Mel Kiper vs. the Annoited God's gift to the draft (Mayock)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Who is really better?

Answer: Neither.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blog...k-Drafts/6d71ee11-12c8-412d-9466-8f41cdc6b272

Granted, it is a guessing game for mocks. But my point is no matter how much they talk up *coughMikeMayockcough* a player and give him fancy labels, they are both in the dark about what a team wants do. And the more they act like they know, the more annoying it gets.

FTR, I follow many teams on twitter just to get different perspectives that's why it's linked to a NY Giants article.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I agree. I dismissed Mel Kiper's credibility after he proclaimed Jimmy Clausen as one of the best prospects he had ever seen.

jap

Legend
I agree. I dismissed Mel Kiper's credibility after he proclaimed Jimmy Clausen as one of the best prospects he had ever seen.

Everybody blows it sometimes. I was never a Kiper fan, but citing a single miss isn't the end of the world for his credibility.

PartyKane

UDFA
Name
Alex Maldonado
Everybody blows it sometimes. I was never a Kiper fan, but citing a single miss isn't the end of the world for his credibility.

"One of the best prospects he had ever seen" His credibility is gone.. He said Jimmy Clausen was one of the best.. prospects.. he had ever seen... ever seen

I may have not been clear, he said Jimmy Clausen.... was one of the best prospects he had ever seen

tempests

Hall of Fame

Let's add a few more then.

Comparing JaMarcus Russell to John Elway
Ki Jana Carter to Bo Jackson
Ricky Stanzi being the best QB in the 2011 draft
Lions WR Mike Williams(5 career touchdowns)"I’ll see you at his Hall of Fame induction."
Colts should've drafted Trent Dilfer instead of Marshall Faulk. "“That’s why the Colts are picking second every year in the draft.....not battling for the Super Bowl.”

He was an Akili Smith and Aaron Curry honk too.

I get why he does this; he's in the business of selling the draft; but to us, the viewer. His analysis is not to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Who cares? These guys evaluate tons of players so they are bound to have misses. Have you actually compared his misses to his successes to critically determine his success rate? That's one sure way of determining how bad|good he is if you are really inclined.

I don't pay much attention to hardly any of those guys. but I don't see the need to either attack their credibility or laud their greatness. They are just doing a job, nothing more. I just rather the draft begin because I get sick of all the inane chatter very quickly.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Who cares?

I do.

These guys evaluate tons of players so they are bound to have misses.

Kiper is an advertiser and an entertainer. The real evaluators aren't on ESPN.

Have you actually compared his misses to his successes to critically determine his success rate? That's one sure way of determining how bad|good he is if you are really inclined.

Yeah, I don't see an NFL front office job opening up for him anytime soon.

I don't see the need to either attack their credibility or laud their greatness. They are just doing a job, nothing more.

His job is to get people to tune into the draft. In this he's been most successful.

Whether he knows or believes in what he's talking about is another story.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, neither Mayock nor Kiper (nor McShay) are worth listening to if you want some deep draft analysis. They cater to the casual fan.

jap

Legend
Man, if you want to knock yourself out slamming Mel, go to it! I responded to what appeared to be a ridiculously hasty conclusion. If you think I have the slightest interest in joining you slamming people who are not even worth the time, you need to find yourself another tag team partner. None of this silly talk is worth it to me.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Man, if you want to knock yourself out slamming Mel, go to it!. If you think I have the slightest interest in joining you slamming people who are not even worth the time, you need to find yourself another tag team partner. None of this silly talk is worth it to me.

Commentators, analysts, journalists, other teams and coaches get ripped on these boards every day. So I'm not out of line.

I'm not knocking myself out, in fact I'm hardly expending any energy at all. Nor did I ask you to be a tag team partner or tell you to do anything. You seem unreasonably agitated. This thread is about draft analysts and my posts were on topic.

Whether this silly talk is worth it to you is determined for however long you visit this thread.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kiper is annually one of the most accurate mock drafters. Which says he is either very in tune with team needs and tastes, or has good inside info.

But for me Kiper is all about nostalgia. At one time he was all we had and I grew up listening to his over the top analysis and team criticisms. It has been entertaining through the years. Having a draft and not switching on Mel for a bit doesn't feel right.

I liked Mayock when he first hit the scene but there is an edge to him that drives me away.

Huge swing and miss, but I thought he just said Claussen was the most pro ready QB in the draft.

Lions WR Mike Williams(5 career touchdowns)"I’ll see you at his Hall of Fame induction."
Colts should've drafted Trent Dilfer instead of Marshall Faulk. "“That’s why the Colts are picking second every year in the draft.....not battling for the Super Bowl.”

I get why he does this; he's in the business of selling the draft; but to us, the viewer. His analysis is not to be taken seriously.

To be fair on Kijana Carter, he never really got a chance to prove it either way.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, neither Mayock nor Kiper (nor McShay) are worth listening to if you want some deep draft analysis. They cater to the casual fan.

How much analysis can they fit in 30 seconds? They're there to provide entertainment. And i find kiper and mcshay much more entertaining than the schlocks on nfln.

TexasRam

Legend
How much analysis can they fit in 30 seconds? They're there to provide entertainment. And i find kiper and mcshay much more entertaining than the schlocks on nfln.

Yea, the common fan doesn't follow all the top college players. The common fan has alot interest in the draft these days. Makes one sound smart around the water cooler to say "I like the QB from Cal. Good accuracy and footwork".

You got draft basic info presented with video clips. And cliff notes. It's what the common fan wants.

For all those draft geeks, they can always use that Internet thing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Mel Kiper was great before the Internet !!

I remember getting USA Today Fooball papers & reading his reports.They still have value.

Love the way The Rams draft in groups.They keep trying to reestablish the wheel.
When they went playmakers 1st year.
2 years ago all DB's & missed on Joyner,but finds in Bryant.,Gaines,& alexanser

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Missed on Joyner...Missed on Joyner???

OgNk4Nw.png

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We are going to have to set up a "safe place" for some people tonight apparently! :palm:

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy
"One of the best prospects he had ever seen" His credibility is gone.. He said Jimmy Clausen was one of the best.. prospects.. he had ever seen... ever seen

I may have not been clear, he said Jimmy Clausen.... was one of the best prospects he had ever seen

In his defense, there is a very real possibility that he thought they were discussing pickles.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
In his defense, there is a very real possibility that he thought they were discussing pickles.
Yes, but even THEN he would be wrong. Vlasic > Clausen!!! :cool:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I never liked Clausen, not crisp enough for the NFL.:sneaky:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Who is really better?

Answer: Neither.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/How-accurate-were-the-experts-2015-Mock-

Drafts/6d71ee11-12c8-412d-9466-8f41cdc6b272

Granted, it is a guessing game for mocks. But my point is no matter how much they talk up *coughMikeMayockcough* a player and give him fancy labels, they are both in the dark about what a team wants do. And the more they act like they know, the more annoying it gets.

FTR, I follow many teams on twitter just to get different perspectives that's why it's linked to a NY Giants article.

I'm just guessing here, but I don't get the impression that you're a big fan of Mayock ???