McVay shows little interest in combine. Henderson injures?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
The combine is mostly bullshit so don’t really care. But you’d think they’d at least send a couple scouts or Snead. The interviews are probably the only relevant part of it just to get a feel for a guys attitude.
First I’m hearing about Henderson had fought injuries all season. He was never on an injury report I don’t think... at least not the whole year.

View: https://twitter.com/mikesilver/status/1230202331372933121?s=21

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought they were sending people, just not the new coordinators, who are going to be busy - but the positional coaches were going still.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Interesting with Gurley trade talks again ?
Snead & scouts are being trusted as well as postion coaches

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
lol, I forgot the combine is coming up.

It's pretty obvious that ever since the rookie scale, teams don't seems to overthink the draft like fans and media do.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Henderson got hurt late in the season. He should be ready to go by mini camp.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The combine is mostly bullshit so don’t really care. But you’d think they’d at least send a couple scouts or Snead. The interviews are probably the only relevant part of it just to get a feel for a guys attitude.
First I’m hearing about Henderson had fought injuries all season. He was never on an injury report I don’t think... at least not the whole year.

View: https://twitter.com/mikesilver/status/1230202331372933121?s=21

All that says is that the coordinators are not going and McVay isn’t staying long. The combine is an opportunity to interview players, the position coaches and Snead will be there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sounds good to me. The major problems lie with scheme evolution over personnel/talent/depth here anyway, IMO.

Rams need to come out of the gates with a new or at least far more diverse attack scheme on O.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds good to me. The major problems lie with scheme evolution over personnel/talent/depth here anyway, IMO.

Rams need to come out of the gates with a new or at least far more diverse attack scheme on O.

Please have higbee and Everett on the field together. The cheats scored over 500 points three years in the row between 2010 and 2012. They drafted the wanna be gangsta in 2010. He and gronk ripped apart defenses together.

You know who else had only managed that feat? The gsot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

That Da ages back to the Super Bowl. The League caught up to Mcvay. The Rams really didn’t have an OC either.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just a thought about new Oc & DC
Staying back. How much is it X&O’s vs.
maybe just evaluating there own players
& fits for say FA’s ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A few very interesting things here IMO...

First, urgent (which Silver uses irt McVay) is a good word for the way Sean seemed in that introductory press conference. I mentioned this in the other thread, usually he's more laid back in the postseason, but he just had an energy that I felt was quite high for even him. Seems to me that he is hell bent on fixing some of the things we discussed in electronic Ramsdom, like lazy route combinations and some iffy run schemes all of which were anticipated and prepared for by opponents in 2019. I'm really glad to hear that they're hunkering down and rebuilding their schematic approach and I am sure nuking where they went wrong last season to move forward. Also I would guess they'll adopt some of the run game nuances the 9ers use to maybe even include more FB usage and yes that might mean a backfield addition and/or introduction of Mundt on more plays.

Gurley rumors coming from Silver need to be paid attention to IMO. He does have a great relationship with Sean. That said I doubt Gurley was a distraction in the locker room, I doubt he was showing attitude with the coaches and whatnot that would be required for the Rams to cut him and eat the extra cap space. So chances are these rumors stem from him being a disappointment in his potency with fewer carries in the first half of the season in particular.

Henderson being injured or dinged up demonstrates once again what many here have been saying about the depth options in that RB room being a disappointment. Right now where the Rams are wrt that room: they need a guy who can carry the load. If Gurley misses significant time then what? Yeah, RB is a need dudes. Particularly a guy who has shown he can take carries and be depended on to be available which Brown certainly cannot. Do they roll the dice on Hendy? Maybe but I feel like we'll see a RB added which is easily done in this draft.

Ram65

Legend
I would like to be in those meetings with McVay and the new coordinators. Who knows what they will come up with but, I think they will be successful with new variations of offense and defense.

I can't see Rams trading Gurley while cutting him is nonsense. Brown runs too hard for his own good. Henderson has a bright future. Not many resources to get a just in case running back.

oldnotdead

Legend
A professional NFL scout told me years ago that a coach can see by the game film all he needs to see in terms of talent. Taylor Rapp is a prime example of that type of scouting. He fell in the draft because of his poor running times. But having watched him his whole career at UW I could see he was one of those rare talents that plays much faster than his timed speed. Why? Because of his outstanding vision and awareness. His anticipation allows him to get a jump, and that comes from intense film study of the opposition.

So McVay has said that film study will be the primary gauge of a player's talent. Personally I think it's an outstanding way to evaluate talent. How many times have we seen workout warriors destroy the combine and pro days and fail in the NFL. The bust rate for positions like QB, and o-line in the first round is huge.

The other advantage is it hides his draft from other teams. It's impossible for them to anticipate what the Rams will do. I will take a baller over a workout warrior any day. Reeder went UDFA route to the Rams but even during the draft process, I saw a kid that can simply play. It's why during TC he's one of the guys I mentioned in a post not to go to sleep on. He's actually exactly what you want in a two-down MIKE and why his emergence last year is going to allow them to let Littleton walk. I say two-down but he's capable of playing passing downs, but with a rotation of ILBs Reeder, Young, Howard & Kiser they have very good speed at the position with a solid rotation.

I can easily see Reeder and Kiser at MIKE and Young and Howard at MO. The highest drafted LB was Young a 4th round pick by Baltimore. Guys like these are the guys that you find on film. Then you factor in the physical metrics and combine and proday tests results and you thin the field for more vetting and focus.

In this draft one of their priorities will be a DE and WIL to play behind Ogbo and Fowler. After that other than a kicker, the rest are back up rotational guys particularly on the D-line.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Well.... we don't pick, unless we make a move, till #52. That could factor in.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
A professional NFL scout told me years ago that a coach can see by the game film all he needs to see in terms of talent. Taylor Rapp is a prime example of that type of scouting. He fell in the draft because of his poor running times.
These sentences contradict each other. If scouts, coaches, etc. can see the talent a player has by watching game film, Taylor Rapp never should have "fell" in the draft because of his 40 time.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If I had to put my money on it with Gurley, I bet he takes a small haircut on his salary and stays. Not a restructure but actually gives up some salary.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Maybe but I feel like we'll see a RB added which is easily done in this draft.
They could go that route but i'd lean towards bringing in another vet like they did in '18 with CJ.

Some old but interesting names out there.
LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore(who is chasing Walter Payton & Emmitt Smith), Chris Thompson(who played for McV in WASH).

I wonder where Carlos Hyde ends up. Just spitballing here, but with Henderson who needs to develop...i think a vet RB could be the way to go. Maybe that vet pushes Gurley into another good season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They could go that route but i'd lean towards bringing in another vet like they did in '18 with CJ.

Some old but interesting names out there.
LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore(who is chasing Walter Payton & Emmitt Smith), Chris Thompson(who played for McV in WASH).

I wonder where Carlos Hyde ends up. Just spitballing here, but with Henderson who needs to develop...i think a vet RB could be the way to go. Maybe that vet pushes Gurley into another good season.
I'd do backflips if they brought in CJ. He is still a really nice fit for that SR type role in this offense.

But yeah I think all options are on the table. The Rams are definitely going to add to that room just a question of how.