Meet Coy Bacon - The most overlooked player in NFL history

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Coy Bacon of the best names for a defensive lineman in NFL History. The John Hadl Trade for Bacon was great for the Los Angeles Rams in so many ways.

First, because of acquiring Hadl, Roman Gabriel wanted out so he was dealt to the Eagles for WR Harold Jackson, RB Tony Baker and draft picks. Then Hadl was dealt in 1974 to the Green Bay Packers for a litany of high draft picks that continued to pay dividends for the Rams adding the likes of Guard Dennis Harrah & Tackle Doug France to post a few.

OS ANGELES, Jan. 25 (AP) —The Los Angeles Rams, who suffered through a mediocre season with a sore‐armed Roman Gabriel at quarterback, today acquired John Hadl from the San Diego Chargers for Coy Bacon, a defensive end, and Bob Thomas, running back.

Hadl was available after the Chargers acquired John Unitas from the Baltimore Colts last Monday. He joins a Ram team that slipped after Gabriel suffered a collapsed lung and then had tendinitis in his right elbow.

Hadl, who'll be 33 years old this week, is an 11‐year pro who had been the Chargers' starting quarterback since 1964. He has passed for 26,938 yards, sixth highest in National Football League history, and has 201 touchdown passes.

Bacon, 29, was acquired from the, Dallas Cowboy taxi squad by the Rams in 1968 and was a Pro Bowl performer the last two years.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coy Bacon of the best names for a defensive lineman in NFL History. The John Hadl Trade for Bacon was great for the Los Angeles Rams in so many ways.

First, because of acquiring Hadl, Roman Gabriel wanted out so he was dealt to the Eagles for WR Harold Jackson, RB Tony Baker and draft picks. Then Hadl was dealt in 1974 to the Green Bay Packers for a litany of high draft picks that continued to pay dividends for the Rams adding the likes of Guard Dennis Harrah & Tackle Doug France to post a few.

OS ANGELES, Jan. 25 (AP) —The Los Angeles Rams, who suffered through a mediocre season with a sore‐armed Roman Gabriel at quarterback, today acquired John Hadl from the San Diego Chargers for Coy Bacon, a defensive end, and Bob Thomas, running back.

Hadl was available after the Chargers acquired John Unitas from the Baltimore Colts last Monday. He joins a Ram team that slipped after Gabriel suffered a collapsed lung and then had tendinitis in his right elbow.

Hadl, who'll be 33 years old this week, is an 11‐year pro who had been the Chargers' starting quarterback since 1964. He has passed for 26,938 yards, sixth highest in National Football League history, and has 201 touchdown passes.

Bacon, 29, was acquired from the, Dallas Cowboy taxi squad by the Rams in 1968 and was a Pro Bowl performer the last two years.

Coach cheered when I was dumped! ~ Coy

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Just one correction. Regardless of what the article said, Bacon was not 29 when he joined the Rams in 1968.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Bacon was 29 in 1973 that is what the article meant.
My Bad. However, I also think Bacon was older than 29 in 1973, so the article was still wrong.

Most of what I have seen has Bacon's year-of-birth as 1942.

One of my favorite Rams when I first became a fan in 1969/1970.

Roman Gabriel, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Willie Ellison, Charlie Cowan, Tom Mack and Coy Bacon. I still use some combination of their jersey numbers (and a few other Rams from that time) for various passwords and personal codes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My Bad. However, I also think Bacon was older than 29 in 1973, so the article was still wrong.

Most of what I have seen has Bacon's year-of-birth as 1942.

One of my favorite Rams when I first became a fan in 1969/1970.

Roman Gabriel, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Willie Ellison, Charlie Cowan, Tom Mack and Coy Bacon. I still use some combination of their jersey numbers (and a few other Rams from that time) for various passwords and personal codes.
FWIW I was 7 in 73 turning that age in September of that year. I was so upset of them trading Bacon & then Roman Gabriel & I thought the Rams were in big trouble especially under a first year Head Coach nobody heard of, but what a great year it turned out to be.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
FWIW I was 7 in 73 turning that age in September of that year. I was so upset of them trading Bacon & then Roman Gabriel & I thought the Rams were in big trouble especially under a first year Head Coach nobody heard of, but what a great year it turned out to be.
Same here. When the Rams hired Chuck Knox, I turned to my father and asked "Who?!?"

Trading Gabriel made me so sad. Deacon the year before; and then the Bacon trade.

In 50+ years of being a Rams' fan, there have been several times when the Team far exceeded my expectations ... 1973, 1983, of course 1999 and 2017. I hope it happens again this up-coming season.

dang

Legend
Roman Gabriel in horns in 1971/4th grade made me a Rams fan. Leroy Kelly was my first favorite NFL player but the Browns and their shit stain helmets didn’t do it for me.