MemphisRams Rams Mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
MemphisRams 2.0 Mock Draft (w/ one trade)

**********PRE-DRAFT TRADE**********
The Rams trade RT Rob Havenstein to the New York Giants for their 5th round selection (5-150).

COMMENTS:
This Havenstein trade provides the team with $5.4 million in salary cap relief.

2.52 - Chase Claypool, WR/TE, Notre Dame, 6042, 238

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGEqLwp3I5E

This big athletic freak with his 4.42/40 and 40.5 vertical jump can be a serious match-up problem for opposing defenses in the passing game, while his blocking skills could vastly improve the running game. And to top it off, he's a top notch gunner on special teams.

2.57 Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU, 5072,207

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNDweLoBOOM

Sure, Gurley was bigger, stronger, and faster, but IMO this kid has better lateral agility, vision, and quickness. Also while both are good receivers out of the backfield, this kid runs routes like Kamara. Anoter matchup problem for opposing defenses. Henderson, Edwards-Helaire, & Brown gives the team a strong backfield committe.

3-84 - Bradlee Anae, EDGE, 6033,257

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2Z4dTWmxI

I read somewhere that Staley's outside linebackers have to be able to set the edge vs. TEs and "dominate" the the edge in the run game. Anae has the size and heart to do so and is a good pass rusher to boot. Hopefully, NFL teams overthink and let his 4.91/40 keep him on the board this long.

3-104 - Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming, 6021, 241

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6bjubnL1y8&feature=emb_logo

From what I've read, Staley looks for instinctive players who are "great processors" and "outstanding tacklers" with the ability to communicate and lead effectively at ILB. While he sorta reminds me of James Laurinatis, that seems to describe this Wyoming product.

4-126 Keith Ismael, C/G, San Diego State 6027,309

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpLdLf6WY8E&feature=emb_logo

Ismael more than held his own at Senior Bowl practices, played in a pro style offense that emphasized the running game in college and even has experience playing at both guard spots. I don't know if he ever hit his 30-30-30 goal (Scoring all 30s or Wonderlic, Vertical Jump, and Bench Press), but he sounds like a good fit, IMO.

5-150 - Blake Brandel, OT, Oregon State 6063, 308 (proposed NYG trade)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAR4eh0aC9I

Here Havenstein is dealt for someone cheaper who at least has to potential to play LT. 42 Consecutive starts (39 at LT) for the Beavers. May have been the best OLineman at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Rams will have to see if his athletic ability is enough to get by at LT with 33 1/4 inch arms, but I read somewhere that pro football focus rated him high as a pass blocker.

6-199 - Parnell Motley, CB, Oklahoma 6000, 183

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToVLe35hYFg

Motley ran a 4.5/40 at the Oklahoma Pro Day and spoke to the Rams. After a rocky first few seasons, I read somewhere that he may have been Oklahoma's best defender last year as he allowed only a 43.4% completion percentage against 53 targets following the opposing team's top WRs.

7-235 - Charlie Taumoepeau, H-Back/FB, 6022, 240 Portland State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WqNeLGpCkI

Receiving TE who impressed the NFL.COM's Lance Zierlein, "with his attitude and consistency of effort as a run blocker." Perhaps, this kid could be the Rams version of Kyle Juszczyk (49ers) while helping this team improve it's rushing attack.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like it but we need to add a safety. For sub-packages, depth and a future replacement if JJ leaves.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very interesting player selections. I'm a fan of Claypool and adding those first two picks to the O are interesting to say the least. As you said Ismael had a great Senior Bowl and we know McVay/Snead like guys who have good weeks there. I honestly don't know much about him other than that but he's somebody that's quietly been talked about as a day 2 center with upside. I could live with this I think :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Claypool is an interesting addition. I'm conflicted. On one hand, I think he needs to play TE. Bulk him up to 245 to 250, work with him on blocking, and you have something. On the other hand, I think he lacks the movement skills to separate as a WR. He's very mechanical in his movements imo. The struggle I have with him as a TE is Cooper Kupp. Are we going to move Cooper Kupp outside to accommodate Claypool? I think Claypool can be a huge mismatch. I just question where he would fit here and if it would conflict with what Kupp does.

Edwards-Helaire is a very talented player. I have one big issue with him. He is a poor blocker. Pass protection is hugely important to me, and the feeling I got watching him is that his issues were more due to willingness than anything else. Super talent as a receiving HB. Quality runner. But if he can't pass protect, that's a big problem.

I'm personally not a fan of Anae. I don't think he has the juice for the NFL. But I understand many disagree. Wilson is a solid ILB. It's a good pick. Ismael fits well. Solid kid. I watched Blake Brandel after PFF drooled over the kid. I don't think he has the physical talent to do the job in the NFL.

