Method to Calculate Pass Interference Penalties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Does anyone else think that the method the NFL currently uses for PI yardage makes sense? Yes, it's kinda fun to get random 50 yard penalties, but it's also illogical. Many games are won and loss by these calls, which hurts the integrity of the game.

Nobody knows if the pass would be completed, so how can they justify giving so many yards for a foul? I have an idea that makes more sense.

They already have enough stats to instantly calculate the probability of completing a pass on any part of the field. So, they can use this data to determine the correct yardage to give the team when the experience a PI.

For example, if the pass is 20 yards and the probability to complete the pass is 50%, then give them 10 yards. It seems pretty obvious and simple to me.

What do you guys think?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think its 4 am and I was tired of talking PI calls yesterday.

The Rams are going to the motherfucking super bowl and they deserve it. That's what I am thinking.

No offense to the op.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then there would be no deterrent to keep defenders from just trucking receivers on deep passes. So it would happen on every play. As a former defensive back, do you know what I’d like to see? More guys reading the receiver’s eyes and TURNING THEIR HEAD AROUND TO SPOT THE BALL.

You know, for starters.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, it has to be a spot foul or there's incentive to create a foul early.

Heck, we still see it where a guy knows he's going to get beat deep, so he grabs on, knowing that the spot foul early beats the snot out of a deep PI or a TD.

when it was a 15 yard penalty, WRs would get crushed on deep balls.

it's part of why the Raiders of the 60s were considered such bad boys. To throw deep like that with the rules in place was more than a little crazy.