Michael Brockers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
This is talking scheme fit guys. Wade Phillips plays what is called a hybrid 3-4. Basically what that means is that it uses 3-4 type of dline but aligns them and plays them like a 4-3 scheme. The second DE is a OLB (Fowler) and instead of the usual 3-4 two gap scheme, it is played as a one gap penetrating scheme.

This is not new information for literally anyone on this board, unless they are super new here. And they'd probably have to be mean Rams fans too.

He lacks the speed to get around the edge so he just tries to over power the LT (who usually is the best oline on an offense).

I don't think this is accurate. Can you provide a pic of Brockers looking up next to Donald? Donald lines up in the 3 tech left of the center (from the offense's perspective). It would be exceedingly weird to line up both DE's on one side. I know Donald is listed as a DT (at least that's what I've seen).

He's also been part of the problem on run defense. He needs to be stronger at the POA.

He played with a hurt shoulder last year.

Both he and Brockers essentially play the same position, only on different sides.

Fowler and Brockers do not essentially play the same position. That is ridiculous to the point of deserving actual ridicule. I won't, but that statement deserves it.

Ram65

Legend
It will be interesting to watch Brockers more closely this year. He has done the dirty work up the middle for a long time. As mentioned he seemed to be injured some last year. He also wasn't used to being the 5T DE. He lost weight too which seemed to take away from his normal play ability to anchor. I didn't see much pass rush/push either. He did get some pressures right behind Donald. I expect a quicker stronger version of Micheal Brockers this year. Probably his last year and his best year as a Ram.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Brocker's age is more going to be a factor on a new deal than anything else. He is not an interior rusher, nor a big hog molly run stopper. So his "value", along with his age is going to keep him in the middle of the pack type $$. If some team throws out a mega contract at him, the Rams will for sure let him walk ... but not because they don't like him. Because it doesn't fit the value

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Both he and Brockers essentially play the same position, only on different sides.

They lined up side by side, how is that essentially the same position? Brockers has been a big part of the Rams DL success since he was drafted. He may not rack up stats but he does his job, no matter what is asked of him. Many of the runs that hurt the Rams last season ran right past Suh, who took himself out of the play quite often. As mentioned Brockers played hurt last season, and it wasnt the first time he has done that.

fearsomefour

Legend
They lined up side by side, how is that essentially the same position? Brockers has been a big part of the Rams DL success since he was drafted. He may not rack up stats but he does his job, no matter what is asked of him. Many of the runs that hurt the Rams last season ran right past Suh, who took himself out of the play quite often. As mentioned Brockers played hurt last season, and it wasnt the first time he has done that.
Priority one for the Rams this coming season should be the run D. It was terrible for large parts of the season. One big name is gone. No names are replacing him.
Putting players in their best roles should help.
Having Mathews and Littleton inside some of the time is interesting. Mathews, Littleton and Fowler offer flexibility at LB.
Bottom line there should be enough talent to improve the run D.
Even an average run D should help keep the Rams in double digit wins.
Couple a solid run D with an improved secondary that gives up far fewer long plays over the top and they could be in for another great year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One big name is gone. No names are replacing him.

Suh until the playoffs was not a positive. Gaines and SJD should be an improvement, for a fraction of the price. With the added benefit of being much younger, and likely to improve.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
How big is Brockers now? When drafted, he was listed at 322. I prefer him as an anchor and I think we made him lose too much weight.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brockers is the RDE which lines up to the offensive weakside. Fowler is an OLB who plays the rush LB in the hybrid scheme Wade runs and lines up as the 5 technique on the strong side. They are not side by side.

As a rookie back in 2012 Brockers ran the 40 in shorts at 5.18 which is slow for a DE. So at his age he's probably running closer to a 6 second 40. Most of the better DE's time in the 4.5-4.7 range. Yes he's dropped weight since then but he's pushing 29 and that's when they start to lose that first half step.

Go back and look at his play last year. I can't think of when he was double teamed yet he still couldn't get around LT's. If he couldn't push the LT with simple power he was out of the play. When he was the RDT in a 4-3 his first couple of years he played well, but go back and look at his last 4 years and it's a different story.

All I'm saying is that I don't expect him back, and don't expect more than what he did last year which was less than stellar. That's not much for $10M in cap on a team that is cap strapped. So that is why I'm saying why wait? Make the change before TC to finalize the position.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Quite a few thought Brockers might be a cap casualty this offseason. The Rams showed their commitment to him by letting Suh walk and keeping him. Sounds to me like the team values his presence. I think I'll go with that. If I was smarter than them they woulda hired me by now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Priority one for the Rams this coming season should be the run D. It was terrible for large parts of the season.
Agree.

What I saw thus far from the Rams Org. in 2019 :

#1- Dispersed the Heavy weekly mortgage $$$$ payments for DT Suh services. He was for 3/4's of the 2018 season a average run stopper.

#2- Let longtime veteran reserve, NT Ethan Westbrooks walk into free agency. He had been trending downward in his overall performance for several years. He was not a good run stopper back up @ NT. Probably better suited for a 43 D.

#3- Released another big mortgage payment long time LB'er Mark Barron who was a shell of his former self. What was once a great strength tackling machine became a true weakness in 2018. He could not remain healthy nor had he been able to participate in TC & pre season for the last two years.

#4- Let DT Dom Easley & DE Matt Longacre depart to free agency.

#5- Signed three inside Lb'ers Cory Littleton. Clay Matthews & Bryce Hager .

