Memento's Snowing in March (wtf?!) Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, the weather outside is awful. Anyway, here's the mock:

Cut:

Mark Barron

(Barron is obvious.)

Re-sign:

Cory Littleton (four years)
Ethan Westbrooks (one year)
Sam Shields (one year)
Malcolm Brown - RFA
Kevin Peterson - ERFA
Blake Countess - RFA
Morgan Fox - RFA
JoJo Natson - ERFA
Dominique Hatfield - ERFA
KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA

(I'd gladly give Littleton an extension, as I think he's going to blow up next year. Westbrooks and Shields are cheap depth, whom I mistakenly neglected to include in my last mock. Brown is another addition who should help with depth behind running back. Fox deserves a chance to compete for an outside linebacker/defensive end slot. Peterson deserves a chance to compete for a spot as well. I'm not a fan of Countess as a starter, but he's cheap depth, so he stays. Hatfield should never see the starting field, but he's a good special teams player, so he stays. Natson and Hodge are key special teams players. They stay.

Release:

Rodger Saffold
Ndamukong Suh
Dante Fowler
Lamarcus Joyner
C.J. Anderson
Dominique Easley
Matt Longacre
Troy Hill
Bryce Hager
Ramik Wilson
Sean Mannion
Garrett Sickels

(I'd love to keep Saffold, but he'll cost too much. Suh and Joyner ask for too much for what they're being paid. I'd love to keep Anderson, but it's not feasible with Gurley and Brown in the backfield. Fowler asks for too much and we look elsewhere. I'm not sure if Hill is an UFA or not, but he's replaceable. Easley is injury prone, Longacre is ineffective, Hager and Wilson are replaceable, Mannion isn't the answer for backup quarterback, and Sickels is practice squad material at best.)

Free Agents:

Justin Houston (three years)

(My biggest splurge of the offseason. Houston is a legitimate pass-rushing demon off the edge who also excels in run-stopping. Would I love to bring him in to not only mentor Ebukam, Okoronkwo, and Fox, but to also bring fear to a defense? You bet!)

Kwon Alexander (four years)

(I think that Alexander might cost less than one would think, as he has an ACL injury and suspension history. When on the field, though, he's one of the most talented inside linebackers there is. And I think that he'd be a huge fit in Wade's system next to Littleton. And did I mention that Alexander is only twenty-five years old?)

Luis Perez (three years)

(Yeah, I like Perez as a backup.)

Ryan Groy (two years)

(Groy provides solid depth on the interior, and can possibly start in a pinch.)

Trades:

Marcus Peters and 2020 fourth to the Indianapolis Colts for #34 overall.

(Indy desperately needs a cornerback in their secondary. We happen to have Marcus Peters. Trade makes sense.)

Josh Reynolds to the Buffalo Bills for #74 overall pick.

(Call me crazy? Perhaps. Still, the Bills have nothing at receiver. They also have nothing at offensive line, and they'll probably use draft picks on both. But Reynolds will be attractive to Buffalo because he's a veteran receiver for Josh Allen to trust.)

2019 first round pick (#31 overall) to the Jacksonville Jaguars for #38 overall and #98 overall.

(Stealing from Jrry's mock because it makes all kinds of sense.)

Draft:

#34 overall - Dexter Lawrence, NT, Clemson.

(Lawrence is a steal at this point, but with the injury he suffered while running his forty, the suspension for PEDs, and his being considered a two-down player, we get him here. Lawrence has the potential to flat-out change a game when he's on. He's a dancing bear; men his size should not be that athletic.)

#38 overall - Taylor Rapp, SS, Washington.

(Rapp is just a solid safety in every aspect. I love his reliability and tone-setting hitting. And he doesn't just go for the kill-shot in hitting; he's arguably the most consistent tackler in this class. He has the ability to blitz, play man coverage against tight ends, and sniff out the run with his top-of-the-scale instincts and football IQ.)

#74 overall - Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State.

