McVay Interview with Peter King about Super Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
This video doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention, but some pretty good stuff. It's about 27 minutes long, so grab a beer for this one.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I know we all say it, but man, our coach is one smart and sharp dude! Thank god we got him! The future is bright!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That whole "train capacity over capability" thing was really intriguing. I think it kinda reinforces the theory I had for the need of smart players in a complex system as opposed to just physical playmaker-types. I really don't think the Wonderlic is a good measure for that stuff, so I guess the interview process includes something that addresses what he's looking for in that regard. Maybe problem-solving questions or something that shows the ability for a player to learn and adapt on his own.

McVay (and Snead) does a nice job of mixing in smart and savvy veterans to take on a leadership and mentoring role with some of these youthful players who *absolutely do NOT* have the understanding of what it means to apply what they're taught to *all* situations (yet). Which leads me to my third point.

The ONE thing this Organization has been missing for years and years and years is the development of one (AND ONLY ONE) system that can be hammered home season after season and be used as a baseline for muscle memory, football IQ, and playbook expansion. Changing that up all the time is nonsensical and counterproductive to player development, and I - for one - am glad to see that's over. As much as it pains me to say it, this is the primary reason why the patriots are so successful.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Thanks so much for sharing this, I missed it in my Rams "feed" somehow.

Does anybody else ever worry about how candid and open McVay is about everything? I mean it's not that, that's all part of the greatness about him. I guess I mean does anyone else worry about how obviously other coaches around the league are getting all the blueprints--that make McVay special--to copy, right out in the open?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There are so many great things about McVay and how he goes about his business. But I think my favorite thing is how he has installed a culture where everyone looks honestly at their failures and weaknesses in game results and move forward trying to correct them to get better. IMO there are a lot of teams that don't have that and the Patriots have always done that from the moment Belichick came aboard.

Also I love that he's plugged in with Vermiel as a mentor. Because IMO he is a young version of him, with a ton of similarities.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That whole "train capacity over capability" thing was really intriguing. I think it kinda reinforces the theory I had for the need of smart players in a complex system as opposed to just physical playmaker-types. I really don't think the Wonderlic is a good measure for that stuff, so I guess the interview process includes something that addresses what he's looking for in that regard. Maybe problem-solving questions or something that shows the ability for a player to learn and adapt on his own.

McVay (and Snead) does a nice job of mixing in smart and savvy veterans to take on a leadership and mentoring role with some of these youthful players who *absolutely do NOT* have the understanding of what it means to apply what they're taught to *all* situations (yet). Which leads me to my third point.

The ONE thing this Organization has been missing for years and years and years is the development of one (AND ONLY ONE) system that can be hammered home season after season and be used as a baseline for muscle memory, football IQ, and playbook expansion. Changing that up all the time is nonsensical and counterproductive to player development, and I - for one - am glad to see that's over. As much as it pains me to say it, this is the primary reason why the patriots are so successful.
Dude, I'm sure glad you decided to open the door and come in for a while, instead of just turning the knob!

IMG}
]View: https://i.imgur.com/ovq097X.gif[/IMG]

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

Does anybody else ever worry about how candid and open McVay is about everything? I mean it's not that, that's all part of the greatness about him. I guess I mean does anyone else worry about how obviously other coaches around the league are getting all the blueprints--that make McVay special--to copy, right out in the open?
Nah. The Patriots have been doing the same thing for 20 years. Nobody has been able to replicate it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What is really interesting is that quarters tends to give up the underneath routes which one would think we could take all day long. And this, IMO, is where the absence of Kupp's ability to get open so quickly was taken advantage of (I am of the mind beating them underneath was required due to the quick pressure they were getting). Add Kupp to that offense and I feel like the Patriots would have been forced to adjust to their second defensive gameplan.

But anyway. Speaking of quarters coverage and how it gave us probs last season starting with the Bears, here's a vid on attacking it. Of course there are endless wrinkles when you talk about quarters (I really like Saban's version) and lots of internet experts weighing in, but the key is that it's a zone underneath with man responsibility at the top which does fit much of what this vid discusses in terms of how to attack its weaknesses.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFf69-N9B8

I'd really love to hear McVay answer the question of "if you could draw up a gameplan again for the Super Bowl, what would your plan be to force the Patriots to adjust in the passing game?" I know he wouldn't go deep on the X's and O's but it would be nice to hear his answer, given the near-instant pressure the Rams faced from the Patriots' front.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Nah. The Patriots have been doing the same thing for 20 years. Nobody has been able to replicate it.

But isn't Belichick notoriously cryptic, of few words, and tightlipped? That's pretty much the opposite of this McVay phenomenon.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
But isn't Belichick notoriously cryptic, of few words, and tightlipped? That's pretty much the opposite of this McVay phenomenon.
Actually I think McVay says very little with a lot of words. If you listen he repeats the same thing over and over but just in a different way. It’s actually quite genius.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Actually I think McVay says very little with a lot of words. If you listen he repeats the same thing over and over but just in a different way. It’s actually quite genius.

Very true. I try to never miss a presser or interview, and he does reuse certain phrases regularly.(y) Edit: But damn they're good ones.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This video doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention, but some pretty good stuff. It's about 27 minutes long, so grab a beer for this one.

What's with the production quality?

Did King's kid shoot this on his camcorder?

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's with the production quality?

Did King's kid shoot this on his camcorder?

I think it was just for the interview to help him remember what McVay said, and they decided to release the entire thing.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I'm not worried at all.

If being exposed to some knowledge were enough, then the Belichick coaching tree would be creating dynasties... they aren't.

Knowing what McVay does doesn't show how. And some of it is just the magic that is McVay as an individual.

Two people with two talent sets can do the same thing with wildly different results.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think it was just for the interview to help him remember what McVay said, and they decided to release the entire thing.

Yeah, I could see with McVay's long detailed answers it was easier to just see it to get the full effect. It would take a week for King to capture all of that in an article.