Meet the NFL's newest sponsor: Hyundai

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/nfl-announces-hyundai-deal/

NFL announces Hyundai deal
Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2015

hyundai1.jpg
Getty Images

America’s pastime no longer urges you to buy American. At least not when it comes to automobiles.

General Motors is out, and Hyundai is officially now in as the official automative sponsor of the NFL.

It’s a four-year arrangement announced Monday morning, and it will be launched in connection with the kickoff to the NFL regular season, on September 10.

“We are pleased to welcome Hyundai to our family of sponsors,” NFL senior vice president of sponsorship Renie Anderson said in a league-issued release. “We appreciate Hyundai’s enthusiasm as we work together to reach our fans with innovative programs during our season and with our major calendar events throughout the year.”

It’s likely no coincidence that the release also includes a quote from the CEO of “Hyundai Motor America,” and that the release points out that “Hyundai Motor America” is headquartered in California, and that “Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through more than 830 dealerships nationwide.”

As the U.S. of A. prepares to celebrate the 239th anniversary of its independence, it’s important for the NFL to make a non-American automotive sponsor look as American as possible.

In fairness to Hyundai and the NFL, Hyundai North America undoubtedly employs thousands of Americans. But it’s still not an American car company, and the NFL surely is concerned that this could create some hiccups for the most popular American sport.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/report-hyundai-deal-worth-50-million-per-year/

Report: Hyundai deal worth $50 million per year
Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2015

gettyimages_53467771.jpg
Getty Images

If the NFL will be taking any heat for doing business with a non-American car company, it’ll be worth it.

Via Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, Hyundai will be paying the NFL $50 million per year for the new four-year sponsorship deal. That’s twice the amount General Motors had been paying.

And there’s more. Or, technically, less. Hyundai didn’t obtain total exclusivity; per Rovell, the NFL can (and surely will) sell the truck category separately, giving that vehicle to the Super Bowl MVP.

In other words, the one time per year that the NFL has a link to an automobile manufacturer, Hyundai’s $50 million per year won’t be getting anything.

In other words, the Kanye lyric “win a Super Bowl and drive off in a Hyundai” still won’t relate to something good.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey! I drive a Hyundai!

Great warranty, decent car at a good price. Been driving it for a decade, finally had to put a new clutch in last year - the first repair expense.

And it's not like the American car companies actually make their cars entirely or even primarily here anymore.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Hey! I drive a Hyundai!

Great warranty, decent car at a good price. Been driving it for a decade, finally had to put a new clutch in last year - the first repair expense.

And it's not like the American car companies actually make their cars entirely or even primarily here anymore.
My "Japanese" automobile was made in the USA.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
When I was looking at two vehicles, the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Honda Accord Hybrid, it was night and day.

The Honda Dealer was like dealing with a high-end car dealer like a Lexus, Infiniti or Mercedes dealership. They found the car I wanted right away and it was easy.

The Ford Dealer wanted me to put down a deposit just to take a test drive even AFTER I pointed out that on the Ford corporate site, I could see where the car I wanted was and I could just go to that dealership. He took so long getting back to me that by the time he called me back say that he had the vehicle in for a test drive, I'd already purchased the Honda. Was so shady, I wouldn't have purchased the Ford even if the vehicle was better by a smidge.

I've learned the hard way that having a good dealer really makes a huge difference and I've owned Honda before and it was a great experience. Actually, we were in a super bad car accident and the car saved my son's life. The Civic we owned crumpled after being rear ended by a Olds going 55mph. Thanks to its then innovative unibody construction, it crumpled all the way to the A-frame. Took the jaws of life to get us out, but even with my 8 month old son less than 36 inches from the point of impact from a 2ton vehicle travelling 55mph, he lived. He had a fractured skull, but he survived.

So, yeah. I got over the "foreign is cheap" trope a LONG time ago. And when looking at some of the NHTSA safety ratings, some domestic cars do really well and some? yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to be in them. They're not exactly Corvairs (my mom owned one and actually crashed it going onto a freeway. The steering wheel actually just...came off in her hands. No joke. Thankfully, she just rolled into the iceplant. I was an infant at the time in what can be generously described as a "decorative" car seat...), but ugh.

So yeah. The Honda Accord Hybrid drives like a freakin' dream and I've gotten 50mpg in town and 37mpg with a full car and the AC blasting in the Florida heat doing 80. Which is pretty damned impressive for the ride it gives which is tight and responsive.

I have to admit, some of those Hyundais look really slick. Their styling has been impressive for a number of years now. They've gotten past just ripping off Mercedes, I think.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Let's all remember that Hyundai is South Korean and not Japanese.

@Mackeyser , I had the opposite experience with my Ford dealer and is the reason I bought my 2014 Mustang (but the 0% APR and 2K cash back didn't hurt their chances.) My family has bought cars from them for over 20 years now.

You're right in saying it's all about your dealer experience. But, Ford has some of the best products coming out right now. As far as Hyundai is concerned, I will agree that they do look slick. But Hyundai and Kia (Which are kinda like GMC to Chevy) their finishing on vehicles is subpar, IMO. I know people that buy them and then 6 months later the panels rattle. Maybe they've fixed it since then. I love the way the Genesis Coupe and Genesis Sedans look though. And that V8 in the Genesis sedan is nothing to scoff at.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh, yeah. I narrowed it down to Honda and Ford because of the product. And that says a lot because I was a Chevy guy. My first car was a 1970 Camaro.

It's just that in my area, the dealer made the difference. I never got to drive the Ford and even if it was a bit better, the dealer experience would have made the ownership experience much worse.

I know I would have felt safe in the Ford. I don't doubt that. The Ford Fusion is an excellent vehicle.

But MAN alive, the difference in dealers... I'd almost rather buy a car from Craig's List than from some of these dealers. They just reek with sleezy and there are so many tricks and barely legal scams that dealers are aware of that the average citizen would never know that in some ways, it's safer to buy from a private party. Some ways. Unless you have a trusted dealer, I mean.

But that buying process really illustrated to me, anyway, why it's not just on the car manufacturers to just focus on their cars.

Ford lost a sale in my case not because of engineering, styling, performance or price, but...a dealer and that should NEVER happen.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Hyundai makes a nice car, but I miss the American cars of old. I remember my dad's old Cadillac Brougham being super elegant and super comfortable. Seems like nobody makes cars that way anymore.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Domestic vehicles seem to be built mostly in Canada and Mexico but imports tend to be made in places like Kentucky and Tennessee.

There is a huge vacant lot that was a Chrystler factory for decades close to my house. They took their bailout money and moved shop to Mexico.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Domestic vehicles seem to be built mostly in Canada and Mexico but imports tend to be made in places like Kentucky and Tennessee.

There is a huge vacant lot that was a Chrystler factory for decades close to my house. They took their bailout money and moved shop to Mexico.

And that plant and oodles of others like it are closed in large part to really bad union stewardship.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad

The imports go to places like Kentucky and Tennessee because they're practically guaranteed no union presence out there by those states. Of course, they provide favorable perks to its employees like great health and dental care so that it negates the need for one.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Not trying to start a debate here... just saying what is. Like every complicated issue the reasons are multiple. When things seem stupid I tend to look to government policy.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Not a Hyundai fan, can barely spell it. I was always American fan but the past ten years i have changed to the imports. Camry 2012 and now a 2015. They look cool on the Nascar circut. Sold me on one.

A55VA6

Legend
I drive a Hyundai and it's a piece of shit. lol nah, it just has a shit ton of miles on it but it's never failed on me!