McVay not committing to Cam Akers being Rams' workhorse RB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Sean McVay not committing to Cam Akers being Rams' workhorse RB
ee8362655849468ca49b0c2acdb19446.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

December 11, 2020 3:37 pm
For the majority of this season, the Los Angeles Rams have utilized a true committee approach at running back. Some weeks, Darrell Henderson got the bulk of the touches. Others, it was Malcolm Brown doing the heavy lifting.
Cam Akers was typically the odd man out, seeing very limited playing time in the first half of the season. However, that’s changed in a big way the last two games. He carried it 21 times in Week 13 against the Cardinals, and then on Thursday night against the Patriots, he was handed the ball 29 times and gained 171 yards.

It was a pleasant surprise to see Akers get such a big workload, especially for those who started him in their fantasy playoffs. But it may not be a trend that continues each week. Sean McVay was non-committal on Akers being the workhorse back moving forward, saying the Rams still want to use Henderson and Brown.
“I think you still want to be able to utilize those guys. I think Malcolm and Darrell are both very valuable parts of what we do,” he said Friday. “It was Cam’s night last night. I do think Cam is capable of that, but as far as how we move forward, I think what’s important for us is capitalizing on all the different playmakers that we do have. Certainly, Cam did a great job last night, but that doesn’t mean that you won’t see opportunities for Darrell and Malcolm moving forward because both of those players have done a lot of really good things that have been helpful in our success as a team. So, very pleased. I think we know Cam is capable of that, but to say that we would commit to that approach, I don’t necessarily think that’s the exact thing that we’re thinking. I think we’re really pleased with Cam and not surprised though.”
There is obviously plenty of coach speak in that response from McVay, so as not to tip his hand. He shouldn’t be expected to come out and divulge what the Rams’ plan is exactly, which may give upcoming opponents a competitive advantage.
Henderson has earned at least a handful of touches each week, too. After all, he was the No. 1 running back according to Pro Football Focus earlier in the season when he was getting most of the carries.
McVay is well aware of the skill sets that Brown and Henderson possess, and the way they can create mismatches on offense in their specific roles. For that reason, McVay wants to keep the offense “multiple” and force defenses to adapt without being able to focus solely on one runner.
“He was the hot hand,” McVay said of Akers. “I think you guys have seen it, last night that approach worked for us, but we’ve seen games each of the last, really over the last month, where all three of those guys have gotten involved and that’s been really good for our offense as well. So, I think the more multiple and the more versatile that you can be and really take advantage of the playmakers that we do have offensively, I think that’s our job as coaches. Then sometimes, you guys have heard me say this going back to even training camp, each game there could be a different approach in a lot of that is predicated on the feel for the flow of the game. Last night Cam got into a rhythm right away and we kind of just felt like he was the hot hand and decided to go with that. It was a real positive for our team last night.”
Fantasy owners will have a close eye on everything McVay says about Akers leading up to Week 15 against the Jets, especially with it being such a favorable matchup for the Rams’ running backs. His comments Friday threw cold water on the idea of Akers being a workhorse, but again, that could simply be him not wanting to tip his hand to opponents.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
No offense to Mcvay, but after Akers had a game like that he has to be RB1. Just my opinion

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cameron DaSilva

For the majority of this season, the Los Angeles Rams have utilized a true committee approach at running back. Some weeks, Darrell Henderson got the bulk of the touches. Others, it was Malcolm Brown doing the heavy lifting.
Cam Akers was typically the odd man out, seeing very limited playing time in the first half of the season. However, that’s changed in a big way the last two games. He carried it 21 times in Week 13 against the Cardinals, and then on Thursday night against the Patriots, he was handed the ball 29 times and gained 171 yards.

