McVay & the refs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing Sean really needs to start working on is his "ref game." IMO he is too good a dude with them, i.e. too easy, and it would benefit him to work them a bit more on the sidelines.

Case in point is Aaron Donald. Dude gets held on every play. Making them continuously aware of that would probably result in some non-calls becoming calls, and yesterday there were some noteworthy ones that did not get called.

Anyway, I of course like the rest of you have only the highest regard for our young HC. But this is an area in which he can improve I think.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
One thing Sean really needs to start working on is his "ref game." IMO he is too good a dude with them, i.e. too easy, and it would benefit him to work them a bit more on the sidelines.

Case in point is Aaron Donald. Dude gets held on every play. Making them continuously aware of that would probably result in some non-calls becoming calls, and yesterday there were some noteworthy ones that did not get called.

Anyway, I of course like the rest of you have only the highest regard for our young HC. But this is an area in which he can improve I think.
I agree with you 100%

HellRam

Starter
I actually think the Rams have been alot more lucky with the refs. Especially of late.

I'll never forget the way the refs use to screw us over, particularly when the Rams were in the Lou. That game vs the Cowboys when Austin Davis was starting was a win that was literally taken from us by the refs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

they didn't have a problem spotting holds by the rams oline in their second last drive. they must have called at least 5 of them.

that's why refs are such bullshit merchants.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually think the Rams have been alot more lucky with the refs. Especially of late.

I'll never forget the way the refs use to screw us over, particularly when the Rams were in the Lou. That game vs the Cowboys when Austin Davis was starting was a win that was literally taken from us by the refs.

Ironically enough Fisher had the same problem, but he had that whole "I'm competition committee so not going to say an effin word to the refs ever because I have a deeper understanding of what they're dealing with" type thing goin on. Which irritated me to no end btw, as they continued to bend him and thus all of us and the Rams over every single game, figuratively speaking of course lol.

Workin the refs is one of those top of the pyramid skills for head coaches. And there's no one way to do it, I mean I wouldn't want McVay to take the Asshole Face whiny crybaby act for example. But I do think Parcells was a master at it, using sarcasm and timely reminders to them, and Belichick is just as good in his own understated way.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This isn't just an issue with the Rams, Refs are doing this to other teams all over the league. They are so focused with personal fouls and protecting the QB a lot of stuff gets missed. As far as the holding calls are concerned it really works both ways we got caught a couple times yesterday and there were times when we didn't. It happens to every team. I wouldn't put too much thought into it because we're going to have times when it goes our way and others when it doesn't.

HellRam

Starter
Ironically enough Fisher had the same problem, but he had that whole "I'm competition committee so not going to say an effin word to the refs ever because I have a deeper understanding of what they're dealing with" type thing goin on. Which irritated me to no end btw, as they continued to bend him and thus all of us and the Rams over every single game, figuratively speaking of course lol.

Workin the refs is one of those top of the pyramid skills for head coaches. And there's no one way to do it, I mean I wouldn't want McVay to take the Asshole Face whiny crybaby act for example. But I do think Parcells was a master at it, using sarcasm and timely reminders to them, and Belichick is just as good in his own understated way.

I agree with your premise for sure. I'm just glad the Rams are not getting crapped on every week like days of old.

The NFL really does have officiating problem though.

TexasRam

Legend
I find it a breath of fresh air that he doesn’t spend his time on the sidelines crying about every call or non call.

i don’t mind him however going to the refs before the game and mentioning the Donald lack of calls.

i think some angles may be hard for refs to see and there is more going on then Aaron Donald each play, so they are going to miss some of these.

He is getting held a lot, so
maybe be selective and let them know when it’s a big game. The complaint has more weight when it’s not every single game during the game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Aren't these Refs full time Refs now?

Nope. Only a few.

Apparently, they're considering phasing them in.

As much as I want to believe that this game is legit, there are moments where the conspiracy groups have a point.

Why does the NFL sweat what the Refs think so much? Why does the NFL bend over backwards to appease the Refs union?

They quickly ended the replacement refs after a few games because they were starting to do a decent job. Which only adds fuel to the fire that some refs are in cahoots with the league office to guide games. Doesn't always work because there are fumbles, interceptions, etc.

There is literally NO REASON why the refs shouldn't be full-time employees, why the refs shouldn't have backup in New York for EVERY call (note: I said backup, not second-guessing0, and why the refs don't have a publicly available matrix for grading ref performance.

Well, no reason unless there's shenanigans afoot...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
With the referee only job to protect the QB its no wonder the dont call enough holding. Also I saw a play where whitworth was basically hugging a defender he was blocking. So, we start complaining about the no calls against us and it might end up back firing. Donald has to fight thru and make them even more obvious. If he keeps making the same move and gets held the same way (like quin did) then it's time to do something different.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
This would be Wade Phillips job, and a coach with his reputation the refs would be more apt to listen to him. Plus his experience would help help him to convey exactly what is happening.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw Coach McVay chatting up a ref and being friendly before the game at about the 30 yard line. So, he may have his own style which might work magic in other ways. Sometimes nice guys do finish first.