I'd also be very disappointed in the Havenstein trade. I think that's poor value and would rather not sell low on him at that price. Interesting take on things. Not my cup of tea. But I respect the work.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I tend to agree that we will go RB and WR in round 2 - if we stay put (or trade up) - as there is starting talent at both positions

Do we need Claypool with Everett and Higbee on the roster? There are only so many touches to go around. I would prefer Denzel Mims as he has been and to my mind, will be dominant on the outside. That would provide plenty of space for our other skill players to prosper. That said we would need to trade up to the top of round 2

I like CEH, a lot . He would excel in our scheme. If Dobbins comes off the board then I would be ecstatic if we drafted a talent like CEH

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Claypool is an interesting addition. I'm conflicted. On one hand, I think he needs to play TE. Bulk him up to 245 to 250, work with him on blocking, and you have something. On the other hand, I think he lacks the movement skills to separate as a WR. He's very mechanical in his movements imo.
Chase can get downfield and can snag the 50/50 ball. Seems more of a mismatch against CB than LB. Didnt get to show off his deep ball skills so much with a QB that has a pop gun arm.
I dont think he has the makeup for TE at all, his blocking may be special for a WR, not sure how it lines up against LB's

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@jrry32

The draftnik views I read about Claypool moving to TE or H-Back sound awfully similar to what was said about Vincent Jackson years ago. I think he can pull it off and may turn out to actually be a #1 WR in the NFL. If not, then they can make a slot TE/H-Back out of him.
What then of Everret & Kupp? If I'm not mistaken, they are on the final year of their contacts and Claypool could prove to be a much cheaper alternative.

Kupp's contract negotiation should be interesting. I'd hope the Rams wouldn't pay a slot WR in Kupp #1 WR money next year.

@TheTackle

I'm not sure that Claypool makes it to the Rams selection at #52, but I like his chances more than Mims making it there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chase can get downfield and can snag the 50/50 ball. Seems more of a mismatch against CB than LB. Didnt get to show off his deep ball skills so much with a QB that has a pop gun arm.
I dont think he has the makeup for TE at all, his blocking may be special for a WR, not sure how it lines up against LB's

I don't think he's good enough at winning in the air to rely on that at the NFL. Kid's movement skills and speed would be a serious mismatch at TE, and he has the body to handle the position. Think it'll a tougher go at WR. Has the physical tools to make a run at it, but he could be a monster TE. Like Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez good if he develops. Look at what the Raiders did with Darren Waller last year. Claypool is a rich man's version of Waller.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32

The draftnik views I read about Claypool moving to TE or H-Back sound awfully similar to what was said about Vincent Jackson years ago. I think he can pull it off and may turn out to actually be a #1 WR in the NFL. If not, then they can make a slot TE/H-Back out of him.
What then of Everret & Kupp? If I'm not mistaken, they are on the final year of their contacts and Claypool could prove to be a much cheaper alternative.

Kupp's contract negotiation should be interesting. I'd hope the Rams wouldn't pay a slot WR in Kupp #1 WR money next year.

@TheTackle

I'm not sure that Claypool makes it to the Rams selection at #52, but I like his chances more than Mims making it there.

I wouldn't let Kupp go. We'll regret it if we do. I don't expect him to get high-end #1 WR money, though. On Claypool and V-Jax, I can see the comparison. But I think V-Jax was better in the air. Of course, he took some time to develop. But they have similarities in the skill-set. The thing about V-Jax was that SD's scheme didn't make him run too diverse of a route tree. It allowed him to stay outside the numbers and mainly focus on vertical routes and routes that play off the vertical push.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wouldn't let Kupp go. We'll regret it if we do. I don't expect him to get high-end #1 WR money, though. On Claypool and V-Jax, I can see the comparison. But I think V-Jax was better in the air. Of course, he took some time to develop. But they have similarities in the skill-set. The thing about V-Jax was that SD's scheme didn't make him run too diverse of a route tree. It allowed him to stay outside the numbers and mainly focus on vertical routes and routes that play off the vertical push.

If the Rams do shift to playing a lot of 12 personnel, then using Claypool the same way Jackson was used makes an awful lot of sense to me. AND how much to you pay a slot WR (no matter how good) in that case? I just don't know.

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm not so sure a cheaper Van Jefferson draftee as a potential replacement would set this team back at all. Especially, if they increase the use of 12 personnel.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams do shift to playing a lot of 12 personnel, then using Claypool the same way Jackson was used makes an awful lot of sense to me. AND how much to you pay a slot WR (no matter how good) in that case? I just don't know.

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm not so sure a cheaper Van Jefferson draftee as a potential replacement would set this team back at all. Especially, if they increase the use of 12 personnel.

Kupp has been Goff's favorite target since day one - it doesn't make much sense to extend Goff and then let his favorite target leave.

