McVay Week 8 Post Game Presser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, but Jourdan was kind enough to post a couple of stills from her post-game piece on her twitter feed, which I've posted below. These are Spot. Fucking. On. McVay was positively Martz-ian today, and that to me is the number one reason we lost. Not excusing Goff, not excusing the pass blocking ... but McVay could have made that moot. He didn't.

View attachment 40586

I have gone rounds on this in other posts... but this perception isn't reality.

for most of the game they were still running the ball... even when down by 18 in the 4th.

There were some moments where maybe they should have ran... but "staunchly refused to run the ball"

That's nowhere near what happened.

Paydirt

UDFA
Good for Coach ....... how the fuck could ya' not be fuming after that performance. All of these people that are like : we'll still make the playoffs : the sun will still rise tomorrow : at least I'm employed and my family is healthy - kiss my ass . Then go watch the lifetime channel & don't waste my time talkin' sports.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

for most of the game they were still running the ball... even when down by 18 in the 4th.

There were some moments where maybe they should have ran... but "staunchly refused to run the ball"

I've seen you go around with other posters, and while her characterizations could use some extra precision, as others have pointed out to you McVay did get away from the run on several good drives where the run was working. And nothing good happened after he did. You emphasize that there are moments when they should have ran, but those moments were critical. Failing to run in those moments prevented us from gaining the momentum we needed..

We expect Goff to have a better feel for what's happening in the pocket when he's on the field. By the same token I expect McVay to have a good feel for the game and adjust to what is working when something else isn't. This season, nobody has truly stopped our run game, and nobody can make the argument that the Dolphins did today. What stopped it was getting away from the run on promising drives and doing it only 11 times in the 2nd half against a D that isn't very good against the run to begin with.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
McVay summed it up pretty well. They had answers for the looks but didn't execute. Later on they did. I think that covers the game nicely.

I think he needs to ask himself if beating it later was a function of their D getting tired after spending most of the game on the field. He should also ask himself why the insistence on trying to beat them at what they were doing successfully on D while having a tendency on multiple drives at getting away from beating what they weren't doing good on D, which was stopping the run.

Ellard80

Legend
I've seen you go around with other posters, and while her characterizations could use some extra precision, as others have pointed out to you McVay did get away from the run on several good drives where the run was working. And nothing good happened after he did. You emphasize that there are moments when they should have ran, but those moments were critical. Failing to run in those moments prevented us from gaining the momentum we needed..

We expect Goff to have a better feel for what's happening in the pocket when he's on the field. By the same token I expect McVay to have a good feel for the game and adjust to what is working when something else isn't. This season, nobody has truly stopped our run game, and nobody can make the argument that the Dolphins did today. What stopped it was getting away from the run on promising drives and doing it only 11 times in the 2nd half against a D that isn't very good against the run to begin with.

see lol there we go... only ran 11 times in the 2nd half... using X amounts of passes or runs to support false conclusions.

3rd quarter first drive... ran it 2 out of 3 times.... Punt...
3rd quarter second drive ran it 2 out of 5 times... punt

So at this point 50/50 ran to pass ratio..... late into the 3rd quarter down by 18 - 3 scores.

We now get the ball back with 5 min left in 3rd quarter...

drive 3 in the 3rd quarter run twice pass 8 times..
but we got killed by a holding penalty that would have had the rams down at the 5... we ran it on 1st and 20.. but then we had to pass now that its 2 and 18.... so it that situation the option of running the ball was really not an option.

4th quarter... our touchdown drive we ran the ball 4 out of 10 times on that drive... tha'ts not nearly 50/50 run pass...

We didn't stop running the ball until 6 minutes left in the game down by 11....

This narrative of abandoning the run is just BS that keeps getting repeated.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
No, he should take the blame, he should look in the mirror because the buck stops with him. And he put his offense in shitty situations repeatedly and went away from what was working. While there are multiple reasons we lost today, it starts with him.

yes i agree that mcvay called a poor game but he had nothing to do with goff staring down first read receivers and not getting the ball out sooner. i think goff had 6 or 7 balls batted down by dl players because the df could reed his eyes. mcvay was not the one missing blitz pick ups or dropping passes. not saying he was not to blame for a lot of the problems today. i don't mind him taking a lot of the blame but i still think others need to be called out also. part of looking in the mirror is seeing the mistake some players are making and call them out. maybe he does call them out just not in the press if so i'm fine with that but they should be called out

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
kind of tired of him taking the blame. i am ready to see him blame and hold certain players accountable. all though i think he did a poor job of calling plays
He deserves a lot of the blame today. It looked like the dolphins were given out copies of our playbook, they were sitting on damn near every play.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think what we saw today was a perfect storm where McVays issues and Goffs issues were compiling each other in a vicious cycle kinda way while the Dolphins defense had the perfect plan in place to capitalize on it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
see lol there we go... only ran 11 times in the 2nd half... using X amounts of passes or runs to support false conclusions.

