing football. that was obvious from the beginning

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
What an entitled brat, no wonder why many people have sour impressions towards the LGBT community and SJWs. The bad apples in those groups will overreact to issues like this.

tonyl711

Starter
the thing is IMO, he tried to make his coming out as a tool to keep the focus on him, it wasnt anyone elses business what your sexual orientation was, but you forced people to know your personal life and now you blame the fact that your not in the NFL on being gay, who is to blame here? he put it in peoples faces then cries about backlash, some people dont want to watch you kiss your BF after your names called in the draft. you brought it on yourself big guy, deal with it.

dhaab

Rookie
Yeah, but not because the NFL is homophobic, but because your ridiculous circus wouldn't scare everyone away.

It's your own damn fault Sam. Now sleep in the bed you made.

So, if the NFL isn't homophobic, where are all the openly gay players in the league??

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
So, if the NFL isn't homophobic, where are all the openly gay players in the league??
I assume they don't need nor want to be, how exactly does what they prefer correlate into their performance? I'm sure there are biases, like there is in every stage of life, but are you going to tell me 32 teams, thousands of employees and workers and millions of different opinions and personalities and all of them are homophobic because Michael Sam wasn't good enough to cut it in the NFL?

Not every player is looking to get press for other things outside of their actual skill.

dhaab

Rookie
I assume they don't need nor want to be, how exactly does what they prefer correlate into their performance? I'm sure there are biases, like there is in every stage of life, but are you going to tell me 32 teams, thousands of employees and workers and millions of different opinions and personalities and all of them are homophobic because Michael Sam wasn't good enough to cut it in the NFL?

Not every player is looking to get press for other things outside of their actual skill.

When did I say that every single employee of the NFL is homophobic? I'm simply stating that the overall impression could be that the league as a whole is homophobic. After all, we're talking about a league that prides itself on things like "manhood" and "being tough". Those things don't really jibe with being gay.