And I think your notion of slot WR versus the ever-elusive/fictional term of "number one WR" is antiquated. Kupp's numbers rivaled that of Deandre Hopkins last season. The season before they would have been up there too if not for injury. He is a "number on WR" by any definition I can think of.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Van Jefferson isn't cup. I watched him closely at Florida. He'll be a solid player, but he's more the caliber of player of Brian Hartline than Kupp. I'm not on board with any plan that lets Kupp go. He's ascending and Goff's favorite target. We'll regret it if we let him leave.

As for 12 personnel, I think Claypool and Higbee at TE with Kupp and Woods at WR creates more mismatches in the passing game and still has a ton of blocking ability in the running game (assuming Claypool progresses, because Kupp and Woods are phenomenal). But that's JMO.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think we should attempt to resign/Extend Josh Reynolds for two reasons

A) He knows the system and is perfect blocker in the 12 personal packages (was used in this package last year)

B) Do to low production I figure the price point "should" be cheaper than outside sourcing a new WR, and I want to keep 5 good WRs assuming we will be adding 1 in the draft. Rookie WRs normally take time to get up to NFL speed.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Kupp has been Goff's favorite target since day one - it doesn't make much sense to extend Goff and then let his favorite target leave.

And I think your notion of slot WR versus the ever-elusive/fictional term of "number one WR" is antiquated. Kupp's numbers rivaled that of Deandre Hopkins last season. The season before they would have been up there too if not for injury. He is a "number on WR" by any definition I can think of.

This has nothing to do with whether he's considered a #1 WR or not.

If the teams really plans to use more 12 personnel and considers him to be a slot WR (no matter how great) he's not going to be on the field as often. Should they pay market value for his services and/or make no changes just to keep Goff happy? I'd hope not. Goff would simply have to transition to someone else. And that might have started towards the end of last year with Higbee.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Van Jefferson isn't cup. I watched him closely at Florida. He'll be a solid player, but he's more the caliber of player of Brian Hartline than Kupp. I'm not on board with any plan that lets Kupp go. He's ascending and Goff's favorite target. We'll regret it if we let him leave.

As for 12 personnel, I think Claypool and Higbee at TE with Kupp and Woods at WR creates more mismatches in the passing game and still has a ton of blocking ability in the running game (assuming Claypool progresses, because Kupp and Woods are phenomenal). But that's JMO.

I'm not saying that Jefferson is Kupp or vice versa. The point is that he wouldn't really have to be Kupp for the team to still have success. And with a cheaper option to boot.

IMO, 12 personnel with Everett and Higbee at TE with Woods on one side and Claypool being used ala Vincent Jackson on the other side (both capable of challenging defenses vertically) would create even more match-up issues in the passing game AND the running game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying that Jefferson is Kupp or vice versa. The point is that he wouldn't really have to be Kupp for the team to still have success. And with a cheaper option to boot.

I mean, yeah, you can feasibly let anybody walk, replace them with a lesser option, and still have success. But I'm not sure why we would. There are players you let go and players you don't. Kupp is in the latter category for me, as long as his demands are reasonable. He's a great receiver, but importantly, he's also a great blocker.

IMO, 12 personnel with Everett and Higbee at TE with Woods on one side and Claypool being used ala Vincent Jackson on the other side (both capable of challenging defenses vertically) would create even more match-up issues in the passing game AND the running game.

Everett is a FA at the end of the season. I don't really see Claypool being a net positive when compared to the other WRs in front of him as a rookie. But we'll see.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I mean, yeah, you can feasibly let anybody walk, replace them with a lesser option, and still have success. But I'm not sure why we would. There are players you let go and players you don't. Kupp is in the latter category for me, as long as his demands are reasonable. He's a great receiver, but importantly, he's also a great blocker.

Everett is a FA at the end of the season. I don't really see Claypool being a net positive when compared to the other WRs in front of him as a rookie. But we'll see.

That's the key. How much is reasonable for a slot WR if the team shifts to using a lot of 12 personnel?

Yeah, I mentioned Everett becoming a free agent earlier. Everything will hinge on how these guys perform in 2020, but I have my doubts his market value will be close to Kupp's. Time will tell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the key. How much is reasonable for a slot WR if the team shifts to using a lot of 12 personnel?

Yeah, I mentioned Everett becoming a free agent earlier. Everything will hinge on how these guys perform in 2020, but I have my doubts his market value will be close to Kupp's. Time will tell.

Barring him breaking out for a monster year, his market value shouldn't be close to Kupp. I expect McVay is either planning to use Kupp in 12 personnel or isn't making a heavy shift to 12 personnel. It doesn't make sense to trade Cooks and then keep your best WR on the sidelines.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Barring him breaking out for a monster year, his market value shouldn't be close to Kupp. I expect McVay is either planning to use Kupp in 12 personnel or isn't making a heavy shift to 12 personnel. It doesn't make sense to trade Cooks and then keep your best WR on the sidelines.

No it wouldn't. That said, I believe that Woods is the best WR on the team. Not Kupp.