McVay/Goff post-game presser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wow.. look at the expressions on both faces on the press conference video links.
Those 2 random freeze frames say it all.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The comments on the McVay video... no joke, some of the fans comments are more embarrassing than the game.

What I love (loved?) about ROD is that unlike other sports forums, this isnt a place for bitchy nancies who trash our team or coaches just because a couple games go wrong.
Seriously, that shit is so embarrassing to me.... stand up for your team or get a new one ffs. The eagles fans trash talking the Rams should be told to fuck off, not have Rams fans help. Its gross. Why spend time hating on something you choose to enjoy/endure?

I swear to God, not only have they forgotten all of our games before Detroit, they apparently have forgotten the last decade preceeding it.

Young team, young QB, young HC.
If you are pissed because you thought it would be easy, or there wouldnt be learning curves and bumps in the road, its your fault for believing the highest hype... now its all worst case scenarios? So overdramatic.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I love (loved?) about ROD is that unlike other sports forums, this isnt a place for bitchy nancies who trash our team or coaches just because a couple games go wrong.

Except in the weekly GDT. :mrburns:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
So true.. but I dont think it used to be this bad... maybe I am wrong.

When the Rams were losing there was little expectation that things would change so apathy and sarcasm ruled. But since McVay took over the expectations went through the roof. So when things don't go well, especially three games in a row, the shrieking "torches and pitchforks crowd" shows up in the GDT.

What I find interesting is that those types tend to show up only during the GDT and contribute next to nothing during the week.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What I find interesting is that those types tend to show up only during the GDT and contribute next to nothing during the week.

I can't really remember seeing much of them in the GDT during any of our good games this year either...

fearsomefour

Legend
So true.. but I dont think it used to be this bad... maybe I am wrong.
Depends.
I got scolded more than once for being "too negative". Although at that time it was hard to be anything else.
It's a thin line. Being negative and nasty just because the team lost.....and people saying dumb things.....gets old.
Then again, rose colored glasses gets old also.
Overall the balance is maintained very well I think.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Depends.
I got scolded more than once for being "too negative". Although at that time it was hard to be anything else.
It's a thin line. Being negative and nasty just because the team lost.....and people saying dumb things.....gets old.
Then again, rose colored glasses gets old also.
Overall the balance is maintained very well I think.

It is, but thats largely because of the character of the members here. The foundation has been the same and we have done the hard time together with this team.
When someone like you or Les or .. whoever is negative, we know its not an ongoing thing.
Realism is good. Being a fan usually means being hopefull and rose colored glasses go with that. I understand how negativity can be worse with higher expectations.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I was getting pretty pissed during the game. Especially that play where two guys were doing paper, rock, scissors to see who makes the catch 50 yards downfield. But I don't care for the knee jerk reaction to a couple bad games.

Sure, they're not the same offense they were before the bye. But they did so many good things up to the bye its not unreasonable to think they won't get their mojo back. At least some of it. They just have get back the drawing board and figure it out.

As far as the defense, well, I'm hoping when the playoffs come its a new season and Wade will figure it. The way I see it, we can cross that bridge when we get to it. We're 11-3 and very much in the hunt for a first round bye. It just won't come as easy as we thought.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is, but thats largely because of the character of the members here. The foundation has been the same and we have done the hard time together with this team.
When someone like you or Les or .. whoever is negative, we know its not an ongoing thing.
Realism is good. Being a fan usually means being hopefull and rose colored glasses go with that. I understand how negativity can be worse with higher expectations.
LOL.
Yes, realism is the term I prefer.
Not much negative from me this year however.
This all gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Stump23

Rookie
You are both correct. Having been a fan for 45 plus years and going through all the peaks and valleys, it's easy to come off the tracks a little because success is so fleeting. Collinsworth actually pointed it out last night that maybe the blueprint is out there on both sides of the ball. Ok, so it is. So what. We have AZ and SF in the next two weeks. Great litmus test to really see how the coaching staff adjusts the game plans and for the players to look inside and take that next step it takes to be a great playoff football team. The talent is there, the coaching is there. No more reading the headlines of being Hollywood's darlings. Let's show the everyone that this is a world championship caliber team. As bummed as I am for laying 3 eggs in a row, you can't wallow in the shit. Time to wake up and get this thing going again!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...k-is-playing-worse-than-jared-goff-right-now/

No starting quarterback is playing worse than Jared Goff right now
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 17, 2018

Rams quarterback Jared Goff has rapidly descended from an MVP candidate to the bottom of the NFL.

Over the last three weeks, Goff is at the very bottom: He’s dead last among all starting quarterbacks in passer rating over the last three weeks of the season. Goff’s passer rating over the last three weeks is 51.3. The only quarterback in the NFL who has started even one game and had a worse passer rating in that time is Mark Sanchez, who has been benched.

From Week One through the Rams’ spectacular Monday night win over the Chiefs, Goff threw 26 touchdown passes and six interceptions. In the three games since that win over the Chiefs, Goff has thrown one touchdown pass and seven interceptions.

Those three games were a win over the Lions that was closer than it should have been, a loss to the Bears last week and a loss to the Eagles last night.