So at this point 50/50 ran to pass ratio..... late into the 3rd quarter down by 18 - 3 scores.

but we got killed by a holding penalty that would have had the rams down at the 5... we ran it on 1st and 20.. but then we had to pass now that its 2 and 18.... so it that situation the option of running the ball was really not an option.

4th quarter... our touchdown drive we ran the ball 4 out of 10 times on that drive... tha'ts not nearly 50/50 run pass...

Again, let me state again ... there were several drives in the game where the Rams were moving the ball on the ground, particularly in the first half where, once the Rams started to get into or close to the red zone, McVay got pass happy. NONE of those drives ended successfully, and one in particularly ended disastrously. The drive where the Dolphins had the huge fumble return was one of them.

Furthermore, riddle me this. You're an NFL head coach. You're going into a game against a defense that has not performed well against the run all season, while your offense is one of the better rushing offenses in the league. The head coach was on the staff of a team than blunted your passing game in the Super Bowl two years prior. Where would you put the emphasis of your gameplan in such a game?

Would you emphasize attacking them where they are weakest? Because there is no way you can argue that McVay put his emphasis on that today.

Even after he saw what they were doing to the passing game, he kept trying to beat it instead of settling the offense down and pounding them with the run - which we were doing at a clip of 5 yards per carry in the first half.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
yes i agree that mcvay called a poor game but he had nothing to do with goff staring down first read receivers and not getting the ball out sooner. i think goff had 6 or 7 balls batted down by dl players because the df could reed his eyes. mcvay was not the one missing blitz pick ups or dropping passes. not saying he was not to blame for a lot of the problems today. i don't mind him taking a lot of the blame but i still think others need to be called out also. part of looking in the mirror is seeing the mistake some players are making and call them out. maybe he does call them out just not in the press if so i'm fine with that but they should be called out

I'm sure they'll get called out in the film room during film study this week. But McVay does not get any slack because of Goff's struggles, at least not from me, because instead of trying to adjust to the reality staring him in the face, he tried to fight it. Once he saw Goff struggling and saw what the Dolphins were doing on D, and also saw that we were running very well against them, he should have shifted to a much more run heavy approach. That would have muted Goff's issues somewhat, would have possibly helped settle down the offense and give it some confidence, and would have forced the Dolphins to adjust what they were doing. Instead McVay kept wanting to fight them at what they were doing well, instead of focusing his attack on their biggest weakness.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not always but sometimes what we see as "looking down a reciever" is about coaching. If a play is designed to develop late, and if its your best match up, sometimes the thing to do hang in there and deliver the ball when they make their move to separate. Truth is, today, even when Goff had time, our recievers were not able to get open consistently enough for any kind of rhythm.

Also - Goff isn't short and his delivery/trajectory isn't especially low, so the tipped passes are a feature of the defense knowing what we want to do and when we want to do it.
It took McVay the entire 1st half to realize a 1 to 1 alternating run and pass balance is too predictable?

Sometimes McVay is determined to impose his will on teams. Thats a great thing when we are winning. Thats why he doesn't lose games after leading at half-time.
On the flipside, it can be painful when its not working.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.

You’re right. They tried to run the ball but got behind the sticks and had to throw. That argument is lazy and ill conceived.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Not always but sometimes what we see as "looking down a reciever" is about coaching.

Not to mention, when they are teeing off with extra pass rushers, sometimes there isn't time for him to go through his progressions.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.

…..

Legend
Lets not take solice in the fact that the coach was pissed after the game please. Thats a trap. Fact is- we werent good enough and all people should be pissed. Big fkn deal.

Rams77

Starter

This article is from 2011. Describes Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning audible plays and protections at the line against blitz looks against man to man coverage. GMs discuss how hard it is to develop a QB to be successful consistently in these situations. How most QBs are not competent enough.
Great read.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff threw on pick on him the 9ther his arm was hit. The turnovers were on STs and the OL.
In a cover zero there's gonna be more rushers than lineman. It's up to the qb to spot the blitz and get the ball pit asap. Goff gets PUMMELED by blitzers which tells me he has no idea where they're coming from.

EasyE

Starter
he is worried that they are exposed....that he does not have answers to what we saw today, that our players can execute. Panic is setting in....our current crop of players could not or did not have the ability yet to counter....lets hope it only takes reps to fix