McVay wants to send out current Rams roster "on a good note"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
McVay wants to send out current Rams roster "on a good note"

Sunday's Week 17 game against the Cardinals will be the final one for the current group of Rams players with Los Angeles officially eliminated from playoff contention.

For Rams head coach Sean McVay, it will be an integral part of his message throughout the week.

“I think it’s important," McVay said, when asked about emphasizing that. "You want to make sure that you cherish every moment and you make sure that you maximize the day."

L.A.'s roster could look much different next season with several players' contracts expiring.

Among the starters, left tackle Andrew Whitworth, defensive lineman Michael Brockers, outside linebacker Dante Fowler, kicker Greg Zuerlein, inside linebacker Cory Littleton and center Austin Blythe are scheduled to become free agents in 2020, according to spotrac.com. Whitworth told NFL Network's Mike Silver after Saturday's game that he intends to play next year.

In the immediate future, the group has a chance to help guarantee a winning record for the Rams in each of their first three seasons under McVay.

"You want to make sure that you appreciate, enjoy the opportunities, appreciate the relationships that you build – knowing that inevitably there is change that occurs year in and year out whether it be good or bad," McVay said.

That inevitable change is a natural part of the NFL. It is what allows other teams to reach the postseason and contend for a Super Bowl, much like the Rams did last season.

At 8-7, Los Angeles is locked into a third place finish in its division for 2019. While a ninth win would be a humbling departure from the repeat division titles across the 2017 and 2018 seasons which featured 11-5 and 13-3 regular season records, respectively, it carries more meaning than one would think.

"I think it’s important," McVay said. "I think it demonstrates, too, the character that I do believe we have in this locker room. For guys to continue to compete, we’re going to battle and we’re going to compete to the best of our ability to try to finish out with a winning record. That is something that I said to the team today and I think it’s important for us. We know the challenge because Arizona is a tough football team."

While the season has not gone the way McVay or any of the current Rams likely planned, it has given him perspective and appreciation. Now, his goal is to finish the season in positive fashion, regardless of what the future holds.

"For us, this will be the last time with this team that we’ll get a chance to go out and compete together," McVay said. "I think we want to be able to enjoy the week of preparation and let’s see these guys go out on a good note."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if this is positive or ominous?

Ominous for some players and coaches. Three absolute abdominal performances by the d and their last effort was undone by giving up two 3rd and 16s in the last drive. There has to be changes there.

Oline, qb coach, special teams, d coaches - watch your backs.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
Three absolute abdominal performances by the d and their last effort was undone by giving up two 3rd and 16s in the last drive.

Yeah...that certainly made me sick to my stomach...:mad:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
These are the types of games that indicate a teams overall feelings about the coaching staff. These are also the types of games that owners and GM's use to help decide if HC's and OC's and DC's need to go. In a "meaningless" game if players mail it in IMO it's as much that they don't give a shit as trying to stay healthy.

If McVay had decided to sit starters I'd respect his decision but I would be disappointed. IMO the fact that he is playing to win is going to motivate the players in a big way.

So I expect to see an all out effort because these guys like McVay and Phillips and want to win for themselves too.

dang

Legend
Play like your job next year depended on it. Should be true for anyone not named Aaron Donald.

Ram65

Legend
This Rams team needs to go out with a nice win. Many won't be back. Murray may play so the Rams have to be ready. I wouldn't mind getting Obo, Long and some others some PT.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Three absolute abdominal performances by the d and their last effort was undone by giving up two 3rd and 16s in the last drive.

Yeah...that certainly made me sick to my stomach...:mad:

stupid auto correct.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Divisional game, a win puts us at a 3-3 record instead of 2-4 so there's that. I'll be disappointed if the Rams don't take it to them and finish 9-7.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody ever wonder how much genius in our last years’ coaching staff went to Green Bay?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The genius is still in LA. GB winning with D.

If AR was in LA. We would have won last years SB.

I am getting a bit tired of this assertion.

Sure Mcvay needs to find his guys again.

But Lafluer was hired to the Titans and led the 20th or so offense. Then the Packers hired him.

He didn't just get stripped away from Mcvay. We made the super bowl without him.

Anyone is kidding themselves if they don't see that there was something off with the rhythm this season.

Whatever the circumstances of this season may be. I fully believe we'll come firing Sunday.

My prayer is that Mcvay gets that wedding over with quickly and returns his focus. I'm not accusing him of wedding planning I just want the event to happen and he moves on - his face surely showed her was ready.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anyone who has worked in a place for a substantiated amount of time understands that rhythm is important.

I'm happy to know that Rams have a coach that is not only thinking about these things but is communicating them in a way that makes me think about my life.

Ebb and Flow was Mcvay's focus this year. It's been miserable to watch it unfold in the Rams season but I've also tried to apply it to myself - similar to 'we not me'

Collectively need to look at the down falls as opportunities to improve.

This team. Collectively. Top to Bottom. Will look to learn and improve.

Mcvay as the lead