The Rams’ two-game losing streak has put them at serious risk of losing out on a bye week in the NFC playoffs. They may find themselves having to host a game in the wild card round, and then, if they win that have to win both at Chicago and at New Orleans to get to the Super Bowl. Considering that the Rams have already lost at Chicago and at New Orleans, that’s a tough path.

And it’s probably an impossible path if Goff doesn’t start playing better.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, we can't sugar coat it. We saw it with our own eyes. He's been bad. Simple as that. But this league is all about adjusting to what the other side is doing. We'll have to see if they can adjust. I'm just as worried about the defense. They played poorly again and its nothing they haven't done all season. If they can't do something about that it won't matter if Goff and McVay find proper adjustments.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/17/nfl-rams-eagles-sean-mcvay-quote-blame/

Sean McVay not taking all the blame: 'Everybody's got a hand in this'
By: Cameron DaSilva

gettyimages-1052706912.jpg

One of Sean McVay’s greatest qualities is his willingness to fall on the sword for his players and coaches. In post-game press conferences following losses – of which there have only been nine since he took over – McVay quickly takes the blame for not doing enough as a coach.

That wasn’t the case on Sunday night after the Rams were upset by the Eagles, 30-23 on their home turf. McVay didn’t take all the blame for this loss. He said it falls on the shoulders of everyone.

“We’ve got to be able to figure this out and figure it out fast because these last couple weeks, we’re doing things that are total uncharacteristic of what good football teams do – what we’ve done through the first handful of games this season,” McVay said. “The only thing we know how to do is go back to work and look at ourselves. Everybody’s got a hand in this and we’ve got to get it figured out fast.”

Typically, his postgame press conference would go something like this: “This loss is on me. I didn’t do enough to help our players out. I put them in bad spots. I take responsibility for the loss.”

That’s nothing like the responses he gave reporters on Sunday night. Of course, he didn’t call out players for their mistakes or single anyone out, but he also didn’t take all the blame as he typically does.

“It’s guys that are making decisions that typically we haven’t seen. It’s guys that are making mistakes that we typically haven’t seen,” McVay said. “But however you cut it, we’re all in this together, we’ve all got to do better. It starts with me, but we’ve got to figure it out. … This wasn’t good enough and it’s a tough pill to swallow.”

This is the first time all year that McVay has seemed to feel the pressure. It’s been relatively smooth sailing up to this point, but after Sunday’s loss, McVay expressed some genuine concern about how the entire offense has played lately.

“There’s concern about our overall operation with regards to just the way that we played specific to the offense the last couple weeks,” he said.

McVay is a huge proponent of preparing correctly and putting players in positions to succeed. He’s never shy about blaming himself for not doing that, but the word “execution” was muttered more often than usual in his press conference Sunday.

“You could just feel there are some things where we’re taking negative plays on early downs as a result of not executing,” McVay added. “When you put yourself behind the sticks, when you take some of the penalties that we’re taking, it’s tough to overcome those against a good defense – a good front that they have – and those are things that we just can’t do and we’ve got to get it fixed.”

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bad Goff kinda reminds me of typical Favre... only without all that ridiculous "pure love of the game" crap.

Ram65

Legend
Early in the year the Rams faced teams without good pass rushes. Now, they are seeing quality pass rush and run stopping front line players. Combine that with teams sitting deep cover 2's allow CBs to have tighter coverage taking away the intermediate routes is making the offense much less effective. The Rams are then making more mental mistakes. It's a snowball rolling down a hill getting bigger and bigger.

Had Natson not fumble the Rams would have had a much better chance to tie the game up.

The Rams have to adjust better to the pressure. McVay needs to have them work on the short passing game. Goff did roll out more this week or at least it seemed that way which helped get him some clear passing lanes. They need to stay ahead of the chains. When good pass rushing team tee of on third down the Rams aren't as effect as they need to be.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Watched McVay live last night and the frustration was evident. Nonetheless I like how he’s approaching it. Pointed comments such that the players will know what he’s talking about, but he’s not tossing anyone under the bus.

Win the next 2 and we roll into the playoffs on a high note

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is growing as a head coach before our eyes, and I think fans forget that. He isn't perfect as a play caller or schemer either, and nobody is. But the decisions that are looming wrt personnel are what he has to take care of now, with three poor games in a row by his offense.

I have enormous faith in Coach McVay, too. He is going to sit the guys he needs to sit and I do think he will adjust snap counts that will result in more 12 personnel.

On the player side of things everyone has to step up with Kupp being out. Because Kupp is one of those guys whose impact goes far beyond a normal starter. That plus good defenses equals players needing to get better in order to sustain the same production they're used to having. And this is going to be critical going into the playoffs where defenses are going to come after our young QB, so in a way it's not the worst thing that we're seeing a need to adjust now vice later.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Rams seem like they've been in cruise control mode since making the playoffs. I mentioned the loss of Kupp in another thread, but I'm wondering if the will to win on these last 2 teams who are trying to make the playoffs is greater than the Rams' will to win having made the playoffs. Sure it's scheme and stuff, but these last 2 teams have brought an attitude. Rams need to get that back and start playing with a purpose, especially in the playoffs where all teams need to play with that mindset or go home.