Memento's No Trades 2019 Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know you all love my trades, but you'll just have to do without them this time. :p ;) Well, here it goes:

Re-sign

Cory Littleton (four years)
Rodger Saffold (two years)
Kevin Peterson - ERFA
Blake Countess - RFA
Morgan Fox - RFA
JoJo Natson - ERFA
Dominique Hatfield - ERFA
KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA

(No real surprises here.)

Release

Ndamukong Suh
Dante Fowler
Lamarcus Joyner
C.J. Anderson
Malcolm Brown
Dominique Easley
Matt Longacre
Ethan Westbrooks
Sam Shields
Bryce Hager
Ramik Wilson
Sean Mannion
Troy Hill
Garrett Sickels

(Anderson is a guy I hate to lose, but he'll be looking - and probably will get - a starting job next year. Fowler is another guy I hate to lose, but he might cost too much money. Suh and Joyner make too much money for what they've provided. Easley has injury issues, Longacre has been ineffective, and Westbrooks might look for a starting job. Shields is old for a cornerback, Hager and Wilson are nothing special and should be replaced. Mannion isn't the answer at backup quarterback. Sickels is an ERFA, but has been injured and on the practice squad the last few years. Hill is gone as I can't tell whether or not he's unrestricted or not. Malcolm Brown should start on another team.)

Release

Mark Barron
Michael Brockers

(I really hate to release Brockers, but you need to make hard sacrifices with money where this team is going, so he's gone. Barron is obvious.)

Free Agents:

Kwon Alexander

(I think that Alexander might cost less than one would think, as he has an injury and suspension history. When on the field, though, he's one of the most talented inside linebackers there is. And I think that he'd be a huge fit in Wade's system next to Littleton behind Shelton. And did I mention that Alexander is only twenty-five years old?)

Ryan Groy

(Here's depth for the O-line.)

Draft

1st round - Jeffery Simmons, NT, Mississippi State.

(Just learned that he tore his ACL and changed the mock because of it. When healthy and on the field, Simmons is one of the most dominant D-linemen in this class. We all know that he hit a woman in high school, but seeing as he's owned up to it, I'll give him a pass, just this once.)

3rd round - Juan Thornhill, FS, Virginia.

(Thornhill is smart and has excellent ball skills. He's a hell of a tackler as well, even though he isn't a thumper. Would be a nice fit on the other side of JJ3.

3rd round - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple.

(Ya-Sin is a physical man-cover corner. Problem with him is that he's not physical as a tackler. Still, could learn a lot from Talib and the rest.)

4th round - Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon.

(Raw athlete, but definitely worth a pick in the fourth.)

5th round - Ulysees Gilbert III, ILB, Akron.

(Backup linebacker.)

6th round - Oli Udoh, OG, Elon.

(Offensive line depth.)

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like it a lot! I’ll share the first two thoughts I had with this and they’re related. First is you aren’t spending a lot of our available cap space. Another vet addition or two on short contracts would help a lot. Related to that and your first round pick I think it would be wise to keep Brockers for the last year of his deal. The only dline you’re adding is basically going to redshirt and we lost two starters along with Westbrook’s and Longacre/Easley who are mostly edge depth. Just feels this leaves us thin up front. Aside from that I really like this.

Also looking before I hit enter what is your thoughts on replacing Mannion and we should have a 7th rounder for the Cody Davis comp.

Ram65

Legend
Rodger Saffold (two years)

Rams have to go three years and maybe four with a small cap hit.

Ndamukong Suh
Dante Fowler
Lamarcus Joyner
C.J. Anderson
Malcolm Brown
Dominique Easley
Matt Longacre
Ethan Westbrooks
Sam Shields
Bryce Hager
Ramik Wilson
Sean Mannion
Troy Hill
Garrett Sickels

(Anderson is a guy I hate to lose, but he'll be looking - and probably will get - a starting job next year. Fowler is another guy I hate to lose, but he might cost too much money. Suh and Joyner make too much money for what they've provided. Easley has injury issues, Longacre has been ineffective, and Westbrooks might look for a starting job. Shields is old for a cornerback, Hager and Wilson are nothing special and should be replaced. Mannion isn't the answer at backup quarterback. Sickels is an ERFA, but has been injured and on the practice squad the last few years. Hill is gone as I can't tell whether or not he's unrestricted or not. Malcolm Brown should start on another team.)

Wilson was a good cheaper backup. Hard not to keep either Westbooks or Longacre. Shields is one I keep as he still has his speed plus a year back. Hill depends on who they get in the draft.

Release

Mark Barron
Michael Brockers

(I really hate to release Brockers, but you need to make hard sacrifices with money where this team is going, so he's gone. Barron is obvious.)