(Oruwariye is a tall press-man corner who would instantly start for us. He's not a burner, but he's fast enough and technical enough to succeed despite physical limitations.)

#94 overall - Tytus Howard, OL, Alabama State.

(Howard is a sleeper prospect. He's very quietly worked his way into becoming a mid-round prospect. He's an incredibly-gifted athlete who can be molded by Kromer before starting, but I think he could be a hell of a guard.

#98 overall - Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State.

(Layne is a former receiver and still learning the nuances of the job at cornerback. He's 6'3" with long arms and excellent ball skills. He's also surprisingly sturdy against the run and will stick his nose into the fray. He can back up Sam Shields until he's ready.)

#99 overall - Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego State.

(Watch that Nevada tape throughout, and you'll see a top-notch receiver. Jrry made me notice him, and after watching film, he's on the top of my list for tight ends. Warring is a great blocker; he has to be because of the offense that SDSU runs. But he's simply so smooth as a route runner and knows how to high-point the ball. I want him in horns.)

#133 overall - Carl Granderson, OLB, Wyoming.

(Granderson is a dynamic pass rusher who struggles mightily against the run. He didn't produce huge numbers, but that was because he was oftentimes doubled and chipped and everything you can think of. With the ability to learn under Wade, I think that he could be a solid rotational player.)

#169 overall - Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State.

(Butler is a 6'5", 227 lbs. target who breaks tackles and just ran a 4.48 at the Combine. Why is he all the way down here, then? Drops. Not-so-good route running. Lacks short-area quickness. But I think that he could be an excellent replacement for Reynolds, all the same. He's such a gifted physical specimen that I think that playing with our receivers should do nothing but help him.)

#203 overall - Bryce Love, RB, Stanford.

(Love went from Heisman contender to afterthought after his senior year. He's certainly not a bellcow, he's likely not going to be a starting running back, but he's one of the most explosive players in this draft, he's a great third down option with his hands, and getting him here would be a steal.)

251 overall - Sione Takitaki, ILB, BYU.

(Takitaki is flying under the radar because of his off-the-field issues (has been suspended multiple times), but he plays like his hair is on fire. He showed well against Wisconsin, playing good coverage and making several key tackles. He started out as a defensive end, but moved to linebacker and put up monster stats. Also, those off-the-field issues seem to be a thing of the past, as he's married and earned the team captaincy. Overall, I'd love to see this kid in blue-and-gold.)

Roster:

QB - Jared Goff
RB - Todd Gurley
WR - Brandin Cooks
WR - Robert Woods
WR - Cooper Kupp
TE - Gerald Everett/Tyler Higbee
LT - Andrew Whitworth
LG - Joseph Noteboom
C - John Sullivan/Brian Allen (later in the season)
RG - Austin Blythe
RT - Rob Havenstein

DE - Aaron Donald
NT - Dexter Lawrence
DE - Michael Brockers
OLB - Justin Houston
ILB - Cory Littleton
ILB - Kwon Alexander
OLB - Samson Ebukam
CB - Aqib Talib
CB - Amani Oruwariye
CB - Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS - John Johnson III
SS - Taylor Rapp

K - Greg Zuerlein
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Thats pretty good Memento. My one question mark, (and you mention it also) is Hakeem Butler. I don't see him dropping that far. Gee, after the combine he had, he could go in the 1st. For the record, I tend to agree with you in that he should go later in the draft, somewhere in the 3rd perhaps but a lot of teams will get mesmerised by his size and speed. Same thing is going to happen to Metcalf. Great physical specimen but can't run a route to save his life. Still love the Houston and Alexander pickups.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always love reading your work.
I don’t think Reynolds would get anything back in a trade maybe a 5th at best.
And as much as I look forward to Mannion being upgraded, Luis Perez Is certainly not going to be the upgrade. He might make the practice squad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the trades are that realistic (but we've had that convo before). I like some of the players. I will say that I'm not one of the posters pushing Dexter Lawrence with our top pick.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Yeah, the weather outside is awful. Anyway, here's the mock:

Cut:

Mark Barron

(Barron is obvious.)