#6- Procured fresh from college bona fide true NT's .... NT's Greg Gaines, Bryant Jones, Tyrell Thompson.

#7- Procured more fresh new talent 34 D DL'ers ....Marquise Copeland & Boogie Roberts.

#8- Signed DL'er Morgan Fox.

#9- Procured additional young rookie ILB'ers known to be good tackling run stoppers in Dakota Allen, Ketner Kupp, Natrez Patrick & Troy Reeder.

#10- Procured (what most experts agree on) the best tackling & hitting safety in the draft known as Taylor Rapp.
Having Mathews and Littleton inside some of the time is interesting. Mathews, Littleton, and Fowler offer flexibility at LB.
The addition of former all-pro-Matthews brings veteran leadership into a very young cadre of LB'ers look like a solid move.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How big is Brockers now? When drafted, he was listed at 322. I prefer him as an anchor and I think we made him lose too much weight.

Yeah I think there's a lot of truth to him playing too light last season and it giving him probs. He was much better the previous season at 5T for us, and we saw his importance in the playoff game vs the Falcons when he went down and they started runnin the ball non-stop.

IMO the plan is for him to rebound and have a strong season and I see no reason why that won't happen.

Funniest thing here in this conversation: last year we were paying Donald, Suh, and Brock a metric F-ton of money as a unit. This year we already subtracted Suh (and his $14M cap hit or whatever) and replaced him with youth. But I am sure right now the Rams are very aware of Brock's cap value vs his production. This isn't a news flash by any means.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I like Brockers and I think that he’s gonna have a good year, if healthy.

But I also think that this is his last year as a Ram. Pure economics alone will dictate this.

The Rams were forced to let Saffold walk, so you can be sure that they’re willing to lose Brockers, too.

Either a current player must step up or Snead must draft a Brockers replacement next year.

Just the way it is for a loaded team in today’s cap world. Sigh...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just the way it is for a loaded team in today’s cap world. Sigh...

To be fair, the Rams got Bortles, Weddle, and Matthews in similar fashion.

At least if and when Brockers signs elsewhere, the Rams should get a pick, and likely a decent one if it is out of the Rams' price range. I mean, if he were to sign for a bit over a million, the Rams would likely find a way to keep him. So a comp pick is likely.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Brockers is the RDE which lines up to the offensive weakside. Fowler is an OLB who plays the rush LB in the hybrid scheme Wade runs and lines up as the 5 technique on the strong side. They are not side by side.

As a rookie back in 2012 Brockers ran the 40 in shorts at 5.18 which is slow for a DE. So at his age he's probably running closer to a 6 second 40. Most of the better DE's time in the 4.5-4.7 range. Yes he's dropped weight since then but he's pushing 29 and that's when they start to lose that first half step.

Go back and look at his play last year. I can't think of when he was double teamed yet he still couldn't get around LT's. If he couldn't push the LT with simple power he was out of the play. When he was the RDT in a 4-3 his first couple of years he played well, but go back and look at his last 4 years and it's a different story.

All I'm saying is that I don't expect him back, and don't expect more than what he did last year which was less than stellar. That's not much for $10M in cap on a team that is cap strapped. So that is why I'm saying why wait? Make the change before TC to finalize the position.
No. Brockers does not play over the left tackle.

In the pic below Brockers is in his usual spot over by the right year (not that you can see that it's Brockers). Fowler is over the left tackle. Donald is in his normal spot on the outside shoulder of the right guard. There is nowhere for Brockers to be with a linebacker over the left tackle and Donald on the outside shoulder of the left guard.

sbliiirecapramsdpatso_1.jpg

Ebukam is outside the tight end on the left side of the photo. He would provide the possible rush from that side, is the play called for it. T

Brockers is still operating more like a DT than a defensive end.

He doesn't play the same position as Fowler; it's not even close.

He'll never have coverage responsibilities. Fowler might get coverage responsibilities. Y

Finally this:

You're wrong. Get over it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've always been in Brock's corner but it is true he is on that bubble in terms of cost vs production. He does bring leadership too, but the Rams seem to have an emerging 5T in JFM.

Brock needs a strong camp and season. Think he will have those things too but it does bear watching and he is an obvious FA departure post-contract.
JFM has to produce...We have been talking about his possible emergence forever, meanwhile, Brockers continues doing his job while Meyers gets it together.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JFM has to produce...We have been talking about his possible emergence forever, meanwhile, Brockers continues doing his job while Meyers gets it together.

He was drafted in the second half of the draft (barely) last year. Despite entrenched veterans in front of him, he still managed 2 sacks last season and forced a fumble. He's developing fine. I expect him to be stronger this season, after a year of development and training time, and learn even more as the season progresses. He won't be the starter this season, but will be a very capable backup with more sacks and tackles than he had last season. JFM is developing fine - the question is whether he plateaus as just a good player, or becomes a minor star.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was drafted in the second half of the draft (barely) last year. Despite entrenched veterans in front of him, he still managed 2 sacks last season and forced a fumble. He's developing fine. I expect him to be stronger this season, after a year of development and training time, and learn even more as the season progresses. He won't be the starter this season, but will be a very capable backup with more sacks and tackles than he had last season. JFM is developing fine - the question is whether he plateaus as just a good player, or becomes a minor star.
I didn't consider draft position, just enthusiasm of what he might become to such an extent that I am almost tired of hearing about it until he actually rips a starting position from a starter. I'm not hating and i WANT him to do it, jst getting tired of eating rainbows..not very filling.;)