Michael Hoecht

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've liked this guy since he was a rookie. I posted how his tests and times compared to Donald when he played inside. As a rookie he was 6'4" weighed 297 lbs and ran 4.67. If he loses 20 lbs and gets to at least 290 lbs he can shave time off his 40 and his quickness. He can be a monster on the edge. This is why I wonder if the Rams are targeting Van Ness or Keion White at 36. Van Ness is 6'5" 158 lbs and runs a 4.58, but Keion White could be another edge like Hoecht, because White is 6'5" 285 lbs, and times at 4.78 (faster than Chandler Jones).

Michael Hoecht has tremendous upsides and now with game experience and a full TC at his new position, this guy can be an important part of the Ram DL. IMO his emergence allowed the Rams to part ways with Floyd. Hoecht is the kind of edge that can give them solid outside pressure and once he learns the nuances of the position he has the quickness, size and strength to set a hard edge. If they can get a bookend edge to pair with Hoecht the Rams will have two good edges that would force runs inside.

I'm glad to see Michael being given a legit shot and I don't think he will disappoint. With AD, Hoecht, Murichison, and a rookie edge they could have a pretty good DL. Murchison flashed last year so he's not to be taken lightly. We know Fuller is solid, and Durant flashed last year as well. Rochell played well as a rookie starter but Morris benched him in favor of two slow CBs in HIll and Kendrick. Hill is gone and Kendrick is benched. It's why I see a 3rd round pick going for a CB.

Both Snead and McVay talked about leaning on the young guys I know Hoecht is one of those guys along with Durant on defense. On offense, they will be looking at Thomas, Bruss, and Long. Shelton and Jackson have validated their worth.

When I say there is more talent on the team than most realize, Hoecht is one of the more important pieces in that equation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good rotational guy on the front 3 but out of position at OLB and as Avenger said was bad in the run game there. Hopefully he's given a chance to play opposite of AD and not behind him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wonder if Hoecht will try to shed some weight so he can move faster laterally.
I am going to agree here, I believe he sheds the weight to be quicker off the edge. Might give him even more giddy up in his pass rush too.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I'm pretty certain he's one of our starting edge rushers

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I like Hoecht's motor. He can be relentless in his pursuit. Although sometimes a little reckless getting caught out of position on run plays. He's not super quick like a lighter edge guy but he's fast enough. If he figures out the tricks that get him caught out of position he can be a good one.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Showed some promise as a pass rusher.

Was a significant liability setting the edge.

We’ll see.
He was moved to edge during the season. He never played the position, so coming from inside after backing up AD at DT that is a huge move. Hoecht was learning the position on the fly with no OTAs or TC. He had been asked to gain weight to play DT. If he loses 20 lbs he will regain his speed and quickness.

Hoecht started only 6 games and played only 38% of the defensive snaps. He accounted for 4.5 sacks, 23 tackles, 13 assists, 4 TFL, 3 hurries, and 12 pressures. That is a lot of production from a guy who didn't train or practice as an edge. Lose 20 lbs and he regains speed and quickness that equals some 2nd round edges in this draft. The difference is he's already proven he can play at this level. It will be interesting to see what his weight is checking into practices this year.

Keir Thomas OLB/edge played 14% of the snaps, and produced 4 assists.

Hoecht is a DE not an OLB. When the DL plays a Fangio defensive front they are coached to read / react instead of attack. That is the inherent weakness of Morris' passive style of defense, note how he got rid of both Floyd and Gaines because they are best in a one gap attacking style. So in that perspective, Hoecht's production is massive for the number of snaps he played in a Fangio mixed front.

That is also why Donald's production is in the toilet under Morris who is squandering his talent. Aaron played 89% of the snaps, with only 5 sacks compared to the double digit sacks in 6 of his previous 8 seasons and the lowest of his career. He got 27 tackles, 22 assists, 10 TFL, 11 QBH, and 16 pressures. That should put things in perspective. So I guess we should wait and see if Donald can play in the NFL.

Why do you think Donald is thinking about retirement? There is no future under Morris if his passive defense continues. The problem is the haphazard way Morris plays his guys, not the players per se. Morris needs to drop the damn Fangio passive style and go back to attacking because that is the way the defense was built. Oh, wait he got rid of all those kinds of players.

Why do you think, I think the Rams are considering White as an edge? Not because he's going to be the best edge available, but because he fits what Morris wants. Morris has undone years of defensive building. If anyone needs to deliver it's him. Why do you think Fangio style defenses got dumped by Denver and Detroit? Fangio's philosophy is to limit the offense not stop them, because it's assumed they will stop themselves. That's why the drafted Bobby Brown and dumped Gaines. Brown is a two gap 0T NT. The problem with Brown is that he hasn't shown he can consistently shed blocks. That was the problem with Joseph Day. Taking on a block and then shedding it to make a play is a lot harder than simply avoiding the block to begin with. That is why 2 gap 3-4 schemes have fallen out of favor and most play a one gap attacking style, not passive read / react which cedes the advantage to the OL.