Re-sign:

Cory Littleton (four years)
Ethan Westbrooks (one year)
Sam Shields (one year)
Malcolm Brown - RFA
Kevin Peterson - ERFA
Blake Countess - RFA
Morgan Fox - RFA
JoJo Natson - ERFA
Dominique Hatfield - ERFA
KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA

(I'd gladly give Littleton an extension, as I think he's going to blow up next year. Westbrooks and Shields are cheap depth, whom I mistakenly neglected to include in my last mock. Brown is another addition who should help with depth behind running back. Fox deserves a chance to compete for an outside linebacker/defensive end slot. Peterson deserves a chance to compete for a spot as well. I'm not a fan of Countess as a starter, but he's cheap depth, so he stays. Hatfield should never see the starting field, but he's a good special teams player, so he stays. Natson and Hodge are key special teams players. They stay.

Release:

Rodger Saffold
Ndamukong Suh
Dante Fowler
Lamarcus Joyner
C.J. Anderson
Dominique Easley
Matt Longacre
Troy Hill
Bryce Hager
Ramik Wilson
Sean Mannion
Garrett Sickels

(I'd love to keep Saffold, but he'll cost too much. Suh and Joyner ask for too much for what they're being paid. I'd love to keep Anderson, but it's not feasible with Gurley and Brown in the backfield. Fowler asks for too much and we look elsewhere. I'm not sure if Hill is an UFA or not, but he's replaceable. Easley is injury prone, Longacre is ineffective, Hager and Wilson are replaceable, Mannion isn't the answer for backup quarterback, and Sickels is practice squad material at best.)

Free Agents:

(My biggest splurge of the offseason. Houston is a legitimate pass-rushing demon off the edge who also excels in run-stopping. Would I love to bring him in to not only mentor Ebukam, Okoronkwo, and Fox, but to also bring fear to a defense? You bet!)

(I think that Alexander might cost less than one would think, as he has an ACL injury and suspension history. When on the field, though, he's one of the most talented inside linebackers there is. And I think that he'd be a huge fit in Wade's system next to Littleton. And did I mention that Alexander is only twenty-five years old?)

Luis Perez (three years)

Ryan Groy (two years)

Trades:

Marcus Peters and 2020 fourth to the Indianapolis Colts for #34 overall.

(Indy desperately needs a cornerback in their secondary. We happen to have Marcus Peters. Trade makes sense.)

Josh Reynolds to the Buffalo Bills for #74 overall pick.

(Call me crazy? Perhaps. Still, the Bills have nothing at receiver. They also have nothing at offensive line, and they'll probably use draft picks on both. But Reynolds will be attractive to Buffalo because he's a veteran receiver for Josh Allen to trust.)

2019 first round pick (#31 overall) to the Jacksonville Jaguars for #38 overall and #98 overall.

(Stealing from Jrry's mock because it makes all kinds of sense.)

Draft:

#34 overall - Dexter Lawrence, NT, Clemson.

(Lawrence is a steal at this point, but with the injury he suffered while running his forty, the suspension for PEDs, and his being considered a two-down player, we get him here. Lawrence has the potential to flat-out change a game when he's on. He's a dancing bear; men his size should not be that athletic.)

#38 overall - Taylor Rapp, SS, Washington.

(Rapp is just a solid safety in every aspect. I love his reliability and tone-setting hitting. And he doesn't just go for the kill-shot in hitting; he's arguably the most consistent tackler in this class. He has the ability to blitz, play man coverage against tight ends, and sniff out the run with his top-of-the-scale instincts and football IQ.)

#74 overall - Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State.

(Oruwariye is a tall press-man corner who would instantly start for us. He's not a burner, but he's fast enough and technical enough to succeed despite physical limitations.)

#94 overall - Tytus Howard, OL, Alabama State.

(Howard is a sleeper prospect. He's very quietly worked his way into becoming a mid-round prospect. He's an incredibly-gifted athlete who can be molded by Kromer before starting, but I think he could be a hell of a guard.

