Melvin Gordon/Fumbling Machine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Gordon is still the fumbling machine he was in college. He fumbled twice today alone and was benched after the second one. That makes 3 fumbles in the past two weeks and 4 on the season. Maybe the Chargers should've looked into this pattern before draft day.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
To think some 'experts' suggested he was a better pick than Gurley...:thinking:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Gordon was billed as Ib. versus Gurley as 1a....Not even close...I looked over his games, and the most he has run for is around 81 yards, so no 100 yard games yet. His output isn't better than Tre Mason's would be in the same system, imo......The Chargers have another RB that is doing just as well, and I have never heard of him....

We got the real deal.

FRO

Legend
His fumbling issues were most likely ignored due to his great ability as a runner. Maybe they can fix him like Giants fixed Tiki Barber. If a guy has a fumbling issue in college it usually doesn't get better in the pros.

FRO

Legend

Anybody who thought they were the same talent wise were nuts. Watching them play on Saturdays you could tell Gurley was on a different level than everybody else he played. From his first game as a freshman he was better than everybody. If it weren't for the knee injury he would/should have went much higher. The AP comparisons were definitely warranted. I think Gurley will be better than Steven Jackson was for us and has HOF ability.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody who thought they were the same talent wise were nuts. Watching them play on Saturdays you could tell Gurley was on a different level than everybody else he played. From his first game as a freshman he was better than everybody. If it weren't for the knee injury he would/should have went much higher. The AP comparisons were definitely warranted. I think Gurley will be better than Steven Jackson was for us and has HOF ability.
I think some thought that Gordon was a healthier, safer choice than Gurley...Still, the Gordon I have seen in the Pro's makes me think he should never have been taken in the 1st round..jmo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think some thought that Gordon was a healthier, safer choice than Gurley...Still, the Gordon I have seen in the Pro's makes me think he should never have been taken in the 1st round..jmo.

There are reasons why teams have been moving away from taking RBs in the first round. Basically, unless they appear to have epic skills to non-fanboys, it's better to fill other positions. Otherwise, there is a high bust rate, and a short career for most of the others. You need RBs, but most teams are better off waiting until later to grab one.

Gurley looked like a future star, but had the injury - a serious concern. Things have worked out as well so far as the Rams could realistically have hoped - but the reason they gambled on taking him in the first is that if he worked out, they knew he would be a major star. Gordon looked like somebody who if he worked out he might get yards in the right situation, maybe a few more yards than most RBs could.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
There are reasons why teams have been moving away from taking RBs in the first round. Basically, unless they appear to have epic skills to non-fanboys, it's better to fill other positions. Otherwise, there is a high bust rate, and a short career for most of the others. You need RBs, but most teams are better off waiting until later to grab one.

Gurley looked like a future star, but had the injury - a serious concern. Things have worked out as well so far as the Rams could realistically have hoped - but the reason they gambled on taking him in the first is that if he worked out, they knew he would be a major star. Gordon looked like somebody who if he worked out he might get yards in the right situation, maybe a few more yards than most RBs could.

I agree. AP and Gurley are the exception I think. If you cannot get that level of RB, then I don't think it's worth going first round for a RB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I agree. AP and Gurley are the exception I think. If you cannot get that level of RB, then I don't think it's worth going first round for a RB.

Ditto. I am not a fan of 1st round RB's.

Gurley among the rare exceptions.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I remember some of our own members saying the same thing after the draft.

I don't know about people thinking he was better, but I do remember people thinking he was safer because of the knee. I didn't want to draft him at all because of the knee. Well, that and I don't like RBs in the first round. But I am genuinely impressed with him. Not his physical tools, everybody in the NFL has those to some extent, but he reads things pretty well. He seemingly pass blocks well for a rookie. If the knee holds he'll be a great player.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Lol I remember this too. Don't you wish you had a job where you could be completely wrong and sweep it under the rug but praise yourself when a pick goes right? Lol these analysts are ridiculous.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Gordon was billed as Ib. versus Gurley as 1a....Not even close...I looked over his games, and the most he has run for is around 81 yards, so no 100 yard games yet. His output isn't better than Tre Mason's would be in the same system, imo......The Chargers have another RB that is doing just as well, and I have never heard of him....

We got the real deal.
Shows how analysts just go with the flavor of the month. Gurley was a generational talent in college but Gordon surpassed him in the minds of some

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ditto. I am not a fan of 1st round RB's.

Gurley among the rare exceptions.

And Steven Jackson, Marshall Faulk, and Eric Dickerson.

Talent is talent, no matter where you find it. Only positions I wouldn't draft in the first round are fullback, long snapper, punter, and kicker.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Well two years ago before Gurley's knee injury I know that there were tons of Rams fans wishing that Fisher would get Gurley but the thought was that there was no way he would be available at the position the Rams would be picking. Now this takes into account that fans thought the Rams would be doing better and that Gurley would be healthy. I for one told many of my friends that I was hoping that the Rams would pick Gurley and was ecstatic when they did take him. The fact that Fisher and Snead claim Gurley was the number ONE prospect in the draft really tells you what they thought of him. This has been bore out by his performances so far and hopefully he stays healthy for the Rams! I do agree with other fans that if he stays healthy and productive he has a shot at the HOF, especially since there are so few bell cows left in the league which really should lower the bar in the future with all the RB by committees.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
While I do like the guy I think maybe we should wait until he gets to game 17 before talking about the HOF. The last time we put this much pressure on a guy to transform the franchise he ended up playing in Philadelphia. Nobody's going to change anything until our team finds balance in the offense, and can win the LOS.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I believe the Chargers wanted Gurley all along and once we took him they knew they needed and wanted a running back and went with Gordon.

But for those so called experts on Draft day that said Gordon was better then Gurley OMG i don't know what college film they watched but they see what everyone else saw. lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Didn't like Gordon too much....Saw some of the holes he was running through in college, and figured my grandma could avg. 6 yards a carry and she's dead.
I think RB's should still be valued...But a sharp scouting dept. should be able to find a good one in the later rounds...Not a Gurley type...but a good one....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't like Gordon too much....Saw some of the holes he was running through in college, and figured my grandma could avg. 6 yards a carry and she's dead.

If I'm a linebacker and a zombie grandmother is carrying the football towards me I'm running in the opposite direction - so I suspect she'd get a lot more than 6 yards.

(sorry)

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Wish this would mean more touches for woodhead, not oliver. Shits killing my fantasy numbers :cry: