McVay talks changes?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
They're not going to blow up the team.

That's just not their style.
Nor should it be the style of a franchise that plans on being back in the Super Bowl in the next year or two.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
How about firing Coen and Morris, to begin with? Time to try Thomas Brown as OC. If people think Coen hasn't changed the offense go back and compare this offense since 2018 and you will see Coen is playing a very bland standard offense. No imagination, no innovation. It's something every team has seen so it's way too easy for them to defend.

Brown has been on this staff long enough to understand its strengths and weaknesses. They have seen the innovative style that used to be McVay's offense. This stale puke of an offense is pure BS and IMO is pure Coen. The offense has never been this bad even when they had Goff and a bad OL in 2019. If Sean is going to make changes it must start with his staff or the players will see it's all on them with no staff accountability.

Another very experienced option for OC is Greg Olson. He might not be the best option, but he's seen it all. He understands what it takes to jump start a stale offense. My point being is that the Rams do have internal options.

Morris showed he can play the defense aggressively so why the hell doesn't he do it? He did it in the playoffs but now he's back to his good enough style of prevent as his base. Sorry, it ain't good enough. People cherry-pick the stats to try to prove he's good enough. But this last game showed just how bad he is. I think it's time to bring in some fresh thinking.

I think it's time to quit holding back a rising star on the defensive staff. Eric Henderson is the reason the only successful part of the defense is the DL. He is a big reason AD is who he is. Henderson has earned the respect of the players. AD's ability to move anywhere on the DL didn't just happen. Henderson was a big part of Staley's success. He knows how to use the defensive personnel.

Time to bench Kendrick who keeps showing he lacks the speed and quickness to play outside in the NFL. Time to give Rochell his starting position opposite Ramsey. I think Lewis has shown all he can be which is not enough as a starter. I'd rather see Jonah Williams or Hoecht at DE. Both have the strength and speed lacking in Lewis. It's clear Lewis' injury has affected his explosion just like it did with Akers. Lewis has not shown the same kind of explosive style of play he did in college.

Regarding the OL I think it's time to mine the FA list. There are guys like Fred Johnson and Deonte Brown who are better than Evans and who have experience. IMO either one can come in and be a serviceable replacement. This OL just needs to be serviceable, i.e. it needs to quit allowing quick pressure on passing downs and understand blocking fundamentals in the run game. Fix the OL and Stafford will quit being gun shy.

Time to activate Kyren Williams. They let Michel walk because of Williams. Well, it's time to get the kid on the field behind Henderson. Time to either play either Jared Pinkley or Roger Carter as a lead blocker. Time to play 12 personnel to extend the OL and take some pressure off of the OL.

Time to shuffle the OL and start:

LT Nsekhe
LG Jackson
C Allen
RG Fred Johnson or Deonte Brown/ or some other OG signed off of a PS or UFA list
RT Havenstein

McVay needs to go back and use the pass to set up the run. Sean needs to scheme his WRs back into their layered system with a quick dump off option via TE, or FB.

McVay needs to do more than just lip service to making changes. IMO that means changes start at the staff level. With internal promotions, it means less disruption. Return to what worked with Staley and his combo zone/man scheme. Use a lead blocker as an extension of the blocking scheme in the run game.
I wrote essentially the same on a thread I started. Very well thought out.

Biggest key to having teeth is for McVay to be dead serious and come in with substantial changes not small little incremental like last week with RB coach last year helping out current RB coach.

Start with Evans needs to be cut period to get the cancer out of the building. He shows no will or heart. After 3 years in the same system it shows he is coasting and deserves what he gets he doesn't try hard enough to be the best that is what all the Rams need to do. No more Evans types in the building.

Agree with new OC need a big name not just a name.

It is not some monumental announcement but it should be trying out FAs as suggested (Eric Fisher still available others as well) there has to be 1 or 2 better than we have. Beg OBJ back.

Keep more in to block give Stafford the time with a clean pocket his arm will do the rest.

Biggest question is when will we see this group of changes?

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
well the bright spot here is that i don't think we will lose any coaches this year

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Should McVay fire himself?
No but as you agreed with me in another thread he should give over play calling to Coen and coach the team not direct the offense. No sarcasm needed as many have agreed with this thinking.

Tano

Legend
No but as you agreed with me in another thread he should give over play calling to Coen and coach the team not direct the offense. No sarcasm needed as many have agreed with this thinking.
I was just messing with you.

Sometimes I use blue font for facetiousness.

I know I know - I should have used some sort of emoji

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
imho we have been doing the same things so long that other teams could use the same game plan they used last year. would it help to try some different things so other teams have to at least take time to install a game plan. some of the things i would like to see us try is instead of two tight ends at times bring in two ol men maybe even an ol or dl man at fullback. we should be using roll out way more. on df we should at least have a package where ramsey fallows their best receiver and plays him in bump and run. have another package where everyone plays up tight and we blitz this could cause some long plays but it could cause some turn overs or sacks. imho i think we at least need to give the other team something new to think about.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
First foremost Bobby Evans hast to be replaced ASAP with anyone you probably be better playing 4 lineman just get rid of him one thing for sure he sucks at guard like one of the worst I've ever seen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as McVay's play calling, I'm not sure what he can do with this line and below average running backs. I'm not sure anyone could do anything with that.

But if you want to lay some blame on him, its thinking their in house replacements for Whitworth and Corbett were good enough. Its thinking they didn't need to draft linemen early in the previous drafts. That is where McVay and Snead both should share the blame.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
As far as McVay's play calling, I'm not sure what he can do with this line and below average running backs. I'm not sure anyone could do anything with that.

But if you want to lay some blame on him, its thinking their in house replacements for Whitworth and Corbett were good enough. Its thinking they didn't need to draft linemen early in the previous drafts. That is where McVay and Snead both should share the blame.
This offensive line could have been completely healthy and it still would have failed. McVay, Snead and Carberry the offensive line coach all signed off on a line that was much weaker than the previous years offensive line that couldn’t run the ball either. On defense Morris has failed to develop draft picks like Rochelle and Burgess and instead rolls out a 6th round rookie Kendricks and a multi season bust in Taylor Rapp.

MachS

Hall of Fame
What did people expect when the OL got decimated? We have no run game and no pass blocking. We cannot play with a lead which is why our defense looks horrible. We have a bottom 3 pass rush. This team is terrible and the writing has been on the wall for a while. Losing Von, OBJ, and Whit, plus multiple other starting OL has made this team unwatchable. The season is done, first losing season under McVay 100%. But we’ll regroup and attack next year with picks and a higher cap. Injury luck just did us in and is impossible to overcome. It’s not the end of the world I mean we just won the SB for fucks sake.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
What did people expect when the OL got decimated? We have no run game and no pass blocking. We cannot play with a lead which is why our defense looks horrible. We have a bottom 3 pass rush. This team is terrible and the writing has been on the wall for a while. Losing Von, OBJ, and Whit, plus multiple other starting OL has made this team unwatchable. The season is done, first losing season under McVay 100%. But we’ll regroup and attack next year with picks and a higher cap. Injury luck just did us in and is impossible to overcome. It’s not the end of the world I mean we just won the SB for fucks sake.

Well, with that same Oline, McVay has been calling the same plays. He has kept Evans in and never....EVER changes his game style no matter who we play or under what circumstances.

If we fix the line and get a stud RB....weeeeee hooooooo it will be fantastic! (Unfortunately, that may take a different coach).

fearsomefour

Legend
That falls apart in the 4th quarter
That crazy Falcons game....if Mariotta was quicker with seeing things that wouldn't have been a jump ball that Ramsey picked. The WR was open in a window.....Im going off memory, so, if Im wrong......no one say anything.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't think McVay is firing anyone....I think he is talking more about some different sort of play designs and running the ball more.
I don't have faith in McVay ability to stick with a running game or a running back.
Henderson won't be confused with a top tier back but there is zero reason Akers should be getting more than a couple of reps to spell Henderson and Brown shouldn't have a role except as an emergency depth.

fearsomefour

Legend
It would be interesting if someone took over play calling for a couple of games to see if it sparked anything positive. I can't see McVay giving up control of that however.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As I said elsewhere on a thread somewhere, next year is not the year to work the comp pick formula. Sign some free agents if you can, especially for the OL and rebuild that part of the team.

Rebuilding the OL was the first thing McVay did when he came to the Rams and it paid huge dividends.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Well, with that same Oline, McVay has been calling the same plays. He has kept Evans in and never....EVER changes his game style no matter who we play or under what circumstances.

If we fix the line and get a stud RB....weeeeee hooooooo it will be fantastic! (Unfortunately, that may take a different coach).
JFC man :laugh4:

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our offense sucks, so let's fire the DC. You know what happens when the offense is not producing? Let me clarify. When the run game isn't producing. The D has more snaps and stays on the filed longer. It doesn't matter much until the fourth quarter, when they are run down and tired after being on the field for the whole game. It's not Morris's fault that the offense is not producing.

Tano

Legend
Our offense sucks, so let's fire the DC. You know what happens when the offense is not producing? Let me clarify. When the run game isn't producing. The D has more snaps and stays on the filed longer. It doesn't matter much until the fourth quarter, when they are run down and tired after being on the field for the whole game. It's not Morris's fault that the offense is not producing.
That would be the case if the defense was on the field longer than the offense but the TOP battles have been fairly even thru 3 quarters of each game. There is no reason for the defense to be tired going into the 4th quarter. But again I do not want to fire Morris. I just want him to realize - Hey - we can be aggressive with this personnel - let's stick with a mixture of aggressive vs soft zone defense thru-out the entire game instead of going 100% soft zone in the 4th qtr.