#98 overall - Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State.

(Layne is a former receiver and still learning the nuances of the job at cornerback. He's 6'3" with long arms and excellent ball skills. He's also surprisingly sturdy against the run and will stick his nose into the fray. He can back up Sam Shields until he's ready.)

#99 overall - Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego State.

(Watch that Nevada tape throughout, and you'll see a top-notch receiver. Jrry made me notice him, and after watching film, he's on the top of my list for tight ends. Warring is a great blocker; he has to be because of the offense that SDSU runs. But he's simply so smooth as a route runner and knows how to high-point the ball. I want him in horns.)

#133 overall - Carl Granderson, OLB, Wyoming.

(Granderson is a dynamic pass rusher who struggles mightily against the run. He didn't produce huge numbers, but that was because he was oftentimes doubled and chipped and everything you can think of. With the ability to learn under Wade, I think that he could be a solid rotational player.)

#169 overall - Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State.

(Butler is a 6'5", 227 lbs. target who breaks tackles and just ran a 4.48 at the Combine. Why is he all the way down here, then? Drops. Not-so-good route running. Lacks short-area quickness. But I think that he could be an excellent replacement for Reynolds, all the same. He's such a gifted physical specimen that I think that playing with our receivers should do nothing but help him.)

#203 overall - Bryce Love, RB, Stanford.

(Love went from Heisman contender to afterthought after his senior year. He's certainly not a bellcow, he's likely not going to be a starting running back, but he's one of the most explosive players in this draft, he's a great third down option with his hands, and getting him here would be a steal.)

251 overall - Sione Takitaki, ILB, BYU.

(Takitaki is flying under the radar because of his off-the-field issues (has been suspended multiple times), but he plays like his hair is on fire. He showed well against Wisconsin, playing good coverage and making several key tackles. He started out as a defensive end, but moved to linebacker and put up monster stats. Also, those off-the-field issues seem to be a thing of the past, as he's married and earned the team captaincy. Overall, I'd love to see this kid in blue-and-gold.)

Roster:

QB - Jared Goff
RB - Todd Gurley
WR - Brandin Cooks
WR - Robert Woods
WR - Cooper Kupp
TE - Gerald Everett/Tyler Higbee
LT - Andrew Whitworth
LG - Joseph Noteboom
C - John Sullivan/Brian Allen (later in the season)
RG - Austin Blythe
RT - Rob Havenstein

DE - Aaron Donald
NT - Dexter Lawrence
DE - Michael Brockers
OLB - Justin Houston
ILB - Cory Littleton
ILB - Kwon Alexander
OLB - Samson Ebukam
CB - Aqib Talib
CB - Amani Oruwariye
CB - Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS - John Johnson III
SS - Taylor Rapp

K - Greg Zuerlein
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide

As Jerry stated, I don't think these trades are realistic. There is no way that Reynolds brings back the #74 pick. As Dieter said, I could see maybe a 5th, and at that point I wouldn't trade him. You aren't going to be able to replace his production with a 5th round pick. I like Kwon Alexander, but his injury history scares me. Justin Houston is a great player, but a $20 million cap hit the next 2 seasons is steep, and he has had some injuries as well. I know I am one of the only people on the board that feels this way, but Preston Smith for $10 million a year is way more attractive to me than Houston at 20 million. I don't have enough CFB knowledge to comment on your draft choices, but I am not a fan of Dexter Lawrence. I do like Justin Layne though.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like the draft.

Letting Hager, Hill and Wilson all go makes zero sense. You develop depth by giving them playing time which all of these guys got last year and letting them get to know your system. Letting them go makes even less sense when you factor in getting rid of Peters and the Rams already cutting Barron.

Trading Peters also doesn't make much sense. A team like the Colts probably isn't even interested in that trade because they are building a young team. If he was under contract beyond this year it might make more sense - but why would the Colts trade what amounts to almost a first round pick for a one year rental? Why would the Rams trade a guy who was amazing when on the field with Talib last year? If it's about the money, Brockers is the guy to trade. He performed worse than Peters last year and saves more money.