So IMO we are in the wait and see time for Morris, is he as good of a coach as he thinks he is. As Merlin pointed out he's been a mediocre coach everywhere he's been so why should that change now. It's a matter of how much longer McVay is going to tolerate it. Let Raheem call the plays but allow Pleasant to design the defense and coach it. That more than anything will make the difference on defense.

Look at who the Rams pick in the draft on defense. That is to say, to they take a slower CB who plays best with the play in front of him or a CB who can turn, run with a WR and mirror him in his route. That will be the key. Kendrick was clearly Morris' pick at CB because that is the kind of DB Kendrick is, i.e. a zone CB. The problem with him however, is his attitude. Troy Hill is a zone CB who struggles in man coverage. A CB with average long speed, i.e. 4.55-4.65 range but with good quickness is a zone CB in the NFL. How do you tell good quickness? His 10 yd split and his 3 cone and shuttle are good indicators. If they nail those tests but have a mediocre 40 time then you are looking at a zone CB in all probability.

So we will soon know how the Rams are approaching the season by who they draft.

Last edited:

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
As one who grew up in Rhode Island... I see that Hoecht went to Brown.

Couple of things... that is a good pedigree going to school there, but making it to an NFL team (and starting) is quite the combination. Good on ya, mate!!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Clearly, we need to replace Morris with a committee of Internet forum experts. That is the only way we’ll get production from Aaron Donald before he retires, and it will definitely allow Hoecht to ascend to All-Pro status.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clearly, we need to replace Morris with a committee of Internet forum experts. That is the only way we’ll get production from Aaron Donald before he retires, and it will definitely allow Hoecht to ascend to All-Pro status.
My problem with your post is you left out DPY…geez (blue font intended)

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Hoecht doesn't pan out as an edge then Avenger can be happy and say I told you so! If Hoecht plays well and helps the team then Avenger can be mad and say who could have known. No matter, Avenger has it all worked out no matter how it turns out with Hoecht.

Me I just root for the underdog UDFA to be a very good edge. I can celebrate his success if he helps the Rams to a great season. If he isn't successful I will celebrate the kid for his effort and the Rams will be in the search in the 2024 draft. But the kid has skills and showed he can play in the NFL last year. He may not be a Pro Bowler but he's not a scrub either.

From his Wiki bio:
Hoecht played for the Brown Bears for four seasons. He was named second-team All-Ivy League as a senior after finishing the season with 42 tackles, nine tackles for a loss, and four sacks.[2] Hoecht finished his collegiate career with 174 tackles, 29.5 tackles for loss, and 16.5 sacks with two forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries in 37 games played.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
If Hoecht doesn't pan out as an edge then Avenger can be happy and say I told you so! If Hoecht plays well and helps the team then Avenger can be mad and say who could have known. No matter, Avenger has it all worked out no matter how it turns out with Hoecht.

Me I just root for the underdog UDFA to be a very good edge. I can celebrate his success if he helps the Rams to a great season. If he isn't successful I will celebrate the kid for his effort and the Rams will be in the search in the 2024 draft. But the kid has skills and showed he can play in the NFL last year. He may not be a Pro Bowler but he's not a scrub either.

From his Wiki bio:
Hoecht played for the Brown Bears for four seasons. He was named second-team All-Ivy League as a senior after finishing the season with 42 tackles, nine tackles for a loss, and four sacks.[2] Hoecht finished his collegiate career with 174 tackles, 29.5 tackles for loss, and 16.5 sacks with two forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries in 37 games played.
Ummm…no. I’ve made no prediction about Hoecht. I believe my exact words were “we’ll see.”

If he becomes a solid edge, don’t worry. We’ll all give you credit for your wonderful foresight.

Now about that apology you owe to Rob Havenstein…

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ummm…no. I’ve made no prediction about Hoecht. I believe my exact words were “we’ll see.”

If he becomes a solid edge, don’t worry. We’ll all give you credit for your wonderful foresight.

Now about that apology you owe to Rob Havenstein…

I’ve seen Ram players year in and year out.Players really standout right away.

Johna Williams & Copeland were in this group. Copeland got resigned & has more snaps than Hoecht has.Watching Earnest Brown the last 2 years is a player I think can come off the ball on the edge from different spots.They both really work hard and with a opening will motivate them even more.

Yeah - Havenstien is an interesting player. He is The Leader & Team Captain.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Hoecht is a promising pass rusher but I was furious last year with his inability to set the edge. He will either show huge improvement in his containment/gap assignments or he will fall down the depth chart.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoecht is a promising pass rusher but I was furious last year with his inability to set the edge. He will either show huge improvement in his containment/gap assignments or he will fall down the depth chart.
Totally agree. And maybe they move him back inside. He's got a good motor and should be in the rotation somewhere.