It was a pleasant surprise to see Akers get such a big workload, especially for those who started him in their fantasy playoffs. But it may not be a trend that continues each week. Sean McVay was non-committal on Akers being the workhorse back moving forward, saying the Rams still want to use Henderson and Brown.
“I think you still want to be able to utilize those guys. I think Malcolm and Darrell are both very valuable parts of what we do,” he said Friday. “It was Cam’s night last night. I do think Cam is capable of that, but as far as how we move forward, I think what’s important for us is capitalizing on all the different playmakers that we do have. Certainly, Cam did a great job last night, but that doesn’t mean that you won’t see opportunities for Darrell and Malcolm moving forward because both of those players have done a lot of really good things that have been helpful in our success as a team. So, very pleased. I think we know Cam is capable of that, but to say that we would commit to that approach, I don’t necessarily think that’s the exact thing that we’re thinking. I think we’re really pleased with Cam and not surprised though.”
There is obviously plenty of coach speak in that response from McVay, so as not to tip his hand. He shouldn’t be expected to come out and divulge what the Rams’ plan is exactly, which may give upcoming opponents a competitive advantage.
Henderson has earned at least a handful of touches each week, too. After all, he was the No. 1 running back according to Pro Football Focus earlier in the season when he was getting most of the carries.
McVay is well aware of the skill sets that Brown and Henderson possess, and the way they can create mismatches on offense in their specific roles. For that reason, McVay wants to keep the offense “multiple” and force defenses to adapt without being able to focus solely on one runner.
“He was the hot hand,” McVay said of Akers. “I think you guys have seen it, last night that approach worked for us, but we’ve seen games each of the last, really over the last month, where all three of those guys have gotten involved and that’s been really good for our offense as well. So, I think the more multiple and the more versatile that you can be and really take advantage of the playmakers that we do have offensively, I think that’s our job as coaches. Then sometimes, you guys have heard me say this going back to even training camp, each game there could be a different approach in a lot of that is predicated on the feel for the flow of the game. Last night Cam got into a rhythm right away and we kind of just felt like he was the hot hand and decided to go with that. It was a real positive for our team last night.”
Fantasy owners will have a close eye on everything McVay says about Akers leading up to Week 15 against the Jets, especially with it being such a favorable matchup for the Rams’ running backs. His comments Friday threw cold water on the idea of Akers being a workhorse, but again, that could simply be him not wanting to tip his hand to opponents.
Would love to see Henderson on some Jet Sweeps and pitches.
As good as Akers looked Henderson is a big play machine that can only make this
run game better.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No offense to Mcvay, but after Akers had a game like that he has to be RB1. Just my opinion
I think what McVay was saying was just to keep Brown and Hendo happy.
I'm sure Akers will be leading back in this attack.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
McVay sees what we see. If Akers keeps playing like that, he gets the majority of carries.

But they all stay peppy, as McVay mixes them all carries.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
From a strategic standpoint there's no good reason to announce a feature back when you've been successful using a committee.

IMO he'll continue with matchups and the hot guy.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Yea and "there's nothing wrong with Todd Gurley's knee." Why would McVay ever give a competitive advantage to a defense when it comes to preparation? It's common sense folks.

Akers is by far the most talented RB on this roster and he will get majority of the touches going forward as long as he's healthy, regardless of what McVay says to the media.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I could see McVay playing Brown and Hendo more towards the last two games in an attempt to keep Ackers healthy for the playoffs.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Cameron DaSilva

Translation from Coachspeak to English: "Damn straight Cam is the man!! but please don't quote me."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is a jedi master of coachspeak. Look at his actions i.e. the carries. The only thing that might limit Akers' carries would be concern to ensure he's fresh for the playoffs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fresh?

He's hardly touched the ball till the last two weeks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No reason to and I'm glad he's not doing it.

TexasRam

Legend
I love how Akers was listed with a shoulder and there were questions about his availability leading up to the game.

177 yards later when asked about his reported shoulder injury Akers smiled and said " What Shoulder?".

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Obviously I love Cam Akers and think he was a great pick but I don't understand why he doesn't use the straight arm.

He had two great opportunities to pick up a few extra yards and wipe the defensive player out against the Patriots but he just ran out of bounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Fresh?

He's hardly touched the ball till the last two weeks.

Talking about the playoffs. If he comes out hot vs NY and Seattle it becomes a management deal where the staff should be careful to ensure they are keeping carries mixed still to limit chances of injury.

Just don't want to see us overplay that ace we are holding. He already suffered some injury in limited usage and he is aggressive in his style in contact.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Obviously I love Cam Akers and think he was a great pick but I don't understand why he doesn't use the straight arm.

He had two great opportunities to pick up a few extra yards and wipe the defensive player out against the Patriots but he just ran out of bounds.
He used it in college so I'm guessing its probably related to the rib injury he suffered earlier this year. He said there's nothing wrong with his shoulder but who knows.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
In their young careers, both Akers and Henderson are already showing a real propensity to get banged up, and neither seems particularly well built physically to be a bell cow like Gurley was. I think running back by committee suits this group perfectly. Keep them both healthy and fresh, and ride the hot hand. They also compliment each other well, with Henderson having breakaway speed that Akers does not.

I am surprised so many are writing off Henderson just because he has been quiet for a few weeks. He was incredible early this season, and justifiably, among the NFL's top graded RBs by PFF at that point. Sadly, he's been knicked up since. Hopefully, this group can stay healthy. Other than durability concerns, I really like this RB cadre.