1st round - Jeffery Simmons, NT, Mississippi State.

(Just learned that he tore his ACL and changed the mock because of it. When healthy and on the field, Simmons is one of the most dominant D-linemen in this class. We all know that he hit a woman in high school, but seeing as he's owned up to it, I'll give him a pass, just this once.)

Brockers and Simmons---Maybe, I not sure the Rams want to wait year for Simmons. Thin at DL so maybe they give Brokers an extension to ease his cap hit.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Not bad, a couple notes:

1) Saffold will take a hometown discount, but will want more than 2 years. This is his last opportunity for a sizable contract.

2) Need more DT depth. Maybe take a flier on Shelton, which you may have alluded to above.

3) I think we may get a 6th if we send Barron to the Jets.

4) ya-sin is an early second day projection. No chance he falls. We may even be in play for Norman.

5) I'd like to see us take a shot at a mid round qb if we don't sign someone in FA. Mannion doesn't have what it takes if Goff goes down.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
even if we keep all our draft picks and don't have any injurys you will be 8 short on your roster. you might want to make home town offers to brockers,westbrock,suh,brown, longacres, and hager. if 3 or 4 took a home town offer you would have less holes to fill.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the Simmons pick. I don't think Alexander is the right guy to plug in at ILB. And we'd need to add two DLs if we don't retain Suh or Brockers. Simmons won't be ready for the start of the year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why wouldn't we keep Malcolm Brown who will be cheap? He's done nothing but good things when given the chances.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like it a lot! I’ll share the first two thoughts I had with this and they’re related. First is you aren’t spending a lot of our available cap space. Another vet addition or two on short contracts would help a lot. Related to that and your first round pick I think it would be wise to keep Brockers for the last year of his deal. The only dline you’re adding is basically going to redshirt and we lost two starters along with Westbrook’s and Longacre/Easley who are mostly edge depth. Just feels this leaves us thin up front. Aside from that I really like this.

Also looking before I hit enter what is your thoughts on replacing Mannion and we should have a 7th rounder for the Cody Davis comp.

True. I guess I'll spend more of the cap space in the next mock. I wasn't sure how much we had. And I'll probably keep Brockers with the remaining cap space. I'm admittedly not sure who to replace Mannion with, and I don't know if we'll have a seventh round pick yet.

Rams have to go three years and maybe four with a small cap hit.

Wilson was a good cheaper backup. Hard not to keep either Westbooks or Longacre. Shields is one I keep as he still has his speed plus a year back. Hill depends on who they get in the draft.

Brockers and Simmons---Maybe, I not sure the Rams want to wait year for Simmons. Thin at DL so maybe they give Brokers an extension to ease his cap hit.

I guess I'll keep Wilson, Westbrooks and Shields. Longacre, I'm not sure of.

Not bad, a couple notes:

1) Saffold will take a hometown discount, but will want more than 2 years. This is his last opportunity for a sizable contract.

2) Need more DT depth. Maybe take a flier on Shelton, which you may have alluded to above.

3) I think we may get a 6th if we send Barron to the Jets.

4) ya-sin is an early second day projection. No chance he falls. We may even be in play for Norman.

5) I'd like to see us take a shot at a mid round qb if we don't sign someone in FA. Mannion doesn't have what it takes if Goff goes down.

I struggle with paying Saffold more than two years. He's thirty-one with an injury history. Yeah, I struggled putting Shelton on, but he'll be on next mock. I don't know if we'll get anything for Barron. Ya-Sin will likely fall because of his passivity in tackling. Like JonRam said, maybe we sign Perez.

That Perez kid ain't lookin so bad, lol....

Maybe my next mock will have him.

even if we keep all our draft picks and don't have any injurys you will be 8 short on your roster. you might want to make home town offers to brockers,westbrock,suh,brown, longacres, and hager. if 3 or 4 took a home town offer you would have less holes to fill.

Very much true. Brockers, Westbrooks, Brown, and Ramik Wilson. Longacre struggled this year, Hager doesn't provide much, and Suh will likely take a big offer.

I love the Simmons pick. I don't think Alexander is the right guy to plug in at ILB. And we'd need to add two DLs if we don't retain Suh or Brockers. Simmons won't be ready for the start of the year.

True. I'll retain Brockers. I still want Alexander to be a Ram.

Why wouldn't we keep Malcolm Brown who will be cheap? He's done nothing but good things when given the chances.

That is very much true. I'll revise this to keeping Brown after this mock.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Looks good in spots.

My first reaction was we are losing more players than adding. 6 UDFA’s make the team? That seems high for a SB team?