How is our backup QB position set going from Mannion to Perez?

Really liked the draft though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As Jerry stated, I don't think these trades are realistic. There is no way that Reynolds brings back the #74 pick. As Dieter said, I could see maybe a 5th, and at that point I wouldn't trade him. You aren't going to be able to replace his production with a 5th round pick. I like Kwon Alexander, but his injury history scares me. Justin Houston is a great player, but a $20 million cap hit the next 2 seasons is steep, and he has had some injuries as well. I know I am one of the only people on the board that feels this way, but Preston Smith for $10 million a year is way more attractive to me than Houston at 20 million. I don't have enough CFB knowledge to comment on your draft choices, but I am not a fan of Dexter Lawrence. I do like Justin Layne though.

To be fair, if we signed Houston in FA after getting cut, he wouldn't carry a $20 million per year cap hit.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, if we signed Houston in FA after getting cut, he wouldn't carry a $20 million per year cap hit.

Same for if we traded for him I think (at least that's what I saw from a Chiefs fan) - makes trading for him enticing. It would be $14 million I believe.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the trades are that realistic (but we've had that convo before). I like some of the players. I will say that I'm not one of the posters pushing Dexter Lawrence with our top pick.

Why don't you like Lawrence at 31?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same for if we traded for him I think (at least that's what I saw from a Chiefs fan) - makes trading for him enticing. It would be $14 million I believe.

$15.5 million. Agreed that a trade is enticing.

Why don't you like Lawrence at 31?

I think he's a very risky pick. When you watch Lawrence, once out of every three or four plays, he looks utterly dominant. He's so dominant that essentially nobody can stop him one on one, and he can even bull through double teams. But the rest of the time, he's invisible and disappointing. I don't mean invisible as in eating blocks and clogging gaps. I mean invisible as in getting sealed or driven out of his gap by a single OL.

What I see when I watch Lawrence is a man with freakish power (especially in the upper body) and the football version of prime Mike Tyson's punching power. He also has impressive burst off the ball for a man his size. However, he negates those attributes by failing to maintain pad level, using his hands poorly, and having no real diversity to his game as a pass rusher. His poor pad level often results in him being too easy to handle in the run game. His disappointing hand usage leads to him getting stonewalled after landing a thunderous punch (because he attacks the full man instead of the half man). And his lack of diversity leads to a lot of reps as a pass rusher where he's not doing much of anything.

I would be more gung ho with Lawrence if he didn't play at a school like Clemson. With the coaches they have there, he should be more developed right now. When you pick Lawrence, you're essentially hoping that you can polish his game so that those dominant plays become the norm instead of the exception. I don't blame anyone for wanting to take that risk. I won't be upset if the Rams choose to take that risk. You could end up with one of the best defensive players in the NFL if things work out for you. But I, personally, don't want to take that risk. Because if he doesn't develop like you hope, you end up with a guy who will be a nothing special player.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I love K.Alexander but he's too small and much better suited outside in a 4-3. I think he'd either get swallowed or continually dinged trying to make plays inside.

He will be a bargain playmaker for someone though.

Ram65

Legend

Luis Perez (three years)

Ryan Groy (two years)

Like three out of four. Not sure about Perez taking the 2 spot just yet.

Rams need a Houston!

Alexander is interesting even if he is small. He can play the run and cover as well as blitz some. He is listed at 6 1 227LBs which is small but, he could be 230-235 Lbs. Even though he is not a big Lber the fact he can make tackles and cover from reports I read. He ran a 4.55 at the combine. It's hard to find the cover LBer that can play the run.

Rapp looks good from the video.

Trades not so much.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Luis Perez (three years)

Yeah, you might wanna walk that one back. Lol.
Perez has been awful and isn’t even going to be starting anymore.
In AAF....
Maybe we revisit Garrett Gilbert instead