McVay versus Shanahan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Shanahan doesn't look like a genius/guru right now at 1-7, and McVay is looking brilliant at 8-0.

It's a more nuanced discussion because most people thought these two were equivalent essentially but had a preference for one over the other. Both are bright young guys with innovative ideas on offense and bold play callers. I know there was discussion of the same type of "that guy is my guy" we had with Bradford and Suh, as well as Goff and Wentz. There was plenty of dialogue.

The difference?

McVay has a fantastic QB and a GM. Shanahan does not. The jury may still be out on Lynch but right now the Rams have a decisive edge here for sure. And so far even more so at QB at least in my opinion.

This creates a sort of perfect storm because I have always said the most important people on the team are the QB/OC/GM. We have all of those and to top it off they are at the beginning of their careers.

A star QB, and a guy designing and calling plays that is creative and aggressive, and a GM that is fearless, and a guy who knows how to manage the cap thoughtfully. I can't recall the Rams ever having this situation.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
OPOTY
DPOTY
Coach of the year

This year they can add GM of the year to the list

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I posted in another thread that the more Shanahan loses, the more difficult it's going to be regardless of injuries because it can steamroll as always being something. Now 49er fans will spin it and post "Now we can draft Bosa." , but as Ram fans we know for a fact, that gets old.

Shanahan was hired late, so he did not have the pick of Assistants, but right now they should be beating teams like Arizona & Oakland tonight, but again, nothing against Shanahan or John Lynch, but I hope they keep losing until they are fired.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think McVay is a better Leader, and that is very important in getting players to buy into the system. Both can call great plays, but they are not OCs, they are HCs, and as such must be leaders.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shanahan is a good coach with a good offensive mind. As good as McVay? I don't know... doubt it.. but it's kinda close.

That team's been ravished with injuries. It's impossible to judge Shanahan this year.

I still have this feeling that SF will become a fierce rival, like it used to be.

Unless... GrabMyPole isn't all he's being cracked up to be... which is very possible. If he ends up just being pedestrian? SF will fall back to mediocrity and they'll be stuck there for as long as they have the GrabMyPole albatross around their necks...

That was very stupid, based on a very small sample size.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shanahan was hired late, so he did not have the pick of Assistants, but right now they should be beating teams like Arizona & Oakland tonight, but again, nothing against Shanahan or John Lynch, but I hope they keep losing and are never fired.

FIFY.

I think McVay is a better Leader, and that is very important in getting players to buy into the system. Both can call great plays, but they are not OCs, they are HCs, and as such must be leaders.

I don't know if he is a better leader because there are so many things that go into being a leader. Without question he has an enthusiasm that is contagious and that certainly will get people to buy in more than a blander personality.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That is so true. He quickly identified what wasn't working, adjusted the players and scheme, and smoothly transitioned to something successful.

The best example for this is the offensive line, he didn't try to fix what wasn't broken, rather units by priority, and he clearly leads by example for the type of professionalism that is expected of his players. For all I know, Shannahan may well be the better OC, but McVay is clearly the better leader.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I wanted Shanahan. His offense in Atlanta was very impressive.

Same, just wanted someone to revamp our offense at that time considering how atrocious it was under Fisher. I still think Shanahan is the better play caller overall but McVay has talents beyond just play calling on offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some guys are more tactical than they are leaders of men. Shanny's like that, and so was his dad. McVay has better instincts and ability to grow on the leadership side, but he's also extremely good tactically. IMO they're not that close, as over time the leadership side becomes more and more important in sustaining the winning product.

Oh and btw if I had a vote the Coach of the year through half the season is Pete Carroll. He's done a great job of reloading that team and putting the fight back in them, and while their scheme allows for some plug and play of defenders with its simplicity it's showing what a good teacher and leader of the staff he is.

Re: CoY you can't keep giving it to the same dude. Which is why Belichick gets overlooked almost every year as it becomes ho-hum oh look the Rams are good again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Bears make the playoffs I think it will be Nagy.

Very possible. Lot of football to go so we'll see how things end up.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Shanahan is a good coach with a good offensive mind. As good as McVay? I don't know... doubt it.. but it's kinda close.

That team's been ravished with injuries. It's impossible to judge Shanahan this year.

I still have this feeling that SF will become a fierce rival, like it used to be.

Unless... GrabMyPole isn't all he's being cracked up to be... which is very possible. If he ends up just being pedestrian? SF will fall back to mediocrity and they'll be stuck there for as long as they have the GrabMyPole albatross around their necks...

That was very stupid, based on a very small sample size.

I think you mean ravaged....

I only know because I've read a few of the wife's pron....er..."romance" books and um...firstly...shame on all those old ladies at church buying them by the box load at church rummage sale and secondly... they use the word ravish...like...a lot.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you mean ravaged....

I only know because I've read a few of the wife's pron....er..."romance" books and um...firstly...shame on all those old ladies at church buying them by the box load at church rummage sale and secondly... they use the word ravish...like...a lot.
Doh! Yes, ravaged... although, by accident, I was actually not that far off:

Ravished: to seize and take away by violence

dang

Legend
10 Qualities of an effective leader - Checklist for McVay:
Honesty and Integrity - check
Confidence - check
Inspires Others - check
Commitment/Passion - check
Good Communicator - check
Decision-Making Capabilities - check
Accountability - check
Delegation/Empowerment - may have to work on that one a bit to avoid burn out
Creativity and Innovation - check
Empathy - check

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Some guys are more tactical than they are leaders of men. Shanny's like that, and so was his dad. McVay has better instincts and ability to grow on the leadership side, but he's also extremely good tactically. IMO they're not that close, as over time the leadership side becomes more and more important in sustaining the winning product.

Oh and btw if I had a vote the Coach of the year through half the season is Pete Carroll. He's done a great job of reloading that team and putting the fight back in them, and while their scheme allows for some plug and play of defenders with its simplicity it's showing what a good teacher and leader of the staff he is.

Re: CoY you can't keep giving it to the same dude. Which is why Belichick gets overlooked almost every year as it becomes ho-hum oh look the Rams are good again.
Merlin,
I totally agree with your assessment of the job P. Carroll is doing. I watched part of the SeaChix and Lions game this past week and had to turn it off as Seattle looked totally dominant on the Lions home field. They've got a solid run game and somehow Carroll has rebuilt a defense that has lost 5 or 6 starters.
At any rate let this be a warning to Rams fans in 2 weeks when we play the SeaChix at home. It ain't gonna be a walk in the park......and that's a fact.

~ArkyRamsFan~

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted Shanahan. His offense in Atlanta was very impressive.

Yeah it did impress..........with a top notch QB and GM putting talent on the roster.

If the Bears make the playoffs I think it will be Nagy.

In the AFC Anthony Lynn as he has turned the Chargers around and Andy Reid should get consideration too. Maybe he could be considered the frontrunner halfway through.

@Ken I was thinking the same thing about Gruden if the Redskins make the playoffs, I hadn't thought of Nagy. McVay would only get it if the Rams went 16-0 or 15-1.

Carroll hasn't beaten anyone that doesn't suck, so color me unimpressed.......so far anyway @Merlin and fuck him anyway. If he wins it I will puke.