Michael Lombardi on Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Interesting takes from Lombardi. I fully agree with him that the consistently good/great teams are what they are because they built a program from the top down. "People are selected instead of elected."
I like that.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting takes from Lombardi. I fully agree with him that the consistently good/great teams are what they are because they built a program from the top down. "People are selected instead of elected."
I like that.

I thought it was interesting too, and it makes me wonder if Kroenke should hire a team president with a winning track record. Demoff competing against Belichick makes you look at it with a new perspective.

FRO

Legend
I thought it was interesting too, and it makes me wonder if Kroenke should hire a team president with a winning track record. Demoff competing against Belichick makes you look at it with a new perspective.
This is what I've been saying. Demoff may be a great cap guy, but he shouldn't be the guy running the show. They need a football guy running the show. The organizational structure is lacking. The Rams 4 winning seasons in the last 27 years all came largely from the roster Vermiel and Armey assembled. Build a front office with guys who can identify and assemble talent. Let those guys hire the coach. Don't hire the coach and let him decide who assembles the talent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He is correct. And I think Stan is ready and willing to do that. I believe as this whole thing unfolds this will be the offseason that changed our fortunes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Total nonsense. Just another affirmation of the good ole boys league. It is irrelevant who "runs the show." You just need to keep business and football separate. Get the right football people. Put them in charge. Don't meddle. That simple. And that's what the Rams tried to do under Fisher. He was simply not the right guy.

FRO

Legend
Total nonsense. Just another affirmation of the good ole boys league. It is irrelevant who "runs the show." You just need to keep business and football separate. Get the right football people. Put them in charge. Don't meddle. That simple. And that's what the Rams tried to do under Fisher. He was simply not the right guy.
The only coach I would give the Fisher deal to is Harbaugh. After that I want my President/GM to hire the coach and for that President/GM to be a top notch football guy who can assemble talent. Then hire Kyle Shanahan/Matt Patricia to be the HC. Think that is the way forward.

Side note, I'm not sure Shanahan would make a great HC. I do think his offense is perfect for the team. I think Patricia would actually make a really good HC, but this team needs an offensive identity in the worst way.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only coach I would give the Fisher deal to is Harbaugh. After that I want my President/GM to hire the coach and for that President/GM to be a top notch football guy who can assemble talent. Then hire Kyle Shanahan/Matt Patricia to be the HC. Think that is the way forward.

Side note, I'm not sure Shanahan would make a great HC. I do think his offense is perfect for the team. I think Patricia would actually make a really good HC, but this team needs an offensive identity in the worst way.

I don't see any benefit to having a President/GM. It's either a meaningless title, or it unnecessarily complicates the GM's job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@FRO

But on the topic of President/GM job, a Redskin fan on another forum said that the long-term plan for the Shanahans in Washington was for Mike to end up as the President of Football Ops and Kyle to be the Head Coach.

FRO

Legend
@FRO

But on the topic of President/GM job, a Redskin fan on another forum said that the long-term plan for the Shanahans in Washington was for Mike to end up as the President of Football Ops and Kyle to be the Head Coach.
Got to hire a real GM, not a coach wanting to wind down their career. Plus having a father son duo fails more than it works. You have to hire the right guys obviously. I just think the biggest problems over the last 15 years for the Rams has been talent evaluation and the ability to assemble talent. Coaching has been lacking, but it's much easier to be a genius coach with talent.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
@FRO

If we did go with a team president, give me that set up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got to hire a real GM, not a coach wanting to wind down their career. Plus having a father son duo fails more than it works. You have to hire the right guys obviously. I just think the biggest problems over the last 15 years for the Rams has been talent evaluation and the ability to assemble talent. Coaching has been lacking, but it's much easier to be a genius coach with talent.

I think the two have a symbiotic relationship. It's hard to assemble talent with bad coaching, and it's hard to coach well without talent. Trying to isolate one as the root cause of our failure is a futile effort. I don't think there's any simple fix beyond hiring the right coach.

FRO

Legend
I think the two have a symbiotic relationship. It's hard to assemble talent with bad coaching, and it's hard to coach well without talent. Trying to isolate one as the root cause of our failure is a futile effort. I don't think there's any simple fix beyond hiring the right coach.
I agree it takes both to fix it. I just don't think giving one person power over both is a good solution unless that person has shown themselves as a superior coach. Not too many of those out there. I consider Harbaugh as one. You can hire a good coach, but if you continue to have poor talent it won't matter and vise versa.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree it takes both to fix it. I just don't think giving one person power over both is a good solution unless that person has shown themselves as a superior coach. Not too many of those out there. I consider Harbaugh as one. You can hire a good coach, but if you continue to have poor talent it won't matter and vise versa.

I don't think one person should have power over both either. However, you have to find a way to balance the power or else the relationship will sour.

RAMNATION

Rookie
I agree 100%; for 60 minutes on Sunday (or Monday and/or Thursday) games are won or lost. sure all these things matter for making a program (building a better team). but once the game starts, all that matters is football. Fisher was borderline ok before and after the game, but during the game, he was not the right guy.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
FB_IMG_1481723239310.jpg

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Best analogy I've heard was from a former Giants GM.

"The GM runs the restaurant and the coach is his chef. You don't hire a talented French chef and then provide him with ingredients used in Japanese dishes and expect him to produce award winning meals."

Fisher never grasped which two "ingredients" are most needed to win in today's NFL.

1. A top fight QB.
2. A quality OL that can protect your QB.

Being able to pressure the opposing QB is the third and was the lone area where the Rams could have been considered "playoff calibre". With that ability now fading away we are a lousy team which, unsurprisingly, has lost 8 of 9.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Exactly. Lombardi is a joke.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Demoff is competing with Belichick or Carroll? That's funny I didn't know they were team CEOs. Why I Kroenke so different from Seattles owners? Or New England's owners? He isn't. Demoff is the business end of things. I don't want Charlie Casserly managing my camp and writing contracts. They just need to pick the right people. You don't have to be a former coach or in the NFL for life to do that. Get the right GM and he can get the right coach.

It's funny because Lombardi says there are only 8 teams. That isn't for life, that is only right now. Who are the Patriots without Brady, or the Seahawks without Wilson. Who is Pittsburgh with no Big Ben? The 8 teams are good teams built around very good QBs. Where are the Niners right now? Where are the Dolphins?

What he should be saying is that it isn't easy to be a head coach in the NFL and it isn't easy to find the right guy for the job. They need to make good choices and use whatever networking they have to figure it out.