Michael Lombardi on 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
101.jpg

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/03/03202012082959.mp3[/mp3]

(starts talking about the Rams 5 minutes in)

Some notes:

1. Doesn't believe in throwing a lot of money at centers. This is the second time the Rams have had to do that (overpay for a center). Think there are centers out there - you can find them - develop them, etc. [I call bullshit on that, btw] Thinks you should instead develop offensive linemen over years. When you start TC, you should already know who your backup offensive line is. The Rams have to reflect on this and say, "How can we not do this again?"

1a. Stan Kroenke read "The War Room", but he'd fail a book report test on it. All the moves Kroenke is making are the antithesis of that program. He doesn't have that program. There are no similarities. That doesn't mean what they're doing is wrong though. They're just not "The War Room."

2. Kinda surprised that the Rams didn't sign a wide receiver yet, but then again, they can't overspend for one either. The market was kind of soft for receivers, and the guys who did get signed got a lot of money. Thinks they have to address that in the draft now. Does that mean they'll draft Blackmon? Could be.

3. The Rams have to overspend to get free agents in here. That's not a knock on the Rams Organization itself, it's just the way it is with a team that hasn't won a lot of games. Finnegan isn't the best corner in the league, but he's familiar with the system, and he'll improve the defense. His pay isn't commensurate with his play, but you can't pay too much attention to that. The contracts are disjointed when it comes to a team that hasn't won a lot of games.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Mike Lombardi's comments make a lot of sence but I have to admit that it was not the most encouraging comments about the Rams I have ever heard. But, I still believe that with Fisher, Snead and Kroenke the future will get a lot better for the Rams (and, I think it will happen sooner than a lot of Non-Rams fans think!)!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Lombardi's jumping the gun a little here on that War Room comment. I mean the guy JUST became full owner and has changed the coach, the GM, they traded the first pick in the draft before the draft, plugged a couple of holes, and are starting to turn over the roster. How long has Belichick been doing what he's been doing? I'd venture to guess he's been cultivating his program for more than a few months.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
I think Lombardi's jumping the gun a little here on that War Room comment. I mean the guy JUST became full owner and has changed the coach, the GM, they traded the first pick in the draft before the draft, plugged a couple of holes, and are starting to turn over the roster. How long has Belichick been doing what he's been doing? I'd venture to guess he's been cultivating his program for more than a few months.
I don't understand the War Room comments. Can someone explain to me what Kroenke is doing wrong when it comes to the War Room operations?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
X said:
I don't understand the War Room comments. Can someone explain to me what Kroenke is doing wrong when it comes to the War Room operations?
He's talking about Belichick's book, "The War Room" and how Kroenke had said that he read it, and would follow those principles.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
X said:
He's talking about Belichick's book, "The War Room" and how Kroenke had said that he read it, and would follow those principles.
right, but do we know what specific priniples he's talkin bout? I havent read the book.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re:

interference said:
right, but do we know what specific priniples he's talkin bout? I havent read the book.
Would you like to read it? I might have a digital copy around here somewhere. :whistle:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
LMAO "War Room" about Bellicheat??? Should check the amazing Patriots' 2006 draft!

They aren't fuckin gods of the NFL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
LMAO "War Room" about Bellicheat??? Should check the amazing Patriots' 2006 draft!

It's more about how to build a team over time and sustain success. Which they've kinda done (pains me to say that). The book, written by Michael Holley, explains (among other things) that there has to be an organizational blueprint when it comes to evaluating players. The entire scouting department has to "speak the same language", and then put in place a way to evaluate players that “always provides an instant snapshot of who a player was.”

That's why (IMO) Lombardi's comments are a bit misplaced. That's a system that's been around for a very, very long time and has evolved over time. You can't expect Kroenke to just "do it" immediately. Even though they kind of are with the maneuvering of the draft board even before the draft started.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
Would you like to read it? I might have a digital copy around here somewhere. :whistle:
yes please.... thank u

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I could be wrong (shaddup Paul - oh wait... I guess this is pretty much aimed at you.) but wasnt' Stan's main comment more along the lines of saying that there were some things to learn from the book and that we would put some of those things in play - not that he was necessarily going to model the Rams after the Patriots organization?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
I could be wrong (shaddup Paul - oh wait... I guess this is pretty much aimed at you.) but wasnt' Stan's main comment more along the lines of saying that there were some things to learn from the book and that we would put some of those things in play - not that he was necessarily going to model the Rams after the Patriots organization?
Probably something along those lines. I don't recall what he said exactly. That's another reason why Lombardi's comments are (now I'm getting more real) stupid. Lombardi said what he said after talking about the Wells signing. And. He also said the Rams "had to do it." So, which is it? Had to do it, or aren't modeling the strategies found in the War Room? This has premature proclamation written all over it; because again, Kroenke hasn't been at the wheel long enough to display any sort of trends.

Or has he?

This is an article written by a NBC website.

CSNNE.com STAFF REPORT
FOLLOW ON TWITTER @CSNNEWENGLAND
http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk ... kID=668048

Still wagging your head over the price Washington paid for Robert Griffin III? At first (and maybe second) glance, it seems insane St. Louis was able to leverage the NFL Draft's second pick for three first-round picks and a second-rounder.

But SI's Peter King sees some smarts in the deal. In this week's MMQB column, King writes how the payoff for the Redskins could be worthwhile. He also notes that St. Louis' big move was partially inspired by the New England Patriots.

Rams COO Kevin Demoff read Michael Holley's book War Room, a look at the draft strategy espoused by Bill Belichick and former proteges, Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli. The way King tells it, Demoff shared the book with team owner Stan Kroenke and things took off from there.

Lesson Number One: Stockpile draft picks to assert control.

"The 2012 Rams were in perfect position when they earned the second pick in the April draft and they already had a quarterback of the future -- they think -- on the roster in Sam Bradford."

Lesson Number Two: Take risks. Like last year, when the Atlanta Falcons dealt multiple picks to move up and draft Julio Jones. And this year: St. Louis asking for three first-round picks and holding firm through the laughter.

Lesson Number Three: Think long term.

"When the Rams went about the job of interviewing candidates for head coach and GM, Kroenke wanted two things. He wanted a coach who would be experienced and stable and would be comfortable making decisions that would impact 2015 as much as 2012. Jeff Fisher was his George Karl, a veteran coach with perspective.

"He wanted a GM, preferably, who had roots in the Patriot way. Les Snead worked under Dimitroff in Atlanta for four seasons, and when he was interviewed, told the Rams he'd be comfortable making big moves with long-term implications."

This weekend's move with Washington is one of the biggest in NFL history. Maybe the Rams should thank Holley after each pick.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Lombardi read the book either.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

It's more about how to build a team over time and sustain success. Which they've kinda done (pains me to say that). The book, written by Michael Holley, explains (among other things) that there has to be an organizational blueprint when it comes to evaluating players. The entire scouting department has to "speak the same language", and then put in place a way to evaluate players that “always provides an instant snapshot of who a player was.”

That's why (IMO) Lombardi's comments are a bit misplaced. That's a system that's been around for a very, very long time and has evolved over time. You can't expect Kroenke to just "do it" immediately. Even though they kind of are with the maneuvering of the draft board even before the draft started.

Then there should be a book about the Rooneys, or the Packer way, or the Mara family of the New York Giants. Why does it have to be about the freakin Patriots??

I'm sorry, but using just the Patriots "model" is just shallow and nothing more than more media fellas being sheep to the Patriots bandwagon. Even though they haven't won anything since Spygate...